aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Mar 8, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 2,086
Glad to see this thread. I've been waiting for an AptX Adaptive USB adapter to come out. I hope this improves the state of things for low latency earbuds.

The baidu pan file "KB8 pairing tool.zip" or as I see it, "KB8-KB8P-KB9高级配对切换编码工具.zip" was different for me from helmutcheese' quote. The access time metadata reads March 5th. Might be a good idea to download again now, and again later in case they upload yet more revisions.

I already ordered the KB8 a few seconds before seeing this thread. It sounds like the KB8 already prioritizes AptX-LL, which is what I want. However, I might one day want to be able to switch codecs, which sounds only possible with the KB8P plus software (thanks for the links!!). I've got some credit on Superbuy so I think I'll pick it up also.

I've been using Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds with a Creative BT-W3 with AptX-LL. All is good (~60ms on smartphone, imperceptibly low on PC) but all AptX-LL dongle/device combinations I've tried suffer from pops and clicks. The sennys also have poor battery life. It looks like AptX-LL is being discontinued generally; all new "low latency" BT earbuds with AptX Adaptive are not backwards compatibile with it. Momentum TW 2 do not support AptX-LL.

I've tried Edifier TWS1 Pro earbuds to test AptX Adaptive waters. The latency with my smartphone, which supports Adaptive, exceeds 400ms. The BT-W3 plugged into the phone yields ~260ms (green light/aptX). I get ~250ms on PC.

I hope this will solve the pops/clicks with aptX-LL earbuds, and I hope to see sub-100ms latency with aptX-Adaptive devices.

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #17 of 2,086
Some have reported on various sites inc Reddit that they have audio stutters on the KB8, as my AliExpress order never arrived, and the one I then ordered was from a UK seller on EBay UK which does not stutter on any codec so it may be newer stock

I tested with my FiiO LCBT2 Neckband so SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX-LL/aptX-HD and with SoundPeats Sonic Pro's & SoundPeats H1 Premiums both aptX Adaptive and no matter how long I use them there is no stuttering but that is not to say it could randomly appear.

I never noticed the KB9 part number before.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 2,086
The KB9 is essentially the KB8 with a 3.5mm AUX analog input. So, it’s a 2-in-1. USB Audio or analog stereo in to BT aptX Adaptive, etc. out. Could be useful where USB Audio isn’t an option, e.g. with a DAP that has 3.5mm and won’t output via USB.

7-CC964-AD-BFDC-425-F-9955-15-A649692-E06.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 2,086
Last night while I slept listening to brown noise it suddenly stopped, the media player was still going (12-hour file), and the volume was still set to where I left it and the Red LED proved it was still connected in aptX Adaptive, but this happened twice, and it woke me both times.

I hope this is not the start of issues with this Adapter.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 2,086
The KB9 is essentially the KB8P with a 3.5mm AUX analog input. So, it’s a 2-in-1. USB Audio or analog stereo in to BT aptX Adaptive, etc. out. Could be useful where USB Audio isn’t an option, e.g. with a DAP that has 3.5mm and won’t output via USB.

7-CC964-AD-BFDC-425-F-9955-15-A649692-E06.jpg
Thanks for the info! I bought this and should arrive in a month or two.

It seems like you're really knowledgeable about this product. I was wondering: from Google translate seems like this is just plug and play, and that should be all set. Is the software necessary? Are you using it do disable everything except for adaptive? My understanding is that is the newest format. Or is it OK to just plug and play and let it do its thing.

Thank you!

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #21 of 2,086
Thanks for the info! I bought this and should arrive in a month or two.

It seems like you're really knowledgeable about this product. I was wondering: from Google translate seems like this is just plug and play, and that should be all set. Is the software necessary? Are you using it do disable everything except for adaptive? My understanding is that is the newest format. Or is it OK to just plug and play and let it do its thing.

Thank you!
So, the only job I think the software is needed for is to disable codecs you don’t want because without doing that, you are at the mercy of the preference order the manufacturer set. That’s only a problem for when you have devices that use both aptX HD and aptX LL. It was a problem for me because I have the Maedhawk X4 receiver which supports both of those and the preference order had LL first. I’m not a gamer and therefore LL is superfluous to requirements for me. Because of the default codec search order, I could never achieve aptX HD with this specific receiver. The software allowed me to disable LL and aptX (classic version) because my personal preference is for high quality audio. For me, this ensured that I always get aptX HD on receivers which do not support aptX Adaptive. My other primary need was aptX Adaptive for the FiiO UTWS5.

While aptX Adaptive is designed to supersede aptX HD and LL, receiving devices need to support it. It’s not a free upgrade to aptX HD/LL devices. An aptX Adaptive transmitter will connect to an aptX HD receiver but it does not work the other way around. If you have headphones which support only aptX Adaptive and try to connect to an aptX HD or LL transmitter, you will only connect with AptX (Classic).

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #22 of 2,086
So, the only job I think the software is needed for is to disable codecs you don’t want because without doing that, you are at the mercy of the preference order the manufacturer set. That’s only a problem for when you have devices that use both aptX HD and aptX LL. It was a problem for me because I have the Maedhawk X4 receiver which supports both of those and the preference order had LL first. I’m not a gamer and therefore LL is superfluous to requirements for me. Because of the default codec search order, I could never achieve aptX HD with this specific receiver. The software allowed me to disable LL and aptX (classic version) because my personal preference is for high quality audio. For me, this ensured that I always get aptX HD on receivers which do not support aptX Adaptive. My other primary need was aptX Adaptive for the FiiO UTWS5.

While aptX Adaptive is designed to supersede aptX HD and LL, receiving devices need to support it. It’s not a free upgrade to aptX HD/LL devices. An aptX Adaptive transmitter will connect to an aptX HD receiver but it does not work the other way around. If you have headphones which support only aptX Adaptive and try to connect to an aptX HD or LL transmitter, you will only connect with AptX (Classic).

Thank you for the very detailed and helpful explanation! I'm almost exclusively using wired gear, but I'm so excited to give this a try. Thank you for posting about this. It's kind of odd and a bummer that it's not even on AliExpress, and I had to go through an agent and buy it through Taobao. The two month wait will be torture.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 2,086
My first Taobao order was 18 days. It seems to be pot luck. My second order got stuck in their system and it went round and round in loops of security checks. It then ended up back at the sender. They re-sent it. The loops started again but then suddenly it got out of China and arrived a couple of days later.

Qualcomm says that devices using its brand new "aptX Lossless" codec are due in the second half of this year. It's hard to predict how soon we'll see a manufacturer producing a transmitting dongle for it but I'll be keeping my eye out. Plus we'll need new receivers to use that as well, knowing Qualcomm. Because they've rebranded a pipeline of chips "Snapdragon Sound", some are hoping that anything with the brand might be upgradable but that's never been in Qualcomm's nature. It's a business, not a charity. Qualcomm's marketing says that aptX Lossless is going to be considered part of the Snapdragon Sound "package". So, start saving now for next wireless purchases either later this year or this time next year. :L3000: I'm also hoping for some other kind of hi-res lossless wireless revolution this year... which will no doubt also require us to buy new equipment.

I have to say though... my hi-res lossless from Apple Music pumped out through aptX Adaptive/UTWS5 to my 7Hz Timeless sounds pretty good. Difficult to distinguish from wired listening on the same DAP and IEM's.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #24 of 2,086
IMG-0121.jpg

The middle and right dongles arrived a few days ago from Taobao. I was amazed how small the USB-C one is. Sadly it still isn't supported by my FiiO M11 Plus. Also they are only 16-bit 48KHz but I have to say, the output again sounds very good with the FiiO UTWS5. I almost felt that it sounded better than the one on the left which is capable of 24-bit 96KHz.

They do appear to be by the same manufacturer or at least the same firmware writer. They are not supplied with software tools. They also have LL ahead of HD in their codec selection order and are more like the K8 in that sense.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #27 of 2,086
For some reason, the Ali (and possibly ebay) sellers don't seem to care enough right now. I messaged one of them asking to stock the KB8P but they asked what the difference is in a way that sounded like they didn't get it or think it was relevant. I had to explain the differences [back in January]. Still no sign of the KB8P or KB9 on sale on those sites. They've probably been sold a job-lot of the 16-bit ones and now need to shift them before they can think about others. The 16-bit ones only seem to exist to meet a price point. Ultimately, they could have just done 24-bit ones but that would set a higher cheapest sale price for any of their aptX Adaptive adapters.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #29 of 2,086
That’s the store I asked to stock it. 😂 That’s a great price. I paid about twice that I think with the route I had to take. Now I need to get them to stock the KB9.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 2,086
I had to mess about to get that URL to work, but it does not show the Chinese symbols in Gold above the status LED like the other 24/96 models did on that other site.

Be a bummer to order and it is the same older 16bit one I already have

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back