Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #573 of 871
If we select DOWNLOAD IN DOLBY ATMOS on iPad does this prevent playback in high resolution. All my Albums are downloaded with this setting enabled. My external DAC only shows 44.1 as USB input. Nothing higher.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #574 of 871
If we select DOWNLOAD IN DOLBY ATMOS on iPad does this prevent playback in high resolution. All my Albums are downloaded with this setting enabled. My external DAC only shows 44.1 as USB input. Nothing higher.
My understanding is that the Atmos and lossless tracks are seperate from each other. The Atmos tracks are still AAC and the lossless are ALAC. There are no lossless Atmos tracks.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #575 of 871
Correction I found a high res Beatles Album which only shows/plays in 96 if Dolby Atmos is turned off when playing as a download file. This is bad. That means will have to download all Dolby Atmos Albums again because they will otherwise not play in high res.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #576 of 871
My understanding is that the Atmos and lossless tracks are seperate from each other. The Atmos tracks are still AAC and the lossless are ALAC. There are no lossless Atmos tracks.
The popular Taylor Swift Album “folklore” is shown as Atmos.
Now it is also showing Lossless.

so we should get lossless if downloaded and it does show as 44.1 on my external dac this way. It also shows as 44.1 in Atmos download.

i think above 44.1 which is labelled high res you have to turn Atmos download off otherwise you get 44.1 cd quality

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #577 of 871
The popular Taylor Swift Album “folklore” is shown as Atmos.
Now it is also showing Lossless.

so we should get lossless if downloaded and it does show as 44.1 on my external dac this way. It also shows as 44.1 in Atmos download.

i think above 44.1 which is labelled high res you have to turn Atmos download off otherwise you get 44.1 cd quality

I believe the Atmos version tracks are lossy AAC. They may show 44.1 on your DAC (as would any AAC file), but they are neither lossless or high resolution if downloaded as Atmos.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #580 of 871
Sorry i mean Lossless Label and Atmos label for same Album?

For a downloaded album? Apple Music has multiple versions on their end, normal AAC, Atmos AAC (if available), ALAC lossless/high resolution (if available). When streaming, you get the version that matches your settings. Likewise when downloading, so if you download in Atmos, that is the version you get.

It's always possible Apple is making changes, but this is what I understand is happening.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #582 of 871
I might just delete all Albums and start downloading again with Atmos Download off. My concern is that even lossless only Albums might have been downloaded in AAC. Will take me 2 days.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #585 of 871
A big difference between low res and cd quality. Above cd quality difficult to tell. I am using £2200 worth headphones and dac/amp. Easily hear a difference.

not sure if I could hear a difference on HIFI speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back