aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,082 of 2,078
Press and hold the Soft Touch button on the Dongle to be sure then it is not down to software.

KB9P BT Adapter - Indicator LED Status..png

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,083 of 2,078
maybe something is wrong with my ear. lol
i did some blind test last days between the native aptx code from windows11, kb8p aptx-adaptive and t10p aptx-adaptive, somehow i can't really tell any differences between these aptx variants. however the iphone aac is significant worse compared to aptx on momentum 4.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,084 of 2,078
Are you sure Windows was using aptX as now it defaults to choose AAC which IMO is dumb, so it is now SBC / AAC / aptX, you can edit the registry if you want to avoid this.

aptX and aptX Adaptive will sound basically the same if you are listening to CD rips as all it is doing is 16/44.1k at a lower bitrate than aptX (between the two antennas not your files) while claiming to still be as good or better.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,085 of 2,078
Are you sure Windows was using aptX as now it defaults to choose AAC which IMO is dumb, so it is now SBC / AAC / aptX, you can edit the registry if you want to avoid this.

aptX and aptX Adaptive will sound basically the same if you are listening to CD rips as all it is doing is 16/44.1k at a lower bitrate than aptX (between the two antennas not your files) while claiming to still be as good or better.
Yes I made that registry change and sennheiser app show me the streaming codec was aptx, I use Amazon music, no matter hd or ultra hd Titel all same

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,086 of 2,078
Whats wrong with AAC tho.
the windows implementation, though not as good as AAPL, still sounds ok.
did a measurement as well, with the earbuds attached to a fiio utws5 on AAC windows.

looks ok. latency seems fine too.
note that mic is not reference mic though. but its decent enough and suitable for personal use case.

refer my spl graph.
also note the screwed up phase differential as a result of latency
the dropoff at 8khz exists for both aptx(adaptive hi qual) and AAC.
side by side comparison exactly the same

Note: Test A done on KB9P. Test B done on windows kernel.
KB9P was calibrated.
Either UTWS5 is compensating, making it really good, or UTWS5 sucks so much thats its the bottleneck.

Attachments

• JH16UTWS5x48000x24.jpg
    JH16UTWS5x48000x24.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,088 of 2,078
I feel like people have been focusing mainly on audio quality recently with this codec discussion.
What about the other good parts about aptX Adaptive? You know, the "Adaptive" part? If all you care about is audio quality, why are you not on LDAC? Oh right, because its 990 kbps mode is unstable as hell and 660 is already not great (and 330 is complete garbage). Why not aptX HD then? A lot easier to find. I'd say the power of Adaptive is that it's the "do it all" codec, even if it isn't best at anything. Worse latency than aptX LL, (probably) worse quality than LDAC 990, if you can hear a difference that is... but it's decently good at all of these things, simultaneously. And the stability is really good, if you have a decent transmitter and receiver.

(Also, I guess once aptX Lossless actually hits, Adaptive will be best at the audio quality part. But we'll have to see how well it can even hold its high bitrates in practice, maybe it'll suffer from the same issue that LDAC 990 has. I hope that the dynamic scaling will just be extended all the way up to the purported ~1000 kbps, and with a non-ideal connection it'll drop down a lot more smoothly than LDAC does. At that point there'd truly be no reason to ever bother with LDAC again, if you have the choice.)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,089 of 2,078
What has that to do with this topic?

If you like AAC so much you have no need for these dongles,
ooh struck a nerve there havent i.

low bitrate is low bitrate.
poorly compressed algorithm is poorly compressed algorithm.
thats why hi-fidelity sound is a high target to achieve. Every physical and software chain must be in place to satisfy the criteria.
Which is why i generated the curve. Because SBC has freq drops at 8k.
And i wanted to show that AptX-adpv and AAC doesnt do that. (or they both do so, but in this measurement, identically so.)
I'm codec agnostic.
If it sounds good and accurate to reference, or even if it modifies reference for the better, i'm happy. doesnt matter what it does, or even if its lossy.
If there exists a windows A2DP mod which allows you to change the AAC compression method, and there exists a really good one, then you're right. I have no need for the dongle.
But it doesnt, and windows AAC is good, but its not Apple good. Enter Aptx-adaptive dongle.
Hope that answers your question.

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,091 of 2,078
Got my KB8P updated to 2.28. I re-flashed it with v1.5 and then it took v2.28. Now the English KB8P Dongle Assistant 2.0 works with it.

I see mention of a "KBC" in the new dongle assistant. I'm guessing this is the same overall device but with USB-C? I'd be delighted to learn it's both USB-C and QCC3071 but I doubt I'll get that lucky,
I have an "old" KB8P version 1.3. I am not able to upgrade it to 2.29 firmware... The updater command is "empty" (just blinking cursor) ?? I succeed to upgrade it to v1.5, but 2.28 or 2.29 do not work... Any idea ? Thanks

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,092 of 2,078
I have an "old" KB8P version 1.3. I am not able to upgrade it to 2.29 firmware... The updater command is "empty" (just blinking cursor) ?? I succeed to upgrade it to v1.5, but 2.28 or 2.29 do not work... Any idea ? Thanks
In my case, my KB8P needs a bluetooth device connecting to it before doing the update. You may try the same, if you haven't before.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,093 of 2,078
Unfortunately the BT-W3 I ordered and got today is DOA. Light is permanently blue without anything paired and master reset won’t work. Windows says it’s malfunctioning. Plan was to use it with an iPhone 14 Pro.
Any ideas or alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back