Apple magsafe connectors for iOS to ruin audio?
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Well... it seems and is very likely that Apple will replace the 30pin connectors right now with a magnetic magsafe like cable that supports data. the audio is unknown, but details on it sound grim :frowning2: do you guys think it will still offer us the sound LOD's offer? Will it still bypass amplifier? What are your thoughts on it?

I think that if worst comes to worst and Apple tries to .......pull a fast one on audio(i don' think they will) I hope...i hope .. Fostex and our community will come to the rescue. Apple is a behind the scenese supporter of audio with advanced things in their mainstream devices that consumers don't know about from their superior audio chips and amps on their computers to their ipods and iphones. i don't think they will phase out the ability of what the LOD can do right now with audio..but this is a just in case. Do you think Fostex will interfere? I'm pretty sure Head-Fi has a good relationship with Fostex reps and their brand...think they might help? Would it be possible to incite enough disagreement on the net form us audiophiles and just regular audio people about this topic if Apple does choose to phase audio option out?

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 6
We're such an insignificantly small market for them that any dissent here will hardly matter. What percentage of Apple customers do you think regularly use LODs to bypass the amp? Even I think it's pointless in most cases.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
We're such an insignificantly small market for them that any dissent here will hardly matter. What percentage of Apple customers do you think regularly use LODs to bypass the amp? Even I think it's pointless in most cases.

I know we are insignificant. I'd say there are only 100K that would care..but ...maybe...fostex......ahhh >_<

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Of course it will offer us sound. Who cares about Fostex when major auto manufactures use the line out doc as well as plenty of consumer based docs and radios. If anything, I expect to see an improvement over the outdated design of the 30 pin connector. I believe it will be a step in the right direction similar to HDMI. Unfortunately, will have to get all new cables an adapters. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Where is this info about the change in connector from? I can see why they'd do it -- A connector that is less prone to damage reduces warranty claims, something that Apple tries to avoid (via good design) as much as possible.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 6

http://www.cultofmac.com/142962/apple-could-eliminate-the-30-pin-dock-connector-with-magsafe-data-cables/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/01/ios-magsafe-dock-patent/

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/26/apple_exploring_magsafe_data_headphone_connections_for_iphone_ipad_.html

info on audio capabilities is still unknown.
Quote:
Where is this info about the change in connector from? I can see why they'd do it -- A connector that is less prone to damage reduces warranty claims, something that Apple tries to avoid (via good design) as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back