Apple - you have made me want to harm you physically.
Mar 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

-=Germania=-

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok,

I have been a very good consumer by paying for my music and generally complying with the laws of the land.

Now Apple, you have never been my friend or have I ever admired you as a company. I have been a rather faithful consumer of your iPod because of its 3rd party support, innovation, and overall reliability. I was one of the early adopters in buying the iPod Touch and I really still do like it. The problem is the buggy firmware, which you have made strides to be better. It came to me almost unusable before and still has frequent issues. I purchased your software update after being assured that your VPN would work corretly and just like the iPhone...which it did not $20 of a student budget wasted. Without that VPN, I am unable to use any if the other apps as they are all web-based....thanks a BUNCH!

Now, I was convinced that the SDK would come in febuary - just like you said and with all these new apps...so I didn't jailbreak much because I wanted to be a good consumer and use quality applications. Now you tell me today that these fabulous things won't be availible til JUNNNNNNEEEEE! Whatever, I can wait a bit for something good...it better be good.
Then you tell me that you will be giving this FREE to the iPhone users, but that the Touch users will be forced to pay AGAIN!!! You already charged me for something that I should have gotten for free the first time and now you have just REALLY TICKED ME OFF!

I know you former VP's, many of them, and they all left because of the stupid crap like this that you pull. NO OTHER MAJOR COMPANY GETS AWAY WITH THIS! No one else charges for a firmware update, much less charges one group and not the other. When windows comes out with a new service pack, they don't make you pay another $100. When there is a driver update or software update to your existing application, they don't charge you. Yet somehow, you feel ENTITLED to my money and my buisiness. I am just plain sick of it. I could handle that you just wanted to make money, but this sort of GREED is universally depised!

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 56
Both groups are getting charged and this is not just a firmware update. I agree with you in principal, but not in spirit. I envy your life if this is what it takes. Yawn.

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 56
thats why i didnt feel at all bad at jailbraking my iphone! forcing you to one operator, im not a fan of the apple ethos, maybe when they get more present the eu will come down on them like microsoft

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 56
wow, such whinery. what's with all the capitals? i understand the frustration with delays. i was looking forward to the SDK announcement today and now will have to wait at least 3 months.

BUT, the reason apple charges touch owners but not iphone owners is because of the different accounting practices attached to each device. they have to charge you for the software updates on the touch.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 56
This thread title really piqued my interest.

..maybe consider an addendum... B.O.H.I.C.A.

At some point the pain will outweigh the pleasure.
I personally think you've yet to reach your threshold.
Hang in there.

Apple thanks you for your loyalty. /tongue firmly in cheek

Lightnin'

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 56
This is typical of Apple's marketing and profit making strategies. If this behavior bothers you so much, just don't buy the products. There are alternatives and many of the are as good or better. Apple lives off of hype and trend buyers. You can choose if you want to play with them or not.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GZeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is typical of Apple's marketing and profit making strategies. If this behavior bothers you so much, just don't buy the products. There are alternatives and many of the are as good or better. Apple lives off of hype and trend buyers. You can choose if you want to play with them or not.

Apple doesn't just profit from hype and trendiness. I touched my first Apple in 1979 and have stuck with them. Yes, Apple releases flawed products now and then, but there is a reason it has loyal customers. Apple has let me down as many times in 30 years as Microsoft has in the last month. It's like any relationship - you have ups and downs. It's just that Windows locks you in the basement and beats you for no reason at all. Should add that Linux treats me well, too.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple has let me down as many times in 30 years as Microsoft has in the last month.

1985 for me. But I would like to say that my last three apple purchases; MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod Touch were ALL returned because of major product defects. I don't know if I will be going with Apple on a NEW product any time soon. Used to be you could trust them to put out a stunning product in human interface design and reliability. I think the latter standard has gone in the toilet the last couple years. And I DO NOT like the precedent of charging for firmware or software updates, nor the $20 they charged for the new software for the touch/phone (why because it is free to the new customers, way to piss off the early adopters).

All in all I like Apple though. But I still sold my stock.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sooooo there when the google phone comes out in summer/fall....as confirmed by my friends who work at google!

I may get one in the future too, but how do you know you'd get the features you're bitchin' about not getting for free with the iPhone? As someone who knows several Google employees and worked there myself until three months ago, I'd be careful trusting everything you've heard. I'm afraid your fragile nature might not take a second disappointment ... depending on what you mean by a gPhone.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sooooo there when the google phone comes out in summer/fall....as confirmed by my friends who work at google!

oh really. and i bet it wont be locked etc, i thought it wasnt going to happen, good news there.
google are ace, google maps, gmail, etc and all free,
i switched my main mail account to gmail and it works so well with thunderbird,

another good company is mozilla, also very good

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 56
I don't get your complaining at all. Most firmware upgrades, like service packs for XP, are simply designed to make the existing firmware work better, fixing bugs, etc. Apple is adding entirely new features, and therefore they have the right to charge for the upgrades.

Also, I do not understand why people with an ipod touch should be complaining. They purchased an ipod, not a phone. They paid a one-time fee, and thats it.

Us iphone users paid for a phone and an ipod, along with all of the other features for an additional cost up front, not to mention the monthly charges, which apple gets a piece of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back