Arcam rHead - fully Class A, fully discrete, ultra linear headphone amplifier
Jul 26, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #61 of 74
I have the Arcam rHead connected to an irDAC, a very enjoyable pairing.

generally speaking I'd say the rHead is roughly midway between the THX789 and the Asgard 3 in terms of tonality - not as bright or detailed as the 789

Does this refer to the 789's Balanced or SE output... or both? I definitely like detail and generally prefer bright over dark.

I've been considering a 789 for its balanced output (not as a preference, rather as an option) to drive my highest impedance headphones and a few very hard to drive planars that make the rHead run hot at 2 to 3 o'clock.

The DAC I have in mind for the 789 is a Yulong DA8 that is currently connected to an Asgard 2 as a preamp for a Little Dot 3 (using a variety of valve tube pairs).

My preferred music genres are classic rock, jazz, blues, and stoner/post modern rock. I'd consider a different DAC for the 789 (new or used) under $400 or even a different amp and DAC combo under $700 total.

If you have any brief thoughts off the top of your head they would be most appreciated. Regardless, I'll still be researching options.

Cheers!

Jul 26, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #62 of 74
The 789 doesn't give much appreciable difference in tonality whether using balanced or SE output, if I recall correctly. Balanced does give double the output current so that's welcome with certain headphones.

If you enjoy detail, and "prefer bright over dark", and you may at times use more demanding/difficult planars, the 789 may be worth it over the already very nice rHead.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #63 of 74
The 789 doesn't give much appreciable difference in tonality whether using balanced or SE output, if I recall correctly. Balanced does give double the output current so that's welcome with certain headphones.

If you enjoy detail, and "prefer bright over dark", and you may at times use more demanding/difficult planars, the 789 may be worth it over the already very nice rHead.
It makes sense that tonality shouldn't vary between balanced and SE, so it would definitely be for the increased output current of balanced on the 789. Much appreciated!

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #64 of 74
Hi John. I was looking for your review on this unit, bit it seems to be wiped from the internet.
I am familiar with the THX789, Asgard 3, Magnius and Magni Heresy. Current headphones are the Focal Elex and HS650.
Do you mind sharing your thoughts (again) on how the Rhead compares? Is it still a good buy especially for the prices they go for these days?

FWIW: I'm very fond of my rHead amplifier (bought it used months ago) and have it paired with an Arcam irDAC. It's easily my favorite pairing out of all of my headphone components. Then again, none of my discrete headphone amps retailed for more than $500 new. The rHead's background is very black even when it's not playing but the volume is still up. Also, I have yet to hear it distort with good headphones, even at full volume with hard-to-drive planars (but it can get a bit hot after a while).

As an aside, I happen to have a Focal Elear with Elex pads (from Massdrop) and the HD650. The rHead handles both of them very well, especially the Focal. Occasionally, I like to listen to the HD650 on my Little Dot MK III tube amp (with matched pairs of Mullard M8161 or GE JAN 6454) using an Asgard 2 as a preamp from a Yulong DA8 in 'Pure DAC' Mode. But it sounds great on the rHead too.

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #67 of 74
As far as I know, the balanced inputs are there for convenience. Using them won't change the output impedance on the SE outputs. So no worries about damaging headphones. I don't think it would make a difference in sound quality, either. But I could be wrong about the last point.
Ok good to know, I think I’m going pair with the Schiit Modius so I’ll see how that goes.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #68 of 74
When I had the rhead (I sold it last year) my unit had an issue with ground loop and shutting off with a red blinking light at moderately high volumes. Using the XLR inputs fixed this issue completely for me - for my case I could say the sound quality did change because it eliminated the noise and actually meant I could listen with no issues at higher volumes.

ifi Black Label -> RCA to XLR cable -> rHead.

Their customer support was super helpful and helped explained what was happening. It was awhile ago but I'll post their response to my issue incase it may help someone in the future -

I have tested the unit with a ground loop isolator connected to the RCA and it fixes the problem of the DC offset however I get a buzzing sound that is proportionally louder with the volume that does not go away even if music is playing.
Buzzing implies a ground loop which breaking the grounds with the isolator would make worse. The ground would want improving rather than isolating. A better cable/cables might achieve this.

I connect the Arcam rHead via RCA to my DAC and when the volume is set too high (past 70% or so) the unit will switch to a blinking red light (DC offset detected) and I have power down the volume and then back up again for the rHead to go back to green and responsive. Sometimes I play music at high volume and it will be ok then all of a sudden switch to blinking red light and other times it happens straight away when volume is too high.
So it is doing this because I suspect there is a DC offset in the grounds (hence why the isolator fixes it). Looks like the offset isn’t enough to trigger the DC offset protection on its own otherwise it would kick into protection straight away at low volumes.
Its going into protection at high volumes because its clipping either simply due to signal level or combined signal level and DC offset at the input. When it clips it sees DC.

I have also tested the rHead connected just to a portably DAC (ifi micro Black Label) by RCA with no music playing and isolated ( arcam rHead connected to power supply -> Rca -> battery powered DAC ). When I set the Dac to direct mode (not pre-amp) and I turn the volume up to about 70% the rHead switches off with red blinking lights.
Its going into protection at high volumes because its clipping. When it clips it sees DC. As the DAC is battery powered it is unlikely there is a DC offset present but again better cables will help remove any that there is.

You could try using RCA to XLR convertors and using the XLR input. It might help to remove the DC from the ground loop but it’s a suck it and see job. No guarantees.

- This is a great amp though, very clean and powerful and top tier for its price bracket.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #69 of 74
When I had the rhead (I sold it last year) my unit had an issue with ground loop and shutting off with a red blinking light at moderately high volumes. Using the XLR inputs fixed this issue completely for me - for my case I could say the sound quality did change because it eliminated the noise and actually meant I could listen with no issues at higher volumes.

You could try using RCA to XLR convertors and using the XLR input. It might help to remove the DC from the ground loop but it’s a suck it and see job. No guarantees.
I've enjoyed the rHead amp immensely and don't plan to part with it in the near future. Thanks for sharing your experience and how you resolved the problem. It might come in handy (hopefully not). I'm glad I didn't go all-in on 'no sound quality change with XLR input.' The fix you employed was along the lines of something I was trying to envision but didn't think of precisely. It's fortunate you cleared that up so easily. Maybe it's another testament to Arcam's overall product quality.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 74
I’m thinking of running a balanced dac in to my rHead with XLR, does anyone know how this would affect the end result of the headphones?
This is how I run things. Works great. Has no impact on the headphone out apart from possibly a tiny improvement in noise floor and dynamic range. The headphone outputs are still single-ended.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #71 of 74
arcam rhead worked perfectly with SRH-940 and SRH-1540 that have lower impedance, but had loose bass with Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd generation) and their 600 ohm. I guess high imedance T1 (2nd gen) headphones requires high output impedance which is not there with rhead.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 74
Owned the rHead for just over five years now, bought brand new for £175 and still use it daily - it just works and sounds great.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #74 of 74
The little class A beauty that never got the recognition it deserved. Reading through the thread again made me think it must not have sold well at all, to be heavily discounted and even given away for free with some headphones.

Hang on to this gem if you still have it guys, I have feeling you’d regret it if you let it go.

IMG_8842.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back