Apple Music... Seriously?
Jul 10, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #286 of 360
by the way guys, i have found the solution to the problem i mentioned here in the thread about me losing all my purchased albums since updating to iOS8.4 with Apple Music..at first all purchases are missing on my itunes "purchased" tab on my macbook itunes app, just earlier i opened on my iphone, went to music app, i clicked on the upper left icon like a small circle and i clicked on "view apple ID", an option came up "hidden purchases" and there it is all my albums ready for download again, it was not good for Apple to do have purchases hidden by default, i never touched that option. i thought i would never recover my albums..anyway, if you have a similar issue as mine that's what i did and it worked for me..

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #287 of 360
Can somebody please explain this..

I have both Deezer and Apple music (8.4) on my IPhone 6. Deezer is set to HQ, Apple has no option but as I'm using wifi I'm assuming it's 256kbps.

I decided to play some music between both music apps using Audeo Phonak pfe232 earphones (with grey filters and comply tips - as neutral as you can get using these earphones).

I searched for Michael Jackson. Selected His number 1s album (with the "Ones" being in red colour on the album cover, and played "Bille Jean (single version)" using both apps, multitasking from one app to another, same volume.

5 seconds into the song I found something strikingly worrying.

Deezer panned the cymbal to the far right.

Apple Music however, panned the cymbal to the left.

The difference is night and day when using headphones.

I A and B tested it over and over and it was always the same. To my ears Deezer sounded more natural playing this track.

Same album, same track. Who is hosting the wrong file or is it being tampered with?

If you have access to both services (Deezer HQ) test yourself.

Thoughts?

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #288 of 360
Can somebody please explain this..

I have both Deezer and Apple music (8.4) on my IPhone 6. Deezer is set to HQ, Apple has no option but as I'm using wifi I'm assuming it's 256kbps.

I decided to play some music between both music apps using Audeo Phonak pfe232 earphones (with grey filters and comply tips - as neutral as you can get using these earphones).

I searched for Michael Jackson. Selected His number 1s album (with the "Ones" being in red colour on the album cover, and played "Bille Jean (single version)" using both apps, multitasking from one app to another, same volume.

I A and B tested it over and over and it was always the same. To my ears Deezer sounded more natural playing this track.

Same album, same track. Who is hosting the wrong file or is it being tampered with?

If you have access to both services (Deezer HQ) test yourself.

Thoughts?

Apparently there are more than one master around. I didn't notice it before, but I could find both versions on Youtube.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #289 of 360
Hi everyone, somewhat off tread.... Have given Apple Music, Tidal and Qubuz a serious listening to. I have to say Qobuz wins hands down re SQ. Just wondering why Qobuz is not getting the thumbs up? It's aimed at people like us who appreciate music re SQ. Am i missing something,  the likes of Tidal and Apple Music are marketed for the general consumer while HF generally caters to the audiophile community!

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #290 of 360
  Hi everyone, somewhat off tread.... Have given Apple Music, Tidal and Qubuz a serious listening to. I have to say Qobuz wins hands down re SQ. Just wondering why Qobuz is not getting the thumbs up? It's aimed at people like us who appreciate music re SQ. Am i missing something,  the likes of Tidal and Apple Music are marketed for the general consumer while HF generally caters to the audiophile community!

Availability I'd say. We haven't had the pleasure to check it out yet. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #291 of 360
Good Point  Sparkofinsanity (great user name) 
smile.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #292 of 360

I have the song from Thriller, Thriller (25th anniversary) and the History collection. The shaker is in the right channel on all of them. 

The version on Number Ones in Apple Music is mirrored and doesn't sound very good. Try the one on Thriller (25th anniversary), it's correct and sounds sweet :)

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #293 of 360
I also wanted to subscribe to Qobuz after Jay Z bought Tidal but it's not available in my country either.
smile.gif
I trust Germans when it's about cars, but the French when it's about art. They really care about sound quality. Spotify is terrible.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #294 of 360
Agree, To me Apple Music and Tidal is like buying music from a "fancy" high street shop. All hype and no substance. To me Qobuz is akin to walking into your local record store and browsing around without the hype. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #295 of 360
For Spotify, I used a trick "2 weeks outside of your home country" - it allows to listen to music while you are travel. In fact, you may just use VPN to your home country, connect to their library and then you re-new 2 weeks period again. It may work with Qobuz too but I did not test yet.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #298 of 360
Kind of my thoughts too.  Another streaming service?  I guess if you have a large data plan and don't have the storage space, it makes sense.  Me, I'd rather buy the CD, create my own lossy versions, that I can listen to without an internet connection.

As for lossless, I don't think it will happen for most streaming services.  Tidal seems to be the only one doing it.  But that's more bandwidth that has to be sent down the pipe.  I want to know when they're going to sell lossless tracks to us.  I would be perfectly happy with CD-quality ALAC or FLAC files being sold on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play instead of lossy AAC and MP3.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #299 of 360
  Kind of my thoughts too.  Another streaming service?  I guess if you have a large data plan and don't have the storage space, it makes sense.  Me, I'd rather buy the CD, create my own lossy versions, that I can listen to without an internet connection.

And if you want you can even stream your own lossy or lossless stuff with something like Ampache.

The actual advantages to streaming seem to be:
1) ease of use
2) catalog access
3) $$$

1 is certainly useful: no ripping, no tagging, no backups, etc. But these can easily be detriments depending upon the person, depending upon how much you want to be your own musical fortress of solitude.

2 is only a benefit if you aren't already behind on your listening schedule. I have 3 new sets of Beethoven symphonies alone that I need to go through and compare; why would I need access to even MORE of them? The benefits here really seem to depend on how you use music.

3 is again about how you use things. I spend more than $100/year on music easy, but I can also use that music in any way I want, on whatever device I want, in any odd corner of the earth where power can somehow be had.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #300 of 360
Where I live and my particular lifestyle always has me within range of access to the internet with the devices that I use to stream music.  After countless testing, I simply can't hear a difference between a higher quality lossy and even a hi resolution file.  Music subscription services are perfect for me and I don't really need anything else at this time.   I have a closet full of home servers and Squeezebox devices that are gathering dust now.  I still have the option available to me to download songs or playlists to my devices to take with me, but I have never done this in several years now.

I stream just about any music that is out there, and anything that is not available to stream, I can purchase the music on a CD, rip it, and upload it to be available like any other available streaming song.  I enjoy having the ability to play nearly anything that my heart desires, and if I stumble upon a gem during a listening session, I can instantly add it to my library to be enjoyed again.

Right now, Google Music is my streamer of choice, and I finally found a way to extract the artist and album list from my library so that I can use this data to build my library on anything new or better that comes around later.  I pay a grandfathered $7.99/month.  I still purchase 1-2 CDs each month, on average.  I rip them, upload them to Google, and put the CD away.  I don't even bother archiving to FLAC anymore.  The music from the CD is instantly available on my home player, my office setup, and on my phones, tablets, laptops, and basically any device with access to the internet with a browser.  The streaming solutions are just an incredible value.  Why anyone that claims to love music would make a sacrifice to not have at least one of these services is a mystery to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back