bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
I didn't see an appreciation thread for this so i decided to make one. I just recently purchased an apple iPhone 4 and i am extremely satisfied. I noticed ios devices are popular on head-fi so i decided to make a thread for all ios devices. Share your love for the products, discuss new releases, Discuss new apps, and discuss your experiences with ios products. Remember get along and try to stay on topic.

Any apple criticism like mac vs pc debates are allowed as i enjoy reading and adding to them.

Have fun.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 42
I've been very happy with my Touch 4G. Cost of contracts and data plans keep me away from an iPhone, so I got the Touch instead....great purchase.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 42
Just got the iPhone 4s, my first Apple item.  My wife has the iPad2 and iPhone 4 so I was the holdout.  Battery life is killer on the iPhone, 3 days if I don't use it much.  I don't see me buying much iTunes music as I don't use it as my music player on my computer rig.  Excellent phone call quality, DAC and camera are the reasons why I switched from Droid2.  One thing I don't like is how I need an app to make ringtones.  With my previous phones any music file could be used directly as a ring and alert tone.  

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 42

Quote:
Just got the iPhone 4s, my first Apple item.  My wife has the iPad2 and iPhone 4 so I was the holdout.  Battery life is killer on the iPhone, 3 days if I don't use it much.  I don't see me buying much iTunes music as I don't use it as my music player on my computer rig.  Excellent phone call quality, DAC and camera are the reasons why I switched from Droid2.  One thing I don't like is how I need an app to make ringtones.  With my previous phones any music file could be used directly as a ring and alert tone.  

Battery life in the 4S seems to be very poor according to the tech news reports. You are one lucky man.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 42

Quote:

If you go into itunes on your computer and open a song up you want to be a ringtone click on get info and select a beginning and an ending of the song. (generally 15 seconds) then click save. Once that is done right click on it and go to create aac version. Once that is done rename it from an m4a file to an m4r. If your using windows go to add song to library and reload the new ringtone into itunes. if your on a mac it will do it automatically. Once this is done it should be in your ringtone media selection area in itunes. just drag and drop your new ringtone onto your iphone. go to settings and select ringtone. once there select your new ring tone. Now you have one of your own songs as a ringtone for free.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 42
I figured i should post my review for my iPhone 4 here.

Pros: Fast, build quality, design, sound quality, user interface, camera,
Cons: ibuds, crappy phone speakers, smudge marks, some people complain about dropped calls, large monthly fee
Hello head-fi

I recently decided i would get my first smart phone and that it would be an iphone. Now i don't want to write a wall of words but i will do it anyways.

Design/Durability
When buying a smart phone which you take everywhere durability is very important. Plastic is generally the most commonly used material that tends to get the job done but looks cheap. Compared to competing smart phones the iPhone 4 has a glass front and glass back with a metal piece going around the phone. It looks amazingly expensive and feels premium. But the glass worries me. If i were to drop this from a decent hight the glass could crack or shatter. I recommend a heavy duty case. To some this is a deal breaker to others a compromise. But in my opinion it still feels more solid then the samsung i tried at the phone shop. 4/5

Battery Life/User Interface
Battery life is quite good. I can get 20 hours out of it before the battery dies. This is with a bit of usage of a mixture of everything. Phone calls, texting, music, gaming, internet browsing. I can do it all in a day and plug it in at the end and still have 25% left. The user interface is amazingly easy to use. Apple has done something amazing by making a user interface even a 5 year old could master in a few minutes. If there is a major selling point for this phone it's how simple it is to use. Battery 4/5. UI 5/5

Audio Quality
Everyone hates on the ipods and iphones for their supposed bad sound quality. I will say right now i don't hear their criticism. The sound is just as good as the fiio e7 if not better. The sound is very smooth and very dynamic. No harshness in the treble and the bass is well represented. I will have to deduct 1 point because the built in eq is really bad. But i just buy the equ app and it allows me to customize my eq. Very responsive and the sound quality is excellent for a portable. 4/5

Overall/Value
Overall there is thousands of apps, has good sound quality, looks great, durable, and fast. I would give it a 3/5 for value though because if you don't get a contract it will cost you about $750.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 42
Funny thing is I rarely use the iPhone 4 or iPad as a source.

But both are indispensable.

I had no intention of buying the iPhone. I had a RAZR which I loved. I still have it, actually. I like its form factor better than the iPhone and it is a lot more comfortable to talk on. But I used the iPhone for about 15 minutes at an Apple Store and gave them $600. Impulse buy, but it was so much more usfulmthan the RAZR. I'm on my third iPhone and it is still the most useful gadget I have. It's serviceable for short phone calls, but I use it constantly. I love the apps, too. Especially the HP 12C emulator - having a 12C with me always is incredible. I also like Weatherbug immensely.

Another funny thing is that after using the original iPhone for a few months, I started wanting a bigger version. Like some kind of tablet.

And Apple was nice enough to make one. :)

Though I had serious buyer's remorse over the iPad for a few days. I had an iPhone and MacBook; where would it fit in? It turned out to mostly replace the MacBook.

So I think the MacBook is on the way out. I think I'll sell it and roll the cash into a new Mac Mini. When traveling, the iPad and iPhone replace a laptop easily. At home, the Mini will be fine as a desktop and I'll set it up as a media server, too, wih the iPad as possibly the best remote control ever. (I also have the AppleTV.)

I love iOS. The functionality is amazing. Sure, there are some limits, but it covers about 90% of what I need and OS X picks up the rest.

I really look forward to next year's iPhone. Siri will be useful to me and I'm hoping that Apple will integrate Siri across the rest of their devices. I think they will. *Gets out crystal ball* I think Siri is Apple's Google-killer. Siri is still in beta, but is growning and becoming more and more intelligent as she processes more and more requests. People are going to get used to asking Siri for things, which is faster and more convenient than typing in a search query. Siri will take a big bite out of searches. I'm sure Google will develop something similar, but it probably won't have the tight integration Siri has.

What I really want is Siri integrated across all products as well as some home integration hardware. I'd love to use voice commands (Star Trek style) to control the lights, HVAC, appliances, and electronics. If Apple doesn't do it, then a third party add-on will. Probably soon. I imagine Siri will be integrated into apps shortly. I'm thinking we'll get all this in a year or two.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 42
Yes i'm a Apple fanboy.  Love my Iphone and iPad.  Use both of them has remotes for Apple TV.  Stream music to my iPhone and PX100 at bedtime.  I've never thought the iPods had bad sound.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 42
I'm a big fan of Apple but nowhere near a fanboy. Loving my iPod Nano 5G (Red product) and my MBP. Apple products are amazing but are premium priced (it's probably because we're paying for the design + customer service). 

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 42
I have a Shuffle, a Nano and now an iPod Touch. Very happy with apple although I won't ever leave Android for my phone or Windows on a computer.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 42
Back in 2009 i bought myself an iPhone 3GS 32Gbs. I'm still have it. I can't recall any purchase that has given me more hours of fun and pleasure (aural) than the iPhone.

For music the iPhone is the leader of the pack. Worlds away from the competition.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 42
I read those reports too.  One thing I did notice was that if I loaded up iBooks with about 20-30 free books my battery life dropped significantly, I was getting less than 24 hours life with very little usage.  I removed the app and I got back my good battery life.  I don't know if that was the cause of poor battery life but it was the one thing I did before charging my phone for the night and the next day I was in battery hell.

Quote:
Battery life in the 4S seems to be very poor according to the tech news reports. You are one lucky man.

Thanks for the tip, I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to read about all of the tricks.  Lots to learn about this phone.  I haven't chatted with Siri yet.  That feature was not a selling point for me.  I usually don't like voice commands because when I'm in public do I want to be speaking my text messages for everyone to hear?  Well, that another whole issue all together.  That being when you call customer service and there is no way to navigate the menu without speaking a command.  What happened to the good old number pad punch-in method.  In any case, I need to explore this phone a bit more this weekend.   

Quote:
If you go into itunes on your computer and open a song up you want to be a ringtone click on get info and select a beginning and an ending of the song. (generally 15 seconds) then click save. Once that is done right click on it and go to create aac version. Once that is done rename it from an m4a file to an m4r. If your using windows go to add song to library and reload the new ringtone into itunes. if your on a mac it will do it automatically. Once this is done it should be in your ringtone media selection area in itunes. just drag and drop your new ringtone onto your iphone. go to settings and select ringtone. once there select your new ring tone. Now you have one of your own songs as a ringtone for free.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 42
I guess you can say I'm a fanboy since I waited in line to get 4s on launch day at 5am for 8 hours. Funny, I've never owned a cellphone in my life prior to ip4. Also got myself an ipad 2 64gb shortly after. I was gonna wait for 3 but meh. What the hell. I will get both. :) Love the look of ip4 of its glossy and glassy exterior and quite frankly I think it's the best looking smartphone in the world. My co-worker owns a galaxy s2 and ip4 is inferior specs wise but I'd prefer ip4 to it as I'm a huge sucker for eye candy. Now just waiting on untethered ios 5 jb.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 42
Apple person here. Ever since I got my iPod photo many years back, I've just about stayed with them. I'm using an iPhone 4 now, and equalizer makes it just about everything I need. Only bad part is the really bad volume steps, and no expandable memory, but still excellent.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 42
Definitely a big Apple fan. Own a Mac, have an iPhone 4S (no battery issues here), Apple TV 2 etc.

I'm resigned to paying big £ for my portable set up (Touch > CLAS > amp) for the simple reason that the front end Apple offer is just worth the investing in. An ultra thin PMP, well built, slick, no silly bugs, easy to use, awesome screen and... smart playlists via the Genius function. I can't express how useful that thing is!

I might be well and truly 'locked in' to the Apple eco-system, but when something works so well, who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back