Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #856 of 871
After using both Spacial Audio and Atmos, below are some of my thoughts and observations:

Spatial Audio - Works fantastic on the iPad/iPhone with the AirPods Pro. It does give the sense that main dialogue is coming from a speaker in front of you even when you turn your head. I think there are some surround effects but didn't notice it as much as the main soundtrack and dialogue coming from in front of you. I think Audeze has similar DSP software on some of their gaming headsets. I have not tried using Spatial Audio/AirPods Pro with the Apple TV but guessing it works the same as on the iPad.

Dolby Atmos -
  • With AirPods Pro - Definitely enhances the Soundstage and the Instrument/Vocal Separation - probably as much or more than the average audiophile IEM. In my experience though, IEM offerings from Campfire Audio and 64 Audio are still better with Soundstage and Separation (without Atmos DSP) while blowing the AirPods out of the water with their technical abilities (Details, Dynamics, Speed, etc). For the price though, the AirPod Pro's sound pretty decent and you can't beat the versatility - Bluetooth, decent for calls, noise cancelling works very well, sweat proof and great for exercise (which is my main use case for them).
  • With an Atmos Speaker setup - This is where the Atmos music really shines. I have a 5.4.1 setup (5 traditional Dolby speaker setup with 4 add'l ceiling atmospheric speakers, 1 sub) and Apple Music sounds terrific. If you have a home theater setup and a receiver that can decode Dolby Atmos, I highly recommend trying it out. It sounds very spacious and better than the usual DSP on receivers for 5.1 music or all channel stereo (Receiver makers usually call these DSP modes different things depending on Brand).
Only 2nd Generation AppleTV 4K (check me on that) will broadcast Dolby Atmos sound for Apple Music via HDMI.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #857 of 871
My receiver shows the audio stream info. It shows the bitrate/freq equally as Apple music shows (16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 and 24/192)
Thanks for the reply.

So here's where I'm at. I have a TV as the hub of my audio setup (Samsung TV, Amazon Fire TV 4k, Focusrite Scarlett audio interface or iFi xDSD Gryphon as the DAC), that I'd like to get bit perfect audio to stream to. I've been looking at devices like the Shield to replace the Fire TV since it doesn't send bit perfect audio over USB and the Apple Music app doesn't work in the Fire TV.

With that said, what settings are you using on the Shield for bit perfect playback? Have you tried using an external DAC with the Shield? If so, is the output bit perfect?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #858 of 871
Only 2nd Generation AppleTV 4K (check me on that) will broadcast Dolby Atmos sound for Apple Music via HDMI.
I am going to attempt Apple Music’s Spatial Audio via Apple TV connected to my OPPO-205 in PrePro role feeding a multi-channel Sony TA-P9000ES analog preamplifier. The OPPO will decode Dolby ATMOS but since the Sony zpresmp is just 5.1 the ATMOS channels will end up coming from front channels. At a later date I hope to get a modern PrePro and an additional stereo power amp to get the full ATMOS experience.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #859 of 871
I am going to attempt Apple Music’s Spatial Audio via Apple TV connected to my OPPO-205 in PrePro role feeding a multi-channel Sony TA-P9000ES analog preamplifier. The OPPO will decode Dolby ATMOS but since the Sony zpresmp is just 5.1 the ATMOS channels will end up coming from front channels. At a later date I hope to get a modern PrePro and an additional stereo power amp to get the full ATMOS experience.
That might work but I’m not sure how a downmixed Atmos track will sound on 5.1. I believe it a 7.1 feed with “Atmos spatial data” embedded in the stream. My guess it can sound pretty nice. I have not had a chance to setup my refurbished Apple TV which I purchased specifically for this job yet 😢. Too much work 🤦🏻‍♂️ I used to listen to some DTS audio DVDs which were sampled from old quadrophonic tapes. And some sounded fantastic. And that was from 35 years ago!

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #864 of 871
Any rumors of an update to Apple Music (MacOS) that would allow exclusive mode output via USB, lossless AirPlay, or an Apple Connect function? As many have commented, the platform has some appealing features, but connecting to high-end hardware is not one of them.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #865 of 871
My iMac is connected via usb to a Parasound P6 Preamplifier for enjoyment of high res Apple Music. The sound is more lifelike than any other means I have to recorded music except 5.1 SACD. My hope is to get an Apple TV and connect it to a Dolby ATMOS Receiver like one of the new Sony’s so I can enjoy more multichannel music than that is to my taste on 5.1 SACD.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #866 of 871
the platform has some appealing features, but connecting to high-end hardware is not one of them.
I wouldn't expect Apple to ever make this a priority, as they are really only interested in wireless connection to their own-brand earphones and headphones, which they sell an absolute load of. What incentive do they possibly have to co-exist with other vendor's stuff?

That said, USB-C out from a Mac, or AirPlay from an iOS device does work pretty well as it is today anyway.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #867 of 871
Recently I ABed some Apple Music tracks comparing my M1 MacBook Pro to my 2018 iPad Pro.
I found that my MacBook Pro added a noticeable midrange bump to the frequency range ( or perhaps it’s rolling off the ends?) but to my mind the bump makes sense when you hear the native MacBook Pro speakers. They sound a bit fuller than your typical laptop speakers.

The iPad present the music perfectly with no coloration.

It made me think, that if there’s no exclusive mode for Apple Music, it’s not really good for lossless listening of streamed tracks, because Qobuz and Tidal can lock the sound channel, and thus sound better to my ears.

I am going to recommend people use an iPad or iPhone if they want bit perfect and seamless playback of streamed Apple Music.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #868 of 871
As many have commented, the platform has some appealing features, but connecting to high-end hardware is not one of them.
Actually the opposite is true, MacOS is about the best platform for connecting to high-end (audio) hardware.
I wouldn't expect Apple to ever make this a priority, as they are really only interested in wireless connection to their own-brand earphones and headphones, which they sell an absolute load of. What incentive do they possibly have to co-exist with other vendor's stuff?
Apple has almost always “made this a priority”. The “incentive they have to co-exist with other vendor’s stuff” is that their range of computers designed for professional use, the Mac Pro and Mac Studio (and Macbook Pro), would not be used by professionals if they couldn’t co-exist with “other vendor’s stuff”, specifically ADCs/DACs and video cards, as a major part of their professional user base is audio and A/V professionals. In fact, MacOS is the platform of choice for many/most professional and commercial music studios, the majority of sound studios and for many professional video editors/shops, as it has certain advantages over Windows.
That said, USB-C out from a Mac, or AirPlay from an iOS device does work pretty well as it is today anyway.
USB/Thunderbolt (and in some cases PCIe in the case of the MacPro) in conjunction with MacOS’ Core-Audio is more reliable, flexible and feature rich than Windows.

G

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #869 of 871
Actually the opposite is true, MacOS is about the best platform for connecting to high-end (audio) hardware.

Apple has almost always “made this a priority”. The “incentive they have to co-exist with other vendor’s stuff” is that their range of computers designed for professional use, the Mac Pro and Mac Studio (and Macbook Pro), would not be used by professionals if they couldn’t co-exist with “other vendor’s stuff”, specifically ADCs/DACs and video cards, as a major part of their professional user base is audio and A/V professionals. In fact, MacOS is the platform of choice for many/most professional and commercial music studios, the majority of sound studios and for many professional video editors/shops, as it has certain advantages over Windows.

USB/Thunderbolt (and in some cases PCIe in the case of the MacPro) in conjunction with MacOS’ Core-Audio is more reliable, flexible and feature rich than Windows.

G
Macs are great for mastering/producing audio. And it's also great for just for rerouting audio using something like Audio Hijack, and things like AU plugins are neat.

But Apple Music as an app lacks features found in any hi-res music player for macOS.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #870 of 871
My iMac is connected via usb to a Parasound P6 Preamplifier for enjoyment of high res Apple Music. The sound is more lifelike than any other means I have to recorded music except 5.1 SACD. My hope is to get an Apple TV and connect it to a Dolby ATMOS Receiver like one of the new Sony’s so I can enjoy more multichannel music than that is to my taste on 5.1 SACD.
I can report that with the correct Apple TV, and it has to be the 4K edition (double check which one you buy) it will work and sound quite good. I can also report to my surprise that even with AirPods Pro, the Atmos surround sound through the Apple TV, sounds more lifelike and actually sounds like surround-sound when listening to Atmos, allowing me to listen to surround sound at home without waking up the whole family. All in all I find the purchase of an Apple TV was excellent value, and I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner! Am I annoyed that Apple is preventing third-party use of surround sound amplifiers without Apple TV? yes. But do I regret not buying an Apple TV sooner? Also yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back