Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 16, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #811 of 871
I use Apple Music lossless with my Mac and iPhone using the FiiO BTR5, with the USB-c cable for Mac, and with their LT-LT1 USB type-c to Lightning data cable with iPhone and my Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen. Sounds great to me.
Would I get any upgrade if I switch to using a DAP that supports Apple Music lossless? Like the FiiO M11 Plus?

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the BTR5 should drive your phones just fine, especially in balanced mode. I would not expect much sound quality difference from a DAP when compared with USB DAC mode from the BTR5. And yes, I have and use both a BTR5 and an M11 Plus ESS.

May 17, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #812 of 871
Absolutely befuddled. Why do some tracks play on other iOS devices -- iPhone, iPad, but NOT on an iPod? Restarted, logged out and back in, even updated to 15.5. Still wouldn't play some tracks that play perfectly on other devices. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks ahead.

May 17, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #813 of 871
Absolutely befuddled. Why do some tracks play on other iOS devices -- iPhone, iPad, but NOT on an iPod? Restarted, logged out and back in, even updated to 15.5. Still wouldn't play some tracks that play perfectly on other devices. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks ahead.

Do the tracks that don’t play on the iPod have a high sample rate ?

May 24, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #815 of 871
I am not an Apple Music subscriber. I have recently started ripping the cds in my collection I am not able to find on Qobuz. For convenience I have imported them as ALAC to iTunes. Will I be able to listen to these files lossless via the Music app on my iPhone or are they converted to AAC when they are transferred to the iPhone from iTunes? I have read somewhere that I need a subscription to be able to listen to lossless files in the Music app on the iPhone.

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #816 of 871
Any announcements at WWDC regarding possible exclusive mode for Mac OS?

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #817 of 871
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #818 of 871
nothing music related announced
One thing music related announced, at least as relates to the new M2 based MBA & MBP:

”3.5 mm headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones”

Pure Applespeak, like what does “advanced support” mean? Truth will be in the listening I suppose..

Anyway, it’s encouraging to see Apple not forgetting that wired headphones actually exist, and doing something (maybe?) to improve the experience on their laptops.

Jun 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #821 of 871
Apple Music 3.10 Android is out. No news of the Apple Music special classical branch yet.

dont notice any changes tbh

though it did say i now had a 'music alarm timer' but when i went into the android clock app Music wasnt an option for alarm clocks so no clue

Jun 12, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #822 of 871
Apple Music has a lot going for it but it’s deeply flawed on both platforms.

For example, try searching for soundtracks and original scores. Good luck. You’ll get what’s popular right now and very little else. And that’s just one small example of the feeble, broken nature of Apple’s music search on mobile devices.

Then there’s play-counts. If you’ve been an iTunes user for ages (like me) you’ve no doubt got a bunch of play-count dependent smart lists. Even if you don’t you may use Apple’s built in “recently played” feature. All of these lists require real-time play-count (and library content) updates across all platforms where a user has an Apple Music account active. But play-counts (and library contents) don’t update in real time. They MAYBE update once a day or so, if they do at all.

Another big issue is finding hi-res files. There’s no specific section for them so you’re left fishing around and or sorting though Apple’s pre-loaded lists, which are generally limited in scope.

These are a few of the more visible issues with Apple Music. The absolute crap-show that is Classical on Apple Music is another issue but at least Apple seems to be trying to address it.

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #823 of 871
Apple Music has a lot going for it but it’s deeply flawed on both platforms.

For example, try searching for soundtracks and original scores. Good luck. You’ll get what’s popular right now and very little else. And that’s just one small example of the feeble, broken nature of Apple’s music search on mobile devices.

Then there’s play-counts. If you’ve been an iTunes user for ages (like me) you’ve no doubt got a bunch of play-count dependent smart lists. Even if you don’t you may use Apple’s built in “recently played” feature. All of these lists require real-time play-count (and library content) updates across all platforms where a user has an Apple Music account active. But play-counts (and library contents) don’t update in real time. They MAYBE update once a day or so, if they do at all.

Another big issue is finding hi-res files. There’s no specific section for them so you’re left fishing around and or sorting though Apple’s pre-loaded lists, which are generally limited in scope.

These are a few of the more visible issues with Apple Music. The absolute crap-show that is Classical on Apple Music is another issue but at least Apple seems to be trying to address it.
Agree with this.

For me, the biggest frustration with Apple, is when using MacBook - it wont auto sample to the correct sampling rate. Have to use Audio Midi to change it..Not sure if it makes a whole lot of difference, but it's really frustrating!

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #824 of 871
So, been using on y iPad and decided to get a DAC. Got the Hiby FC3 from amazon but waiting for the cable to arrive from China. So I tried it out on my Galaxy A32 5g with the Apple Music app set to Hi-Rez and it only plays at PCM 32-48kHz. Anyone know a fix?

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #825 of 871
So, been using on y iPad and decided to get a DAC. Got the Hiby FC3 from amazon but waiting for the cable to arrive from China. So I tried it out on my Galaxy A32 5g with the Apple Music app set to Hi-Rez and it only plays at PCM 32-48kHz. Anyone know a fix?

This cable works well for me with the FC3.

https://a.co/d/gj2MJMb

You can probably get it to your doorstep faster than the one coming from China and it can’t hurt to have more than one.

I don’t know how to resolve the bit-rate with your Galaxy. Maybe someone has had similar issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back