Appropriate headphone type/style for bicycling
Jul 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of biking do you do? Road, mountain, xc?

I ride to/from work and often at lunch or in the evening. I ride at a minimum of 1 hour a day, and often 2+ hours. Most of it's on city bike paths. I really enjoy music when I ride. It's about the only time I listen to headphones other than the gym or flying.

Bryan

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 27
I use my E2c a few times when biking, but i didn't suggest you a headphone/earphone that isolates outside noise. It's very dangerous to ride without been able to listen to any car, person, animal, other bikes, etc.
You can easily get hurt ...

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmckenney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ride to/from work and often at lunch or in the evening. I ride at a minimum of 1 hour a day, and often 2+ hours. Most of it's on city bike paths. I really enjoy music when I ride. It's about the only time I listen to headphones other than the gym or flying.

Bryan

I see. I mountain bike and find the KSC75 the best for my needs. I also own the PX100 but the wind noise is incredibly loud with that pair. IEMs might not be safe on the road, if size is important I would suggests trying the PK1/2.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 27
you guys are scaring me. Sound is the most important clue for defensive biking. I'd feel safer riding with my glasses off than listening to headphones.

Mooch

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys are scaring me. Sound is the most important clue for defensive biking. I'd feel safer riding with my glasses off than listening to headphones.

Mooch

AMEN! Thats exactly what i said!
When you bike YOU SHOULD NEVER LISTEN TO MUSIC! If you wanna get hit by a car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't be biking with headphones on; it will only cause you problems. Unless your biking in a quiet trail then that’s fine. But do not use in-ear when biking because you lose all hearing sense and you might cause or get into an accident on your bike.

I'm a mountain biker, and I normally don't recommend music cause I need to listen to everything that is happening. And especially in the city, listening to music while riding your bike can get you killed!

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #22 of 27
i ride about every style of biking there is. the least amount of wind noise i have experienced is with the Atrio M5 with the Shure black tips. and i have never had much of a problem with them losing the seal as i biked. i also commute, but i am also the biker you see weaving in between cars during traffic. if you are always on the look out, you dont need your ears (if you know what you are doing, if not, you might get hit)

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 27
"you guys are scaring me. Sound is the most important clue for defensive biking. I'd feel safer riding with my glasses off than listening to headphones."
I have to agree with that 1000%.
.....and I should state - I DO wear glesses. When riding where there is traffic - at the very least, I need to hear everything! Where this is no traffic - I enjoy the solitude in early weekend mornings with simply the hum of the tires over the road. Peace.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 27
I have ridden with my PortaPros but in reality it only takes one hit and you won't be listening any longer. I have biked in all invironments and the best time is when you are in a quiet spot sitting beside your bike. :^)

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #26 of 27
either ride harder so you don't notice the SQ so much or wear some ibuds or something. iems are a sure way to get hit by something when u r biking! don't be a bonehead! I had to be honked at and almost hit by cars a ton of times before I realized I wasn't invincible!

I guess if you are on a bike trail or something wear IEMs if you please, but in the city, come on!

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Anybody who uses IEMs is ridiculous. KSC75s are accepteable, tho... I can hear my surroundings just fine, plus good motivational music at the same time.

Perhaps bone conduction headphones are the BEST for bikers, tho. If someone would review the 2 most popular ones, we'd all worship you and kiss your feet!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back