Arcam rHead - fully Class A, fully discrete, ultra linear headphone amplifier
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 74
I know the mid-price headphone amp market has become very compeitive over the past few years, and I'm wondering how the rHead holds up. I don't doubt the quality of the rHread, I've been very impressed with mine, but I'm looking at moving into my office as part of my desk system and starting to wonder if I should go with a newer stack, or stick with the rHead.

Currently using the Hifiman 4XX, and I could see myself getting the 6XX and possibly a higher end Hifiman in the future. I don't have a dac in here, so I will be purchasing a DAC either way. So my question really is should I be looking at just adding a balanced DAC, or should I maybe move to something like one of the following stacks that currently on the market? I think if I sold the rHead it would be about the same out of pocket either way, maybe a hair less.

Stacks I'm considering:
Schiit Modius + Asgard
Topping D50s + PA3 + P50
TXH AAA + Various Dac options

I figure either way we're looking at around a $200ish DAC and a max total around $500. So do I keep the rHead for the desk stack, or move on to something else?

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #47 of 74
I know the mid-price headphone amp market has become very compeitive over the past few years, and I'm wondering how the rHead holds up. I don't doubt the quality of the rHread, I've been very impressed with mine, but I'm looking at moving into my office as part of my desk system and starting to wonder if I should go with a newer stack, or stick with the rHead.

Currently using the Hifiman 4XX, and I could see myself getting the 6XX and possibly a higher end Hifiman in the future. I don't have a dac in here, so I will be purchasing a DAC either way. So my question really is should I be looking at just adding a balanced DAC, or should I maybe move to something like one of the following stacks that currently on the market? I think if I sold the rHead it would be about the same out of pocket either way, maybe a hair less.

Stacks I'm considering:
Schiit Modius + Asgard
Topping D50s + PA3 + P50
TXH AAA + Various Dac options

I figure either way we're looking at around a $200ish DAC and a max total around $500. So do I keep the rHead for the desk stack, or move on to something else?

Provided your current and future headphones can be driven adequately by the rHead, you’ve got another option if your max budget is $500. You could keep the rHead and get a DAC with a balanced output, if one is available for $500 or less. I use a Topping D90 with my rHead and it is an exquisite combination. The D90 has balanced outputs connected using XLR cables to my rHead’s balanced inputs. This kind of combo would give you a lower noise floor and a slightly wider dynamic range and lower distortion. You’d get to keep the Class A output of the rHead and your budget would be spent on a good DAC. Perhaps a used D90 DAC might be possible within your budget?

That“s the kind of combo I’d look at where you’re maximising sound quality.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #48 of 74
Provided your current and future headphones can be driven adequately by the rHead, you’ve got another option if your max budget is $500. You could keep the rHead and get a DAC with a balanced output, if one is available for $500 or less. I use a Topping D90 with my rHead and it is an exquisite combination. The D90 has balanced outputs connected using XLR cables to my rHead’s balanced inputs. This kind of combo would give you a lower noise floor and a slightly wider dynamic range and lower distortion. You’d get to keep the Class A output of the rHead and your budget would be spent on a good DAC. Perhaps a used D90 DAC might be possible within your budget?

That“s the kind of combo I’d look at where you’re maximising sound quality.
Just to be clear, the budget is only $400-500 for a combined stack, and that's because I could sell my rHead for $200-300. Out of pocket in that case is still $200-300 max.

Dac budget would be $200ish, could possibly creep up to $300. That budget is lower because I would be keeping the rHead.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #49 of 74
I should also add that I'm not really focused on the DAC at that point. I'm more curious if there are newer headphone amps, particularly ones that are part of stacks, that might beat out the rHead. My gut tells me to keep the rHead, but I'm not as up to speed on the headphone arena and I knew this community would likely know best.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 74
I recently compared a handful of recent sub-$600 headphone amps over at Darko Audio. The rHead is older but totally competitive with any of them, and actually still better in many ways. So while I quite enjoy the Asgard 3 and Drop THX 789, for example, and feel they have a lot to offer, I wouldn't say they are better than the rHead.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #51 of 74
I recently compared a handful of recent sub-$600 headphone amps over at Darko Audio. The rHead is older but totally competitive with any of them, and actually still better in many ways. So while I quite enjoy the Asgard 3 and Drop THX 789, for example, and feel they have a lot to offer, I wouldn't say they are better than the rHead.
That's exactly the type of reassurance I was hoping to hear! Now I just need to figure out what DAC to pair with it. The rHead gets zero use in my listening room, so I figured I should bring it into the office since I've just been running my 4XX off the computer out of convivence.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #52 of 74

I bought a rHead in mint condition recently. It blew away the Asgard 2 I was using. This rHead amp has a "wow" factor that appeals to my audio savor. I'll have to check out your comparison of recent sub-$600 amps as I'm looking for another good [amp] since the Asgard 2 has been abated.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #53 of 74
That's exactly the type of reassurance I was hoping to hear! Now I just need to figure out what DAC to pair with it. The rHead gets zero use in my listening room, so I figured I should bring it into the office since I've just been running my 4XX off the computer out of convivence.
A fellow "New Head-Fier" here. I recently bought a slightly used rHead in mint condition. It's the best audio purchase I've made in some time. I'm running an Arcam irDAC to the rHead and it's easily the best combo I have right now. I had an Asgard 2 connected to the irDAC, but the rHead totally annihilated it in sound quality. I'd also say keep the rHead if you still like it... but it seems you've already decided to.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #54 of 74
A fellow "New Head-Fier" here. I recently bought a slightly used rHead in mint condition. It's the best audio purchase I've made in some time. I'm running an Arcam irDAC to the rHead and it's easily the best combo I have right now. I had an Asgard 2 connected to the irDAC, but the rHead totally annihilated it in sound quality. I'd also say keep the rHead if you still like it... but it seems you've already decided to.
I appreciate that feedback! It sounds like the rHead has a long term place in my office and should hopefully scale up nicely if I ever decide to get some nicer headphones in here. I am looking for DACs right now, but I'm sticking with balanced designs because I already have some decent Zu Mission balanced cables and that's just one less thing to purchase later.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #55 of 74
I bought a rHead in mint condition recently. It blew away the Asgard 2 I was using
I had a similar experience when I moved from Asgard2 to rHead.

That experience was repeated when I stepped up to the LakePeople RS08. You can find them for about $500 used if you're patient.

Still, for $300 (any amp new or used) the arcam is phenomenal and I shouldn't have sold it. It's smooth and musical, but controls the bass punches far better than the old Asgard 2. It doesn't decay nearly as long as other amps and the transient hit is tight and clean/fast preserving the balance between sub bass and mid bass; and portraying technical "timing" to boot.

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #56 of 74
I discovered this topic just now.

I have an rHead paired with an AKG k7xx and it sounds magnificent.

It definitely took out the Litlle Dot MK IV and Magni 3 I had.

I also have a Beyerdynamic T1.1.

The T1 uses it with a Darkvoice, which with the correct tubes far outperforms Arcam.

But for the AKG, because of its high sensitivity and low impedance, marriage with Arcam is divine.

It really is an amp worth a lot more than what I paid for it.

This one dies with me. haha.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #57 of 74
I discovered this topic just now.

I have an rHead paired with an AKG k7xx and it sounds magnificent.

It definitely took out the Litlle Dot MK IV and Magni 3 I had.

I also have a Beyerdynamic T1.1.

The T1 uses it with a Darkvoice, which with the correct tubes far outperforms Arcam.

But for the AKG, because of its high sensitivity and low impedance, marriage with Arcam is divine.

It really is an amp worth a lot more than what I paid for it.

This one dies with me. haha.
I know what you mean! It's incredible value for money if you can fine one. I have two rHeads at home: one for my desktop audio system and one for my bedside headphones system.

I'm running Beyer T1.2 with one of them and it works well, even though the T1.2 is 600 Ohm. I've never tried another headphone amp with the T1.2. I find that I have plenty of volume available with the volume control at around the 1 o'clock position.

I think that the prices of the Arcam rHead might start to creep upwards over time.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #58 of 74
I know what you mean! It's incredible value for money if you can fine one. I have two rHeads at home: one for my desktop audio system and one for my bedside headphones system.

I'm running Beyer T1.2 with one of them and it works well, even though the T1.2 is 600 Ohm. I've never tried another headphone amp with the T1.2. I find that I have plenty of volume available with the volume control at around the 1 o'clock position.

I think that the prices of the Arcam rHead might start to creep upwards over time.

You should listen to your Beyerdynamic T1 with a tube amp.

My T1 in Darkvoice with the right tube set has the most open, deeper and layered stage, the vocals much sweeter and much more natural, the tonal balance is magnificent, the three-dimensionality is significantly increased, meaning the sound it's better in many ways. It's really worth it.

If you consider that Darkvoice costs around $300 and another $200 for a top-of-the-line valve game. For $500 you get a sound on your T1 that you'll hardly find on a solid state amp, even on amps over $1000.

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #59 of 74
Hi John. I was looking for your review on this unit, bit it seems to be wiped from the internet.
I am familiar with the THX789, Asgard 3, Magnius and Magni Heresy. Current headphones are the Focal Elex and HS650.
Do you mind sharing your thoughts (again) on how the Rhead compares? Is it still a good buy especially for the prices they go for these days?

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #60 of 74
Hard to say without directly comparing all of them, back to back, in the same rig with the same music... but generally speaking I'd say the rHead is roughly midway between the THX789 and the Asgard 3 in terms of tonality - not as bright or detailed as the 789, and less warmth than the Asgard 3. It would really come down to system matching and musical preferences, and one could make a good case for the preference of any one of them. There's obviously the availability issue, the warranty issue if buying used, etc. But all else equal, they are roughly on par with one another imho.

I haven't heard Magnuis/Magni so no comment there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back