Apple Music HiFi
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #46 of 98
Man their music source for their J-pop section is utter crap. I found it the hard way by comparing with the chinese music streaming service, QQMusic. Mind you I was listening thru my IER-M9 and the high pitch screeching from AM's stream made me doubted my IEMs had gone haywire for a second there.

Apple better fix their crap if they wanted to compete with other streaming service seriously

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #47 of 98
Does someone know which Bitrates Apple is using in ALAC? I cant find nowhere a Information in the internet about this (For Example Tidal 1411 kbit/s and Amazon Music HD 850 kbit/s)

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 98
Does someone know which Bitrates Apple is using in ALAC? I cant find nowhere a Information in the internet about this (For Example Tidal 1411 kbit/s and Amazon Music HD 850 kbit/s)

Bitrate is not relevant for lossless compression audio quality. Every track will compress differently. For CD quality, it will be less than 1411 kbps (40-60% typical compression) in the stream but it is fully restored to 1411 when playing. Amazon is reporting typical flac compression and Tidal is reporting the uncompressed rate. They are both using flac so the actual bitrates in the stream are similar. ALAC is typically slightly less efficient than flac, so it's probably a slightly higher rate in the compressed stream.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. Both flac and ALAC fully decode back to the original source bitrate (1411 kbps for 16/44.1, 4608 for 24/96 and 9216 for 24/192).

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #49 of 98
Deleted, it wasn’t what you wanted to know

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #52 of 98
In this article by @nanotechnos we took a close look at Apple Music. We check out what it offers, how it sounds and how it compares to Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and Amazon.

https://www.headfonia.com/apple-music-review/
“Let’s talk about the elephant in the room: none of Apple’s actual headphones, or speakers, support Apple Lossless streaming.”

APM via wired connection support lossless, it is resampled by the DAC in the headphones but it is lossless to my understanding so I think this quoted section is incorrect in the article.

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #53 of 98
“Let’s talk about the elephant in the room: none of Apple’s actual headphones, or speakers, support Apple Lossless streaming.”

APM via wired connection support lossless, it is resampled by the DAC in the headphones but it is lossless to my understanding so I think this quoted section is incorrect in the article.
Hello,

from what I read, the AirPod Max Jack to Lightning cable uses the same chip, found in the classic Lightning to Headphone in found in the iPhone box.
There's been a few review of this chip (338S00140 A0SM1624 TW) and so far it works a bit worse than the previous iPhone 6S for comparison.

In fact, if the AirPod Max supports lossless, the cable act as a limitation and during my test, head to head, there is no noticeable difference between Bluetooth... and Jack.
Which make me think that the APM doesn't enjoy any benefit of the new Apple Music Lossless, at least for the moment.

Again, wait & see :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #54 of 98
This is what apple says about it:

AirPods Max Lossless via Apple 3.5mm to Lightning Cable

67B9528F-7C8F-45FB-B2A1-6D0F3168E89E.png

AirPods Max Lossless via Apple 3.5mm to Lightning Cable

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #55 of 98
Have used deezer for a while.
Deezer hifi-Chromecast- and optical to dac.

apple music don’t support chromecast.
So i am using cabel and camera adapter instead
Iphone Se- usb-cabel-adapter-dac.
But there are a lot of noises/pops!
Whats wrong?
image.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #56 of 98
Is it possible to run apple music from windows in hires mode and bit perfect ?
Pc- usb cable - dac

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 98
Hi, @nanotechnos is it possible to stream Apple Music on andro DAPS (M8, DX220 MAX in my case) in anything higher than 44.1? While I'm having zero problems on my iPad Pro and iPhone getting 32B/192 on my L&P W2. Thanks!

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 98
Have used deezer for a while.
Deezer hifi-Chromecast- and optical to dac.

apple music don’t support chromecast.
So i am using cabel and camera adapter instead
Iphone Se- usb-cabel-adapter-dac.
But there are a lot of noises/pops!
Whats wrong?

You could give Castbridge a try perhaps? You'll need a MacOS device (Desktop or Laptop) to install but it also gives you a free 10 minute trial to test out the app. Link to Castbridge ----> https://castbridge.io/

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #60 of 98
Qobuz is not available in my country tho I'm quite near France.

Tidal is just meat spin.

Deezer, have no idea never tested it, its better in 2022 then it was in 2018 ?

I might look at Amazon Prime Music for HiFi.

Apple Music seem to have legal issues with some songs in Europe, had one look at Slayer album, and 90% of the songs where 'not available due to copy rights'

Did read you cant spoof so easy VPN, IP, ect with Qobuz, unless you enjoy pissing into the wind.

I'm sticking with Apple Music for now, they will only get better over time, prob parabolic.

Lets hope "Microsoft HiFi Elevator Music on Excel Spreadsheets '95" does not enter the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back