Apple Student Discount
Nov 29, 2005 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
How does this work? Is there a way they check to see if you are enrolled in the school you say you go to? I was just curious. I would assume they do something so people don't just say they go to a certain school.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 19
They don't seem to care. Just go into the Apple site and under Education you tell them what state, then what institution you attend, and then fill out a simple form. I didn't bother to read it. When you go back to shopping, the prices drop a little. For the 60 GB iPod Video, the price went from $399 to $369. A couple of clicks later, the order was processed and my credit card was charged for the lower amount plus taxes.

(I'm a faculty member at a college here in Cayman, so I'm eligible, but I don't think they have the time nor inclination to check up on it.)

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 19
Bah. I wish they officially offered the Education Discount to high school students. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait a few more months rather than risk it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Venio

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Went to apple website, clicked on educational link, ordered a nano, selected my community college (which I really am a student of), paid and checked out. They didn't even ask for my student ID, but I remember that they do if you buy something in-store. Honor policy
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 19
on the canadian site they ask for your university and student number

i was wondering though, how much would you save for a 15" Powerbook? i'm planning getting one for university but i am not registered yet (gr 12) and i'll most likely be going in the new school year. And because i don't have a student number i can't see how much i would save, if anyone knows that'd be great.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 19
I am a canadian univeristy student. The non education price I got from the site was $2399 and after inputting my univeristy and student they gave me a price of $2199. Also, Apple Care is cheaper with the education price ($364 instead of $539). So, without Apple Care you save $200, with apple care you save $375. You will also save more money if you upgrade any components (RAM, hard drive, etc.) or plan on buying any software, since there is a $10-$50 difference in prices depending on what upgrade your talking about.

Hope that helps.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 19
Staff at a Canadian retailer told me they selectively check up w/ the institution you claim to attend a month or two later... this person claimed to known people who have been sent a bill for the difference. I have no idea how accurate this is but it might be something to consider.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 19
I have been looking into that, too.

I'm going to a community college right now (finishing up grade 12) and I am going to be going a full-time student there soon, too.

It includes my school, so I think I might get a 15'' PowerBook.

*checks the price for the one person*

EDIT: It listed $2,038.00 for me with Apple Care. But no one should get a Mac without Apple Care, so I won't list the price for a non-Apple Cared Mac.

Okay. Fine. I will:

$1,799.00

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 19
I should mention that my prices are in canadian dollars and I am assuming that the above posts price is in american.

I would also agree that you shouldn't by a powerbook without apple care.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 19
people still using the $30 discount coupon for a new online account, this is for a purchase more $300 dollars.

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 19
I have used the discount in person at the Apple Store. I remember flashing my school ID, but think that the 2nd time I used it I just said I was a student at UCLA. Again, I don't think they are too strict about it.

But, like anything else, if it gets abused I could see them killing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back