Appropriate headphone type/style for bicycling
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bmckenney

New Head-Fier
I have UE Pro 5's and find them to be reasonable but not great for bicycling. In one sense they provide reasonable SQ because they block out some of the outside sound, but wind rush from riding still comes thru. Plus the seal is always being broken because of body and head movement. Also, I think they are dangerous because I can't hear much from the outside and I'm worried about not hearing cars or other bikes coming up behind me. It's a bit of a catch-22.

I'm not sure IEMs are the best choice. I did search the archives and there was a lot of mention of using an open headphone.

So what would be a good type of headphone to use? My criteria would be that it's a phone that doesn't need a seal like an IEM does. That it's open so I can hear outside noise. That it still provides good isolation so I can hear the music well at lower listening levels. That I can wear the phones while also wearing a bike helmet. And finally, if possible, I'd like a phone that insensitive enough that I'll notice the benefit of using my GoVibe amp (I don't find an amp provides any sonic benefit when used with my UE Pro 5 IEMs and that really sucks).

Thanks,
Bryan

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 27
wind has no effect on the ksc75 but isolation from streetnoise gone tough

edit: nvm i should have read yor post twice before i reply
the ksc75 and your helmet wont be friends

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 27
you're pretty much restricted to IEMs/earphones exclusively if you plan on wearing them with a helmet on. headphone bands and helmets do not work, at least not with high quality headphones

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 27
When biking, i use a pair of cheap sony's, in ears, that i got from circuit city, like a 20 dollar pair.

You dont want an isolating set of speakers for bike riding, less you wont hear the semi that wipes you out.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 27
You shouldn't be biking with headphones on; it will only cause you problems. Unless your biking in a quiet trail then that’s fine. But do not use in-ear when biking because you lose all hearing sense and you might cause or get into an accident on your bike.

I'm a mountain biker, and I normally don't recommend music cause I need to listen to everything that is happening. And especially in the city, listening to music while riding your bike can get you killed!

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wind has no effect on the ksc75 but isolation from streetnoise gone tough

edit: nvm i should have read yor post twice before i reply
the ksc75 and your helmet wont be friends

actually, i second that recommendation as well. being over-the-ear type headphones, they have no headband, and you'll have no problems with your helmet, since helmets tend to leave an inch of space above your ear (they don't come down that far). for $15, the KSC75 is a no brainer if you want good SQ and no isolation (both a good and bad thing in your case). considering your usage, biking, i personally would just get the KSC75, as there aren't many good alternatives to IEMs and regular headphones

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 27
Are these really cheap over the ear headphones like the Koss and Sony going to sound good? Maybe I should have added SQ as a criteria. Or maybe I should lower my expectations on SQ for this application.

Bryan

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 27
Has anyone tried using buds like pk1s or pk2s? Another idea would be more open canalphones, such as Vibes which dont isolate much (I believe JBL220s are open also?) If you could get earclips to stay on, ksc75s are always a good idea, but I couldn't get them on to save my life.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 27
What about a behind-the-head like the PMX-100 or iGrado?

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 27
KSC-75 x3

They are open enough to hear traffic and you can wear them with hat or helmet. They are also cheap and sound quality can't be beat for the $ ($15.97 at amazon)

i use them on my bike every day with iriver and cmoy and they work great

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmckenney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these really cheap over the ear headphones like the Koss and Sony going to sound good? Maybe I should have added SQ as a criteria. Or maybe I should lower my expectations on SQ for this application.

you should definitely lower your SQ expectations, but with that said, the KSC75 has excellent sound quality considering how much it costs

Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
Sennheiser PX-100's work fine for me when I'm biking.

and you have no problems with your helmet? i have the PX100s as well and I can't imagine using them with a helmet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back