Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #406 of 932
It is a rather fantastic cable. Just do it :))

thanks man..!
unfortunately (or fortunately) i just pulled the trigger on an Aeris. Roy thinks I should be very very happy with the choice!

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #407 of 932
thanks man..!
unfortunately (or fortunately) i just pulled the trigger on an Aeris. Roy thinks I should be very very happy with the choice!
Aeris? Or aries? Is that a new cable or streamer?

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #408 of 932
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #409 of 932
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #410 of 932
Yeah cos its 4x of 18awg 7n silver.
Yeah true that is quite something but some other rather well known manufacturer offers 4x19awg (so essentially 20% less silver) for half the price.

Even Compared to the new Ingens it seems a little expensive. The Ingens uses 2x18awg of the same wire. So half of the Aeris + 6x 18awg copper and is still 400$ cheaper.

Maybe it's one of the first cables that had to suffer from the increased silver prices and I'm just not used to it yet.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #411 of 932
Yeah true that is quite something but some other rather well known manufacturer offers 4x19awg (so essentially 20% less silver) for half the price.

Even Compared to the new Ingens it seems a little expensive. The Ingens uses 2x18awg of the same wire. So half of the Aeris + 6x 18awg copper and is still 400$ cheaper.

Maybe it's one of the first cables that had to suffer from the increased silver prices and I'm just not used to it yet.

I thought about the ingens but a) I've not had good experience with mixed metals and b) Im not a fan of the mixed silver/copper look; it just looks a bit too messy for me.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #412 of 932
I thought about the ingens but a) I've not had good experience with mixed metals and b) Im not a fan of the mixed silver/copper look; it just looks a bit too messy for me.
Yeah it would look better in a sleeved Version.
Maybe I can report back in the future.

That one really Ticked my boxes.

Looking forward to your Aeris impressions.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #413 of 932
I've been watching Spartacus (the 2009 tv show) on Blu-Ray with my Aeon 2 Closed and Opera cable, and it is very satisfying! :D

I'm using my Hugo 2 as dac and amp, with the crossfeed on red (the lowest level), which increases the bass just a little bit and solidifies the sound into one headstage without really shrinking the stage size. This setup, with any modern show/movie is very close to endgame perfection as far as I'm concerned. With the Opera cable's increase in detail and accuracy, I am starting to notice at times the slight "hardness" in the upper frequencies that turns some people off about the Hugo 2, but mainly just with older movies and wonky music recordings/mixes.

I've read that the TT2 is a bit warmer and smoother (some people say it's an easier listen vs Hugo 2), in addition to more detail/soundstaging goodness, so that will be my next big upgrade once my wallet has had time to recover. I'm confident that with this Opera cable, there is plenty more detail for the TT2 to squeeze out of my Aeon 2 Closed. That will be my absolute endgame until Dan Clark makes a new closed back, like an Aeon 3 or something, where I can use the same wildly expensive cable.

I recently got a Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen, and after much burn in, I have found it has really great synergy with my Dragonfly Cobalt, with the cool, Dragonfly airiness counterbalancing the warm bassiness of the T13. The Cobalt emphasizes the wide soundstage of the T13, and gives good treble detail but still keeps things reasonably relaxed by rolling off the high pitched stuff a little bit.

With the T13 and Cobalt plugged into my little smartphone, I get a very different sound vs the Aeon 2 Closed, much warmer and wider headstage, but still tons of detail. It's certainly "colored", but it feels colored in a natural or analogue type of way, a tasteful, pleasant way. With this setup, I can enjoy a lot more types of music and recordings, it's more forgiving and a little more laid back. The classic 90s movie Hook sounds kind of harsh on my Aeon 2 Closed/Hugo 2, but really excellent with the Dragonfly/T13.

I ordered a Signum cable for the T1 3rd Gen, with a 3.5 mm plug for the Dragonfly Cobalt, and I'm currently burning it in. The stock cable is way too long for portable use, and also has this awful twisting problem, so the Signum will be an improvement on many levels! Bad stock cable, but great headphone, seems underrated. It does sound bad with a neutral amp/dac like my Hugo 2, and especially pre-burn in, which are probably the reasons it gets hated on (besides simply being different from the earlier T1s of course).

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #414 of 932
Well, my Ion+ cable arrived some weeks ago and now they are finally burned. Out of the box I was impressed with the build quality and how it feels and looks, but not so much with the sound, specially compared with my Blackdragon. The great thing is that after 150hrs the clarity was notably improved, bass too. The sound is very natural, rich tonality :)
20210528-233115-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #415 of 932
Just finished my 100 hours burn in on my new Signum cable for my T1 3rd Gen, and now I am going to gush (more) about how awesome the synergy is with the Dragonfly Cobalt coming out of a modest smartphone.

The Signum cable certainly increases detail retrieval vs the stock cable, just not to the insane degree the almighty Opera cable does for my Aeon 2 Closed... it is a subtle improvement. Alongside the extra detail, I am also hearing slightly more refined (pleasant) treble, and a slight shift in the sound signature away from warm/dark and toward neutral. The Dragonfly Cobalt is doing most of the work of reigning in the potentially excessive bassy darkness of the T13, but this Signum cable (maybe because it's silver) is finishing up the job, allowing this hyper-portable high end rig to achieve true greatness.

It's like it does everything. The bass is still dank and powerful, but it now feels fully controlled, focused and still hard-rocking, and it extends very low. The deep bass is not lacking whatsoever. The mids are still warmer than neutral. But with this setup, that warmth is tasteful and generally has no negative impact on any musical genres, just a naturalistic, analogue-like flavor which is unfailingly comfy and non-fatiguing. This treble kicks butt! It's so perfect now... so much detail, yet all of it is presented so politely... I'd call it smooth but never weak or basic. Calm but not stoned, if you get my drift. The Signum, if anything, makes the T13 (in this setup) even more tolerant of wonky recordings.

And the imaging, the soundstage is just bonkers for a tiny portable rig like this, very wide and spacious compared to my Aeon 2 Closed. Hearing the grandeur of a full symphony orchestra coming out of my cheapo outdated phone in bit perfect 24/96 is just like... I don't have the poetry to even do it justice here, but it is pretty legit! Anyone who says they hate the T1 3rd Gen, I guarantee you they didn't hear it with a Dragonfly Cobalt, cause this sounds amazing. This is a well-balanced sound, despite being warmer than absolute neutral.

In the picture here you can see the big daddy 1/4 inch rhodium/carbon fiber plug on my Opera cable and the little bro 3.5mm version on the Signum cable.

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_211404925~2.jpg
    IMG_20210609_211404925~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210609_210436085.jpg
    IMG_20210609_210436085.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210609_205925424~2.jpg
    IMG_20210609_205925424~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210518_185541752.jpg
    IMG_20210518_185541752.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #416 of 932
Well, I have finally started to get some adequate time with the Magnus cable and "burn-in" time as well. This is one impressive cable. While the cable looks hefty and maybe stiff, it's looks are deceiving. It is hefty, but the ergonomics are great. As far as sound, the amount of copper is incredible, this cable will change you preconceived notions of what copper should sound like. Nothing short of great sonics.

20210619_095218.jpg

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #417 of 932
I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I've just joined the Arctic Cables club, waiting for my palladium cable to arrive (thanks @noplsestar !). I'll be using it with my Meze Empyrean. I'm going to write a comparison between my new cable, Lavricables Master, and Meze upgrade silver-plated cable.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #418 of 932
I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I've just joined the Arctic Cables club, waiting for my palladium cable to arrive. I'll be using it with my Meze Empyrean. I'm going to write a comparison between my new cable, Lavricables Master, and Meze upgrade silver-plated cable.

Congrats. That's gg to be a lovely cable indeed. Will make it easy and just say it'll be a no contest between it and your other cables..

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #419 of 932
Well, I hope so!
I was rather skeptical about cables. I mean, not about getting silver from some respected producer in place of the cheap stock copper cable, but about going higher, from good quality cable to TOTL. However, a few weeks ago, I spontaneously bought a Penon TOTEM for my UM MEST, just for experiment. And the result was really worth it, I mean the effect was huge, like changing the source component to a higher class. I expect the same with Empyreans now :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #420 of 932
Well, I hope so!
I was rather skeptical about cables. I mean, not about getting silver from some respected producer in place of the cheap stock copper cable, but about going higher, from good quality cable to TOTL. However, a few weeks ago, I spontaneously bought a Penon TOTEM for my UM MEST, just for experiment. And the result was really worth it, I mean the effect was huge, like changing the source component to a higher class. I expect the same with Empyreans now :)
Report back when you received it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back