Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #586 of 871
I only had 5 Albums in Atmos. So have downloaded them again with Atmos Downloads set to off.

I don’t have to re-download all other Albums again which are not Atmos?

Play them back (wifi off) and see what they say on the screen.

I did some experimenting with Beatles, Let it Be (2021 Mix) which is available in normal AAC, Lossless, High-resolution and Atmos. If I turn off Atmos downloads, it downloads whichever version is selected in the Music settings under downloads. Turn off wifi and it works exactly as expected (duh), only the downloaded version plays, AAC, Lossless or High-resolution and of course, Atmos is not available.

Leaving everything the same and turning on Atmos downloads, you get only the Atmos track. If you set Atmos playing to off, you get a track that is neither lossless or high-resolution, probably AAC without the Atmos effects.

This is all what I expected to see.

I'm guessing if an Atmos track is not available, it will download either AAC, lossless or high-resolution {based on your Music download settings), but I need to find a high-resolution track that doesn't have an Atmos version to verify.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #587 of 871
Play them back (wifi off) and see what they say on the screen.

I did some experimenting with Beatles, Let it Be (2021 Mix) which is available in normal AAC, Lossless, High-resolution and Atmos. If I turn off Atmos downloads, it downloads whichever version is selected in the Music settings under downloads. Turn off wifi and it works exactly as expected (duh), only the downloaded version plays, AAC, Lossless or High-resolution and of course, Atmos is not available.

Leaving everything the same and turning on Atmos downloads, you get only the Atmos track. If you set Atmos playing to off, you get a track that is neither lossless or high-resolution, probably AAC without the Atmos effects.

This is all what I expected to see.

I'm guessing if an Atmos track is not available, it will download either AAC, lossless or high-resolution {based on your Music download settings), but I need to find a high-resolution track that doesn't have an Atmos version to verify.
Yes my experience is the same as you stated which is not ideal. However I suppose only 1 format can be downloaded otherwise larger downloads unnecessarily.

only the 5 Albums in Atmos we’re probably low res AAC. Every thing else for me was downloaded in CD Lossless with average 621mb size per Album = 41GB for 66Albums.

if i had Airpod MAX then I would probably leave ATMOS DOWNLOADING to on.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #590 of 871
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #592 of 871
18mbps compared to Apple TV+ and Disney+ which can stream 30-50mbps.
Netflix Dolby Vision in UK = 15.25mbps.

also iTunes DOLBYVISION ATMOS Movies can be downloaded at 5-10GB per Movie easily.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #593 of 871
18mbps compared to Apple TV+ and Disney+ which can stream 30-50mbps.
Netflix Dolby Vision in UK = 15.25mbps.

also iTunes DOLBYVISION ATMOS Movies can be downloaded at 5-10GB per Movie easily.

Yes but tiny compared to video downloads so about time this is made available as an option atleast.

Yeah, I would like the option as well. Maybe not for everything as I would run out of space soon. But space gets cheaper with time...

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #597 of 871
Apple's bluetooth is 256 kbps AAC, a lossy, compressed format. It's quality is actually pretty good but certainly not lossless. For comparison, uncompressed CD audio is 1411 kbps and compressed (but not lossy) flac is around 600-800 kbps. You aren't deaf, I personally find 256 kbps AAC difficult to distinguish from lossless. I suspect that's true for many others as well, but I'm willing to admit it... :sunglasses:
Ok, so I have fixed the OTG issue and have been able to listen to both Lossless (OTG) and Lossy (BT) on my iPod-HM1000 Quad rig. And yes, now I can hear some difference on selected tracks -- mostly definition/clarity of details, (can I say) better dynamic range, (sounds) louder, more punch or improved PRaT. It's not always there, I understand Lossless doesn't mean Hires, which probably explains the level of discernibility and differences. On some tracks, I didn't hear any differences, or I should say -- improvements. Anyway, this is just to address a point I made previously that I couldn't tell the difference, and I can safely say that rumors of my deafness is greatly exaggerated. :wink:

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #598 of 871
Apple Music works with Bluestack. It is not bit perfect. Furthermore I read in another forum that audio has limitations in Bluestack (16/44 O believe) but I have not been able to confirm it or test it.
Hello. It is not Bitperfect currently on Mac OS. Although this might change in the next OS in October. Not sure about it.

My understanding is iOS - iPhone/iPad via Camera Kit delivers Bit Perfect.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #599 of 871
Hello. It is not Bitperfect currently on Mac OS. Although this might change in the next OS in October. Not sure about it.

My understanding is iOS - iPhone/iPad via Camera Kit delivers Bit Perfect.
Ipad camera kit and Dragonfly (black in my case) is bit perfect. My dragonfly changes colour depending on the type of file: 44, 48, 96 and mqa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back