aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Jun 8, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #2,222 of 2,393
you are so helpful, thats what a forum is all about. glad you joined lately! gotta love that generation that mostly communicates in pictures, specially when leaving their usual playgrounds and bring all their wisdom to established platforms
I'm happy to get into flame wars all day, but that's not why I'm on this specific forum. But you have come into this topic least knowledgeable of anyone, acting like a bull in a china shop. And I won't reward bad attitude with knowledge by correcting you. Try some humility next time.
The problem with aptX Adaptive is that you never know what you are getting... My Q5k shows 48 kHz and 420 kbps - it's the only device I have that shows data rates. My iFi Gryphon show 48 kHz also but not the data rate... I also have the FiiO FW5 that shows nothing...
FMA120 just added RSSI and bitrate to the latest firmware. Lossless works on 1 mbps.

Jun 8, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #2,224 of 2,393
FMA120 just added RSSI and bitrate to the latest firmware. Lossless works on 1 mbps.

Well, I have BT-W5 and have no idea what rates it supports. My assumption is 420 kbps max in HQ mode. Also, I don't think I have any devices that can receive beyond 420 (AFAIK).

But it's all advertised as aptX Adaptive... which was my point... :frowning2:

I am trying to keep up with the developments before I buy any new hardware.

Jun 8, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,225 of 2,393
Well, I have BT-W5 and have no idea what rates it supports. My assumption is 420 kbps max in HQ mode. Also, I don't think I have any devices that can receive beyond 420 (AFAIK).

I doubt you are missing anything as far as audio quality. The only real difference IMO at this point is the LE audio support on the FMA120 which barely exists as a product at the moment, and the selling point on that is low latency. The BT-W5 is really nice, I like the color coded codecs and the physical control button which the FMA120 doesn't have. I only returned mine and ended up with the FMA120 because the Windows app kept disconnecting from the dongle(the dongle would still work fine, but unable to be controlled).

Jun 9, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #2,226 of 2,393

it should be 620kbps for bt-w5 if 24bit 96khz
420kbps for 24bit 48khz

Jun 9, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #2,227 of 2,393
it should be 620kbps for bt-w5 if 24bit 96khz
420kbps for 24bit 48khz

Is any of this information (aptX Adaptive revisions, bitrates, etc) documented anywhere? I'm just trying to figure out what my devices actually support. For example my FiiO FW5 has QCC5141... Not sure what BT-W5 has as transmitter (620, 860 or just 420 kbps max?)...

Jun 11, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #2,229 of 2,393
So my quick review of FMA120 + QCC5181 cable for GAMING (aptx lite) + mic (for discord) is just - dont do it. At least not with this cable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006160041908.html but i doubt others would work better.
Reasons:
1. Mic sounds really bad, although their marketing says 'Built-in HD Microphone Combined with Qualcomm aptX Voice (32kHz) + cVc10.0 Noise Cancelling Technology', it is just a noisy mono mic that sounds terrible.
2. Makes me sound like Megatron 2 meters away from my PC (and a a brick wall, yeah thats on me probably but still).
3. Mic volume is very low, and if i disable noise suppression on Discord (to boost the volume) the noise is very bad. Preamp in EAPO doesnt do much until like +5db and past that if you laugh or talk a lil louder it fries the other's ears.
4. Even standing in the chair like 40cm away from the FMA120 at times the sound starts to pop and need to disconnect/reconnect the cable to fix it.

Lossless works... effortlessly tbh if thats what you are into at least on the short period i tested it.

I think im done with wireless for some time, plug the cable back into the iems and buy a desk mic. Btw, i know that this isnt the topic for it, but if you can recommend some decent sounding budget one (that can be mounted on an arm) i'd appreciate it.

Jun 11, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #2,230 of 2,393
Plz report aptx lite sound quality and aptx voice
1718114022810.png

So my quick review of FMA120 + QCC5181 cable for GAMING (aptx lite) + mic (for discord) is just - dont do it. At least not with this cable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006160041908.html but i doubt others would work better.
Reasons:
1. Mic sounds really bad, although their marketing says 'Built-in HD Microphone Combined with Qualcomm aptX Voice (32kHz) + cVc10.0 Noise Cancelling Technology', it is just a noisy mono mic that sounds terrible.
2. Makes me sound like Megatron 2 meters away from my PC (and a a brick wall, yeah thats on me probably but still).
3. Mic volume is very low, and if i disable noise suppression on Discord (to boost the volume) the noise is very bad. Preamp in EAPO doesnt do much until like +5db and past that if you laugh or talk a lil louder it fries the other's ears.
4. Even standing in the chair like 40cm away from the FMA120 at times the sound starts to pop and need to disconnect/reconnect the cable to fix it.

Lossless works... effortlessly tbh if thats what you are into at least on the short period i tested it.

I think im done with wireless for some time, plug the cable back into the iems and buy a desk mic. Btw, i know that this isnt the topic for it, but if you can recommend some decent sounding budget one (that can be mounted on an arm) i'd appreciate it.

Jun 11, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2,231 of 2,393
I cannot wait to try the FMA120. Hopefully they fix the microphone issues. I have been using Vaorolo little adapter for Aptx Adaptive. Fortunately FMA120 is available on Amazon. The other thing I have tried is the Alternative A2DP Windows Driver but when it uses the microphone, I cannot control the volume in Windows :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #2,232 of 2,393
Plz report aptx lite sound quality and aptx voice
1718114022810.png
It sounds better, cuts the noise id say... in half. Thing is it looks like it doesnt work alongside aptx lite, its just separate. If aptx lite shows as codec in use, mic sounds like before. If aptx voice shows as codec in use, i dont think the output is on Lite since it sounds different.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,233 of 2,393
It sounds better, cuts the noise id say... in half. Thing is it looks like it doesnt work alongside aptx lite, its just separate. If aptx lite shows as codec in use, mic sounds like before. If aptx voice shows as codec in use, i dont think the output is on Lite since it sounds different.
No, I meant the sound quality of aptx lite on regular music or hifi source material. Unless you were the guy I asked this last week already.

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #2,234 of 2,393
No, I meant the sound quality of aptx lite on regular music or hifi source material. Unless you were the guy I asked this last week already.
i guess the sound quality is fine.

as for my mic issues, Ranson said:
aptX voice is designed for online chatting using traditional Bluetooth HFP, while aptX Lite is intended for the new LE audio standard. Therefore, they cannot run simultaneously. There might be improvements for aptX Lite in the future, but for now, the mic on the BT-5181-Pro might also require some optimization. You may already know that Qualcomm's QCC5181 chip has CVC embedded, but not all devices using this chip are optimized.

Jun 14, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #2,235 of 2,393
Is any of this information (aptX Adaptive revisions, bitrates, etc) documented anywhere? I'm just trying to figure out what my devices actually support.
Its a huge mess (whats new, bluetooth yay!). If you find a list please share. I just save notes from other helpful posters in this thread. We have to remember literally component SoC numbers and what freaking version, of the same name of aptX adaptive, it has, r1, r2, r2.2, r3. AFAIK it seems they're backwards compatible, so getting a QC5181 will have all variations of aptX adaptvie.

FYI:
Yes, QCC5181 seems the way to go. USB Dongle with this SoC will have LE Audio (with something called aptX Lite in addition to LC3), but not the aptX Lossless (which should be called aptX Adaptive r2.2 or r3). QCC3086 also seems to support USB Dongle firmware, but only SBC, LC3 and aptX/LL/HD/Adaptive. QCC5181, on the other hand, can run almost any other codec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back