Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #167 of 871
Thanks everyone. Mysteriously, about 2 hours or so later, it was back on. Technical glitch is my guess.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #168 of 871
Hello everyone. How can I get the most out of my Shanling UA2 with the Highres Audio? I was able to put up to 24/96Khz but albums that are available in 24/192Khz won’t go at that resolution through my usb dac. I’m new to DACs :frowning2: Thanks in advance and hope you can finally enjoy the Hifi service uwu

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #169 of 871
Hello everyone. How can I get the most out of my Shanling UA2 with the Highres Audio? I was able to put up to 24/96Khz but albums that are available in 24/192Khz won’t go at that resolution through my usb dac. I’m new to DACs :frowning2: Thanks in advance and hope you can finally enjoy the Hifi service uwu

What's your source device?

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #170 of 871
Spatial audio is basically what the Mobius does without the head tracking aspect, unless I'm mistaken. As I recall, it was kind of a gimmick on that headset, albeit one that has true utility in games and movies.

Not really. You can enforce «Spatial Audio» on non-supported tracks and that becomes simple Dolby Atmos virtualisation/mixing. But the tracks being labelled as Dolby Atmos are new releases of the songs coming from new masters where the studio has mastered them with Dolby Atmos in mind.

This also explains why you have to choose if you want your offline downloads to be in stereo or Dolby Atmos for tracks that have Dolby Atmos available. The source is not the same so you have to make a choice if you would have one or the other for your downloaded content.

If it was simply Apple using some Dolby algorithm to resample existing tracks into Dolby Atmos there wouldn’t be any need for this option to exist as all the files would be the same. Apple is clearly going to have all tracks in a wide variaty of versions on their servers:

AAC HE, 128kbps Stereo (High Efficiency, 16-bit, 44.1kHz)
AAC, 256kbps Stereo (High Quality, 16-bit, 44.1kHz)
ALAC, Stereo (Lossless, 24-bit/48kHz)
ALAC, kbps Stereo (Hi-Res Lossless, 24-bit/96-192kHz depending on the track)

AAC HE, 128kbps Dolby Atmos (High Efficiency, 16-bit, 44.1kHz)
AAC, 256kbps Dolby Atmos (High Quality, 16-bit, 44.1kHz)
ALAC, Dolby Atmos (Lossless, 24-bit/48kHz)
ALAC, Dolby Atmos (Hi-Res Lossless, 24-bit/96-192kHz depending on the track)

At some point all tracks will exsist in a total of eight different versions on the Apple Music servers. Obviously they don‘t as this point in time as just a very limited amount of tracks are available in Hi-Res Lossless. Even fewer are available in Dolby Atmos. Most, if not all should be available in AAC-HE stereo, AAC stereo and ALAC stereo (Lossless).

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #171 of 871
Not really. You can enforce «Spatial Audio» on non-supported tracks and that becomes simple Dolby Atmos virtualisation/mixing. But the tracks being labelled as Dolby Atmos are new releases of the songs coming from new masters where the studio has mastered them with Dolby Atmos in mind.

This also explains why you have to choose if you want your offline downloads to be in stereo or Dolby Atmos for tracks that have Dolby Atmos available. The source is not the same so you have to make a choice if you would have one or the other for your downloaded content.

If it was simply Apple using some Dolby algorithm to resample existing tracks into Dolby Atmos there wouldn’t be any need for this option to exist as all the files would be the same. Apple is clearly going to have all tracks in a wide variaty of versions on their servers:

At some point all tracks will exsist in a total of eight different versions on the Apple Music servers. Obviously they don‘t as this point in time as just a very limited amount of tracks are available in Hi-Res Lossless. Even fewer are available in Dolby Atmos. Most, if not all should be available in AAC-HE stereo, AAC stereo and ALAC stereo (Lossless).

I highly doubt that dolby atmos will be in lossless/hi-res as they have to support spatial audio in airpods

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #172 of 871
What do you guys think of Spatial Audio / Dolby Atmos?

I think it’s a nice addition to the service but unfortunately only works with Apples AirPods, as far as I know. I like the effect in some songs and it definitely sounds „spatial“. But I think it comes at a price as it takes some energy from certain frequencies. That’s at least my short term opinion.

Some songs sound much worse with Spatial Audio. Try Blink 182 - What’s my age again? -> This song sounds really off and weird with Spatial Audio and much better with the real track.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #174 of 871

I was just trying some tracks out this morning. The sample rate for Dolby Atmos tracks I have tried (so far) have been 44.1 kHz on my external DAC no matter what the high resolution settings are. If I turn off Dolby Atmos, I can then get high resolution up to 192 kHz. Perhaps these are mutually exclusive. This is on my iPhone.

On another subject, on my MacBook Pro, Apple Music does not use Coreaudio exclusive mode and does not adjust sample rate to the music track that is being played. You have to go into Audio MIDI Setup and manually adjust sample rate even when you are using an external USB DAC. I guess I'll leave it at 192 kHz for now but this is a pretty big miss...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #176 of 871
An Ipad Pro 2nd Gen and, well, like everyone in this thread, Apple Music Hifi (Temporary name i guess?) Do you have any idea why is this happening? I've asked Shangling directly but they say they haven't tried the UA2 with the Hifi service yet.

I just tested on my iPad Air 2 and Fiio BTR5 and was able to play 192 kHz tracks with the BTR5 indicating 192 kHz on it's display. Maybe a problem with your DAC? Are you sure you were playing a 192 kHz track? I have only found a few so far.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #177 of 871
I just tested on my iPad Air 2 and Fiio BTR5 and was able to play 192 kHz tracks with the BTR5 indicating 192 kHz on it's display. Maybe a problem with your DAC? Are you sure you were playing a 192 kHz track? I have only found a few so far.
How have you got that connected? Via Lightning to USB-C?

I haven't managed to get Dolby Atmos working on my Mac using a DAC, via USB or Bluetooth. It does work using the built-in headphone out though. Any reason why? Same BTR5 Bluetooth DAC works with my phone just fine.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #179 of 871
How have you got that connected? Via Lightning to USB-C?

I haven't managed to get Dolby Atmos working on my Mac using a DAC, via USB or Bluetooth. It does work using the built-in headphone out though. Any reason why? Same BTR5 Bluetooth DAC works with my phone just fine.

Yes, I'm using the Fiio LT-LT1 cable (lightning to USB-C). I'm sure it would work with the CCK as well. I just turn charging off on the BTR5 so it doesn't draw power from my iPhone. Let me test a bit on my MacBook. You may have to set the sample rate to 44.1 for Atmos to work (using Audio MIDI Setup).

Edit:

You are correct. I can't get Dolby Atmos on my USB connected BTR5 either (on my MacBook). It works with AirPods Pro just fine. I thought it was working earlier today but maybe I got confused (or Apple is having technical issues)...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #180 of 871
Yeah, pretty sure about that. I was playing one of Jonh William's live concerts available in 24/192Khz and for some reason the output i get is just 96Khz. Weird because i tried the Shanling UA2 yesterday in my PC with Foobar and Wasapi playing the Soundtrack of The Phantom Menace also in 24/192Khz and was doing just fine, even the LED changed to yellow (which indicates it's playing in that resolution) . Which i guess is a problem of either my Ipad or Apple Music. Idk :frowning2: I would really want to be able to play 192Khz songs on the go without having to use my PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back