Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #151 of 871
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #152 of 871
I’m in 14.7 beta and it doesn’t have Apple Music update either. It’s something on the server side they need to activate. Going to assume it will go live next week. Hope lossless is at least bit perfect with AirPlay 2.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they released it with iOS 15 as a beta feature. Gives them enough time to test it and hype it up over summer and the release of stable coincides with the annual release of new hardware in September that could include lossless support.

It makes a little more sense than releasing this as almost a non-feature of iOS 14.whatever where most of their customers won’t be able to use it and they won’t be able to monetize it in any way.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #153 of 871
Wouldn’t surprise me if they released it with iOS 15 as a beta feature. Gives them enough time to test it and hype it up over summer and the release of stable coincides with the annual release of new hardware in September that could include lossless support.

It makes a little more sense than releasing this as almost a non-feature of iOS 14.whatever where most of their customers won’t be able to use it and they won’t be able to monetize it in any way.
They said they’re releasing in June, so it’s not dependent on the iOS. Believe even iOS 14.6 is ready once they flip the switch. Plus they have an announcement today about the spatial audio. I’m perfectly happy with normal stereo output and great headphones. Plenty of soundstage but I’m will in to see what spatial audio can do and supposed to work for any headphones. I guess find out more later today.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #154 of 871

That would more than surprise me (in a negative way…). No, Apple announced June and they will deliver, for sure.

I also think they will launch lossless/spatial today or in this very week. Let’s see.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #155 of 871
Spatial audio is basically what the Mobius does without the head tracking aspect, unless I'm mistaken. As I recall, it was kind of a gimmick on that headset, albeit one that has true utility in games and movies.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #157 of 871
Anyone able to experience Apple Music Lossless or Spatial Audio? I am not getting that option in my iPod. Also they say its a server side update, how is that possible? It is not possible to change settings UI (to include lossless option) without ios update right?

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #158 of 871
Hello, it's been maybe an hour since i was able to use the Lossless option. I noticed this was possible in my Ipad Pro (2nd gen) while i was looking the Music App settings in the Setting Apps. There you'll see this new section called Audio where you'll see 1. Dolby Atmos; 2. Audio Quality; 3. EQ; 4. Volume adjustment. This last two already existed but now they all belong to this new section, and in Audio Quality you can enabñe Lossless Audio. After that you'll be able to choose the quality of the content, be that AAC, ALAC 24/48 or ALC 24/192.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #159 of 871
Hi all, just got this set up with my 2018 iPad Pro and ifi iDSD Diablo, and decided to give it a whirl before I went to bed.

So far so good. I wish they had a playlist or something that showcased hi-res files - I've just been going through some albums seeing if I can find anything to test out. Most titles with the hi-res label I've found so far are 48/24 or 96/24, the only 192/24 I found where Aretha Franklin's "Lady Soul" and "I've Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You". Both triggered the amber light on the Diablo. Hopefully as it rolls out to more users, people will post up good test tracks they find.

I'm sure "better" listeners than I will be able to determine how good this sounds compared to Qobuz / Tidal et al, but so far, though the Diablo and my DCA Aeon Noire's I'm digging what I'm hearing. I haven't tried spatial audio, as I can't find my AirPods Pro, but I saw that Apple put up a couple of playlists for people who want to test that feature out.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #160 of 871
Hello, it's been maybe an hour since i was able to use the Lossless option. I noticed this was possible in my Ipad Pro (2nd gen) while i was looking the Music App settings in the Setting Apps. There you'll see this new section called Audio where you'll see 1. Dolby Atmos; 2. Audio Quality; 3. EQ; 4. Volume adjustment. This last two already existed but now they all belong to this new section, and in Audio Quality you can enabñe Lossless Audio. After that you'll be able to choose the quality of the content, be that AAC, ALAC 24/48 or ALC 24/192.

Did you do software update by any chance? or those options appeared all of a sudden without updating your software?

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #161 of 871
interesting thing is that I had it for a few hours on my iPhone and iPad Pro and then it seems to have disappeared again... Not sure if anyone else is facing that issue.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #162 of 871
Here in Madrid, Spain, it seems to be working fine. As advertised some fles are in AAC, some in Lossless and few in Hires. I have tried for example Schumann symphonies Rattle in 24/96. The files says “alta resolución sin perdida” must be Hiress Lossless in English. When you touch on the Hires notice, it says Alac 24/96. My Dragonfly Black confirms and turns to the appropriate color indicating 24/96. I can’t wait to see the whole catalog in Lossless!

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #163 of 871
It's working in Hong Kong. I have already deleted my old albums and started to download them again in hi-res, where available. I also own a relatively large hi-res (mainly 24/96) FLAC library of mainly classical music - about 500 albums. I have only cross-checked a few against Apple Music, but for those I have checked, only about half appear available at the same resolution. I expect this depends on the various deals Apple has made with the record labels, but don't really know.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #164 of 871
I'm trying the Music app, but I don't 100% sure if it is lossless or not. Also, is the Mac output bit-perfect? It seems my DAC always shows 96 kHz. Unless I manually change that in Audio MIDI Setup.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #165 of 871
Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 5.36.40 PM.png

It's working for me from my end. I updated my M1 MacBook Air to the latest update and I guess the app auto-updated by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back