Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
May 28, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #391 of 913
Review: Arctic Cables: Cuprum & Magnus:

After ~350 hours burn in, the cryogenically treated 8 X 26 Awg 7N OCC copper Cuprum,
sounds like a knife cutting through hot butter. Everything Ooozes like it's a smooth creamy liquid
with increased 3D texture & layering. This is where I noticed that increased layering decreases harshness
since each individual sound occupies a different space in the 3D shape within the 3D soundstage, in contrast
to how an intercom at school sounds horrible because all the sounds seem be smooshed into one flattened space.
With Cuprum, sheets of synthesized swooshes, now shred effortlessly through the entire soundstage, with
a 3 dimensional texture & shape, I had never experienced before listening to music up until this point.

In contrast, after 40 hours of burn in, the cryogenically treated 4 X 18 Awg 7N OCC copper Magnus,
has, at least a 15% larger stage than Cuprum, if not more. It might not feel that much bigger, since the
entire image is slightly bigger, presumably due to the roughly 3X the copper that Magnus has over Cuprum.
Although Cuprum may have changed my life a bit, since I had never experienced music before in this way before,
Magnus kinda makes Cuprum feel like an IEM cable in comparison. Magnus is definitely more holographic than Cuprum.
Even with no burn in, I could easily tell, side by side, Magnus gives a bit more shape & texture to sounds than Cuprum.

Also, due to it's larger image, Magnus also seems to have a tad bit more resolution than Cuprum.
And Cuprum's resolution / sound separation, was such an improvement over Audeze's stock cable,
that I doubt that an LCD-XF with it's stock cable, would outperform an LCD-2F with Cuprum Or Magnus.
Regardless of whether this is absurd or not, I still feel like my drivers were being neutered by Audeze's stock cable.
Even if one strapped the $599 Audeze Premium cable on the Audeze LCD-XF, I don't think it would outperform
an Audeze LCD-2F with Magnus. I don't think it would be clear which was the more expensive headphone
in a blind test, under these conditions.

Given that most youtube reviewers seem luke warm to dead cold on cables, as a novice audiophile,
I was quite shocked by how much of an improvement, Cuprum & Magnus, were, over my stock cable.
Was I hallucinating this seemingly enormous difference? Was it a matter of what music I/they listen to?
Scientifically it makes sense that crystalline structures that are more orderly will produce clearer sound
reproduction, since we already know this to be true for casting bells. The more ordely the crystalline
structure of the bell, the more resonant the bell sounds. Despite the clear, holographic picture,
7N grade cables can create with the appropriate headphones, this may matter significantly more
to people that listen to very geometrical music, such as, Autechre, Matmos, Richard Devine,
Aphex Twin, Phoenecia, Qebrus, BOC, Squarepusher, Etc.

I question whether the original artists have even heard their own music in this way. This technology,
as far as I know, is pretty new. I'm not sure any cable manufactuer has even attempted a headphone
cable with as much 'metal' as Magnus. Before Magnus, Cuprum was likely the best 'bang for your buck'
cable on the market starting at $250. But now Magnus, for only $50 more, with more than 3X the copper,
is the best 'bang for your buck' cable on the market by a long shot. It's also the most beautiful cable I have ever
layed my eyes on. I'm not sure why anyone would take Cuprum over Magnus, since they're the same grade copper.

In conclusion, both these cables have significantly enhanced my listening experience. I feel like I am listening to
my entire catalog for the very first time. For this review, I have obviouslly been using an Audeze LCD-2F. I have also
been using an iFI Micro iDSD Signature. I generally always have the 3D+ & X Bass switches ON. I love the feeling like
sounds are being suspended out in front of me. I do not consider myself an Audiophile, but more of an Autechrephile.

An Autechrephile is basically an Audiophile that thinks of synthesizer music as an extension of the audio technology itself. Fittingly, Autechre Live might very well be 'Peak Sound Design', and this new line of 18 Awg cables from
Arctic Cables, might very well be 'Peak Cable Design'. I mean, I care more about my Magnus than I do about
my headphones. I feel like my headphones can be replaced. My Magnus can only be replaced as long as
Arctic Cables exists. This might sound irrational but I no longer dream of what an Audeze LCD-4 sounds like,
I wonder what it would sound like with a cryogenically treated 7N OCC 4 x 18 Awg cable attached.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #392 of 913
Review: Arctic Cables: Cuprum & Magnus:

After ~350 hours burn in, The Cryogenically Treated 8 X 26 Awg 7N-ish OCC Copper Cuprum,
sounds like a knife cutting through hot butter. Everything sounds like it's a creamy liquid.

Sheets of synthesized swooshes, 'shred' effortlessly through the entire soundstage,
with a 3 dimensional shape, that I had never experienced before listening to music
until now. I guess this what they mean by 'holographic'.

In contrast, after 30 hours of burn in, The Cryogenically Treated 4 X 18 Awg 7N-ish OCC Copper Magnus,
has a roughly 15% Bigger soundstage than Cuprum. It doesn't necessarilly feel bigger, because the entire
image size is slightly bigger, presumably due to roughly 3X the amount of copper Magnus has over Cuprum.

Magnus also seems be even more holographic than Cuprum. Even without burn in, I could
immediatelly tell, side by side, that Magnus has slighly more 'shape' to sounds than Cuprum.

Also, due to it's larger image, Magnus also seems to have a bit more resolution than Cuprum.
And Cuprum's resolution / sound separation, was such an improvement over Audeze's stock cable,
that I doubt that an LCD-XF with it's stock cable, would outperform an LCD-2F with Cuprum Or Magnus.

Whether this sounds absurd or not, I still feel like my drivers were being neutered by Audeze's stock cable.
Even if you strapped the $599 6N Audeze Premium cable on the LCD-XF, I don't think it would outperform an
LCD2F with Magnus. At the very least, I don't think it would be clear which was the more expensive headphone
in a blind test, under these conditions.

Given that most youtube reviewers seem luke warm to dead cold on cables, as a novice audiophile,
I was quite shocked by how much of an improvement, Cuprum & Magnus, were, over my stock cable.
Was I hallucinating this seemingly enormous difference? Was it a matter of what music I/they listen to?

That is, 7N-ish grade copper, may matter most to people that listen to very 'geometrical' music,
such as, Autechre, Matmos, Richard Devine, Aphex Twin, Phoenecia, Qebrus, BOC, Squarepusher, Etc.

I question whether the original artists have even heard their own music in this way. This technology,
as far as I know, is pretty new. I'm not sure any cable manufactuer has even attempted a headphone
cable with as much 'metal' as Magnus. Before Magnus, Cuprum was likely the best 'bang for your buck'
cable on the market starting at $250. But now Magnus, for only $50 more, with more than 3X the copper,
is the best 'bang for your buck' cable on the market by a long shot. It's also the most beautiful cable I have ever
layed my eyes on. I'm not sure why anyone would take Cuprum over Magnus, since they're the same grade copper.

In conclusion, both these cables have significantly enhanced my listening experience. I feel like I am listening to
my entire catalog for the very first time. For this review, I have obviouslly been using an Audeze LCD-2F. I have also
been using an iFI Micro iDSD Signature. I generally always have the 3D+ & X Bass switches ON. I love the feeling like
sounds are being suspended out in front of me. I do not consider myself an Audiophile, but more of an Autechrephile.
Nice overview, thanks. Care to share photos of these cables side by side?

May 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #393 of 913
Here is a picuture of 'Magnus' next to 'Cuprum' on the bottom left,
This a retweet from one of my favorite musicians. If anyone were curious.
Richard Devine is a prolific sound desiigner that has done the sound effects
for Google Stadia, the engine noises for the Jaguar iPace, as well as numerous
projects for Apple, NIke, etc.

Attachments

• Richard Devine  @RichardDevine    Twitter.png
    Richard Devine @RichardDevine Twitter.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #394 of 913
My apologies if this has already been discussed. I can see that a lot of folks like the Signum+ for the Focal Stellia, but I could not find the Signum+ on the Artic website. This is what I got back from Val @Artic re: their thoughts on cables for the Stellia. I’d be interested if anyone here has tried the Integra cable, esp with Stellia.

“The Stellias have incredible scaling capabilities. So you sure can expect further improvements the higher you go in the lineup.

The Argento was called the Signum, and the Signum+ was the 8-wire version. This caused some confusion in the lineup, so we changed the Signum X4 to Argento, and the Signum X8 is now called Signum.

The best pairing you can get within the $500~$700 range would be the new Integra series. With its massive 18AWG per conductor, the amount of pure silver of the two 18AWG conductors already surpassed the X8 26AWG silver by far, and on top, you have an additional two massive 18AWG of the purist OCC copper.

This pairing is pure bliss with the Stellia.

The Signum X8 would be the next best option at a lower price, followed by the Argento X4 cable.
For a copper-based cable, the Magnus is definitely the best way to go.”

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #395 of 913
I did a complete review of the Cuprum and will be working on the Magnus as soon as I can. My weekly traveling has picked up and it makes it difficult to give the cable proper burn-in and listening time, especially when on the road. That said, I love the Magnus cable. It has authority, and contrary to what may be traditional thought, especially with the amount of Copper in the Magnus, it does not thicken up the signature, it provides quality tonality to the bass and midrange without impeding treble extension. My Denon D9200 and Magnus pair so well! I no longer have the Cuprum, but I do have the Fusion cable(now called Cross) so I will show some side by sides of those two.
20210502_083931.jpg20210529_132225.jpg20210529_132326.jpg20210529_132335.jpg

May 29, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #396 of 913
I did a complete review of the Cuprum and will be working on the Magnus as soon as I can. My weekly traveling has picked up and it makes it difficult to give the cable proper burn-in and listening time, especially when on the road. That said, I love the Magnus cable. It has authority, and contrary to what may be traditional thought, especially with the amount of Copper in the Magnus, it does not thicken up the signature, it provides quality tonality to the bass and midrange without impeding treble extension. My Denon D9200 and Magnus pair so well! I no longer have the Cuprum, but I do have the Fusion cable(now called Cross) so I will show some side by sides of those two.
20210502_083931.jpg20210529_132225.jpg20210529_132326.jpg20210529_132335.jpg
Nice!

How soft/flexible have you found the Magnus vs. the Cuprum? I know sound quality is paramount, but I also appreciate a soft/flexible cable. For me the less intrusive it is, the more the headphone can fade into the background so I can focus on the sound.

May 29, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #397 of 913
Nice!

How soft/flexible have you found the Magnus vs. the Cuprum? I know sound quality is paramount, but I also appreciate a soft/flexible cable. For me the less intrusive it is, the more the headphone can fade into the background so I can focus on the sound.
I totally get it. Here is my Cuprum review https://audiorabbithole.com/arctic-cables-cuprum-review/
From what I can remember I'm not giving anything up on ergonomics compared to the Cuprum versus the Magnus, for the sound quality I think it's a worthwhile upgrade, but it is subjective and from memory so take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #398 of 913
Dies anybody know if the new Ingens will also be available in a sleeved Version?

May 29, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #399 of 913
From recent posts, I am glad to see Arctic Cables is still maintaining their excellent customer service, replying to inquiries and being forthcoming with information and suggestions.

I find this quite rare in the industry. Roy and Val and their team are a gem and i hope they can keep this up for a long long time. Their patience with queries, prompt replies, and going the extra mile, in addition to an already great and varied line of products makes them an easy choice.

May 29, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #400 of 913
Dies anybody know if the new Ingens will also be available in a sleeved Version?
I communicated with Artic recently about sleeving. I did not ask about Ingen specifically, but Val had this to say:

“We can sleeve the Argento X4 cable. The Signum X8 cannot be sleeved due to its 8-wire construction, making it too thick to fit standard connectors.”

As Ingen is also an 8-wire cable (and a thicker one at that), it seems unlikely that it can be sleeved.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #401 of 913
Got my first "real" camera so wanted to test it out. I have no idea what I'm doing but the subject material makes it worth a view :beerchug:

ac_integra_1.jpg
ac_integra_4.jpg

Attachments

• ac_integra_2.jpg
    ac_integra_2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • ac_integra_3.jpg
    ac_integra_3.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #403 of 913
Hey @NYanakiev

Can i ask how the Pallas is doing with the Utopia?

I already have the first iteration of the AC Palladium cable, but this is shared between the Susvara, Stellia and Utopia (by way of adaptors). I am looking for a spare cable to hook up permanently to the Utopia.
Essentially, dont feel like spending Opera amounts of money.
Aeris X4 was a consideration, but also quite pricey.
Considering Pallas since it is cheaper and is an X8 config which i quite like in terms of heft and feel over an X4 variant.
Next option from Pallas would be to get a Signum again (but i have owned this once in the past before)..

May 31, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #404 of 913
I communicated with Artic recently about sleeving. I did not ask about Ingen specifically, but Val had this to say:

“We can sleeve the Argento X4 cable. The Signum X8 cannot be sleeved due to its 8-wire construction, making it too thick to fit standard connectors.”

As Ingen is also an 8-wire cable (and a thicker one at that), it seems unlikely that it can be sleeved.
Thanks for your response.
Thr detail about Standard connectors made me inquire as well.
When terminated on 4 pin XLR it should be possible. (Other connectors are too small ) and Arctic Cables is checking that for me.

However he also told me that is will be less flexible and more microfonic, so he does not recommend it

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #405 of 913
Hey @NYanakiev

Can i ask how the Pallas is doing with the Utopia?

I already have the first iteration of the AC Palladium cable, but this is shared between the Susvara, Stellia and Utopia (by way of adaptors). I am looking for a spare cable to hook up permanently to the Utopia.
Essentially, dont feel like spending Opera amounts of money.
Aeris X4 was a consideration, but also quite pricey.
Considering Pallas since it is cheaper and is an X8 config which i quite like in terms of heft and feel over an X4 variant.
Next option from Pallas would be to get a Signum again (but i have owned this once in the past before)..
It is a rather fantastic cable. Just do it :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back