Apple iPad is Offical
Apr 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #376 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can print to pdf and convert to epub

Third party or is it part of the iPad OS?

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #378 of 392
That sounds like a hassle compared to how it's done in OS X. The iPad is a great device overall, but I don't like the memory and port limitations.

I would probably want to duct tape a 240gb 1.8" hard drive to the back of it so I could travel with at least a decent portion of my lossless library, plus a movie or two!

I think I want something that dosn't exist yet, like a MacBook Air with a swivel screen, or a MaxiPad
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #380 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you dock it to a computer running iTunes with your lossless files, sure. But otherwise, you would have to buy/use an adapter, or e-mail the songs to yourself. I would like to just plug in a jump drive or SD card, then I could get by with the 16GB version. Another $100 just to get another 16gb of built-in memory is kind of insulting IMHO. Self-contained 32gb DataTravelers run $70 shipped!

I didn't know about the Hulu app. So it will run "Hulu Flash", but not "Safari Flash"?

Another big thing for me would be the ability to save PDF files from Safari pages for off-line reading of long articles. It's not totally clear to me yet, but the iPad doesn't seem to offer that without 3rd party apps; I want something like the print-to-PDF and open in Preview that works so well in OS X, that would totally meet my "e-reader" needs.

Well maybe not totally. It might be worth it just to have the MARVEL COMICS app; it looks pretty cool...

Apple serves up 10 billionth iTune, smiles all the way to the bank

Oh wow, that Marvel app looks pretty damn great.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #383 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fusion Garage JooJoo review -- Engadget

HP Slate to cost $549, have 1.6GHz Atom Z530, 5 hour battery? -- Engadget

This is the iPad competiton, unfortunately.

There's also the Dell Streak, Microsoft Courier, and a slew of upcoming devices running OMAP/Tegra2/Snapdragon SOCs and some form of Android or Chrome OSes.

I'd still expect the iPad to dominate the form factor though due to their chummy relationship with major content providers.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #385 of 392
Microsoft isn't really Apple's strongest competitor in this space though. The real threat is all those ARM SOC / Android competitors that will come in around the ~ $200-300 mark. Those have the potential to do to the iPad what netbooks did to the Air.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #386 of 392
The Slate would seem to address many of the iPad's flaws; it has a USB port and an SD card slot built in, and you can bet it will print via wifi to HP's printers at least. Also TWO cameras, but not due out until July.

I must say that I don't mind the Apple Universe at all when it comes to iPods, but the content restrictions of the iPad really irk me, just like the AT&T restrictions of the iPhone.

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #387 of 392
1.6Ghz on Windows 7 is not something to shout about.

That is the same as my Netbook and that is slow compare to my iPad, and my Netbook has 2G of Ram where the HP Slate only has 1G.

The HP slate seem to be just a netbook in tablet form.  Nothing else.  Even the battery last around the same time, this is where the iPad wins, I can get basically an hour's use with each 10% of juice from it.  The thing just keep on going and going.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #388 of 392
I have decided that a jailbroken iPad is the way to go, we'll see how it goes.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #389 of 392
Exactly! Jailbreak a 3G iPad, and my god, it really becomes a beast. I'm on the freeway from San Diego to Los Angeles, and the ipad has served me brilliantly, even when surfing the net. When I reach home and get time later, I will post screenshots of the 5 pages of apps I have, which makes this device simply brilliant. The only complaint I have is the 256 mb of RAM. I wish they had put 512 mb of ram. The next iteration, most likely.

May 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #390 of 392
Can anyone kindly direct me to s quality iPad forum site.
I found iPadsforums.net, so far.

I'm sooo excited. Boyz and their toyz..

Let the learning begin. Just when you thought you were out, they found another way to recklessly drop my Benjamins.

TIA, fellows and fellettes. And to think I could have found another wat to waste my money. So much waste, so little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back