ArcAOS operating system
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

marcelnl

500+ Head-Fier
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm not so sure if the application and breadth of the OS is worth what it's listed for....but there is a 45 day eval version of OS/2 V4

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Let's make a deal, okay.
I don't sell anything, just talk about my experience using ArcaOS as an audio player and network streamer.
I don't offer referral links or codes to get a trial period, and I can't even give discounts, I don't have them, I'm not related to those who earn money on this OS.
I am an enthusiast, one of the few who was not afraid to try.

It seems to me that there are too few alternatives in the world, digital sources are mostly built on the basis of OS Linux, and all the fences are described about its features. I invite the bold and curious to taste the sound of an undeservedly forgotten OS.
I am ready to provide all possible assistance with tips and recommendations to those who decide to build a source based on this OS.
For those who are not ready to go through the process of selecting working hardware and installing software on their own, there is a manufacturer that makes ready-made digital sources based on ArcaOS, but it does this in Russia, which is quite far from the readers of this forum.
About OS2 v4 i.e. WarpOS - it is very unlikely that you will install it, due to the fact that this very old version of the OS does not have drivers for modern hardware.

There is an heir to Warp OS, it is called EComstation. This OS has a Demo version, but again, by today's standards, the drivers in this OS are very old, most likely the main ACPI driver will not be able to properly manage interrupt tables on relatively modern hardware. But if you have, for example, a laptop from IBM/Lenovo or there is not too fresh computer on the processor 2010 release or older, then you have the opportunity to hear this OS.

I recommend using motherboards or laptops with Atom or intel Core processors up to the fourth generation to get the best compatibility with ArcaOS.
In half a year, most likely, compatibility issues will no longer be a problem.

Description of ArcaOS in the next branch.
Not just another build of some OS you know
Some limitations

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 10
OK, clear, I for one did not expect any free lunches, was just baffled by the lack of an evaluation version.

Would ArcaOS run on an old Xeon server, something like an old Proliant Xeon with :

• 2x Xeon E5645 (12 cores/24 threads) found one with like 144Gb RAM, an NVEM SDD that sounds promising as test bed :) (cooling that monster passively is likley the biggest challenge, aside from having 0 experience with servers...
Have been reading up on digital (A LOT) and plan to DIY an über sort of mediacenter focussing on audio alone, headless, with passive cooling and linear PSUs all over, simply to compare with my currrent Intel NUC 5PPYH on LPS with separate SDD PSU and Jcat USB on a LPS running Daphile.

Seems that W server 2016/2019 are somehow good for sound these days and even W10 (?). Audiolinux is another contestant , so are Euphony and ArcaOS.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Would ArcaOS run on an old Xeon server, something like an old Proliant Xeon with :
I do not think so
1. NVME SSDS will only be supported in the next year while developers test the new driver.
2. Why does the audio player (not counting BUGHEAD) need so much memory??? One 2GB module is enough for ArcaOS and It will be happy to play even DSD files of any resolution for you. For this reason, even the selection of modules with the lowest power consumption matters, and certainly the rejection of the second DDR channel brings a penny to the sq piggy Bank.
3. there should be no problems with processors, OS / 2 supports multi-processor and multi-core since the times when it was not heard of either in Windows or Linux. But a complex motherboard from the server can be a problem, since often such motherboards use a video core from ATI and how ArcaOS will work with It, I can't guarantee.

If you have a desire to test different operating systems without problems with compatibility with the Xeon processor I can recommend a very interesting motherboard - Supermicro X11SSV-M4
It really deserves your attention.

Seems that W server 2016/2019 are somehow good for sound these days and even W10 (?). Audiolinux is another contestant , so are Euphony and ArcaOS.
1. As a media server on which, for example, Jriver is installed, I would really recommend installing Windows Server 2019, or 2008r2. I also added Audiophile Optimizer to this configuration and used the software handles to remove unnecessary junk from the system services and task scheduler.
2. I can't say anything good about AudioLinux, it's a classic sound that I don't like, I call it a set of sounds.
3. I listened to Euphony quite often and had the honor to participate in testing this OS, my friend was a regional representative, or something like that. It is difficult to give an unambiguous assessment of this OS because it has too many features for extracting audio from different players and there are also many optimization modes for the OS itself. For a long time I was impressed by its detail and beauty of delivery, but it was the fact that it makes the sound beautiful that scared me off.
I can hear live instruments and analog recordings on vinyl, and when the sound becomes colored like a model on a catwalk, it ceases to interest me.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 10
interesting feedback! thanks for sharing your thoughts, it seems we have the same thing in mind; rendering digital files in the cleanest way while preserving all the natural aspects of the recording.

For now I think I am in a place that I like with the NUC, Jcat USB, SU1- I2S all on linear power supplies going into my Dac, YET there is this nagging idea that dynamics could be bolder especially on my current high efficiency fullrange horn/open baffle speaker). One avenue to each that is finally completing the tube amp, the other is another OS, a third path is different computer hardware (I bought the NUC to explore if pursuing this path is worthwile or to invest in some great vinyl and a TT).

From reading up on the net I found an interesting lead in the folks behind Taiko audio, who make a server/player that they called 'extreme' (and for good reason). My thought is that CPU's should be allowed to remain as lazy as possible to keep heat down and not suffer from crosstalk between the fine print on the CPU and (thermal) noise and digital nonsense flying ariound such as EMI. Having as wide of a pathway between memory and CPU should be benificial to avoid cueing etc, the newer boards skip a Memory Interface allowing the CPU to tap into the memory on a multilane highway :wink: .
Somehow MS seems to have made leaps in operating the CPU and memory, resulting in better sound (I for never never would have believed they would be capable of making someting that sounds OK).

More CPU power seems to correlate to more granularity and dynamics and relaxter sound at the same time, so I read.
I am about to install euphony on an SSD in a laptop to audition it for a bit aside my Daphile, once I'm convinced it has merits I'll use the NUC for a more in depth audition as the linear Power Supplies make quite a difference.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 10
I am about to install euphony on an SSD in a laptop to audition it for a bit aside my Daphile, once I'm convinced it has merits I'll use the NUC for a more in depth audition as the linear Power Supplies make quite a difference.

Just do not forget that in the NUC you have all the necessary power lines are obtained from one input and this is done on the NUC Board by switching DC-DC converters.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 10
I know, that the NUC is not that great either, it was a start to investigate serious computer audio...using 19V in and converting it onboard to 12, 5, 3.3 etc is no good especially as I can imagine what they are using on that board...one of the reasons I want a larger board with more connectors is that I can supply all rails with a separate LPS.

The NUC on its wall wart sounded better than the laptop on battery and adapter, the NUC on LPS sounded a lot better but a bigger jump in SQ was adding the Jcat USB and supplying separate power to the SDD. (aside from the improvement caused by the last Daphile Beta RT version)

I bet I'll be tinkering for a while to come...meanwhile the Jcat seems to have died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back