Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #946 of 979
This problem has been resolved for me after iOS 17 and APP2 version 6A301. The case does not drain anymore.

This is very strange because I comparing directly 2 pairs in March, like I explaining in my first post 3 days ago, my original pair from September 2022 and a new pair I buying in March 2023. My original pair is in like new condition because I only using maximum of 2.5 hours a week. I comparing for 5 days and taking screenshots of both pairs 2 times a day without using both pairs at all. I sending this proof to Apple in that time (6.5 months ago) but the technicians doing very poor job and don't testing correctly. I think, like I saying before, Apple making this very difficult for avoiding replacing thousands of charging cases.

The new charging case replacement that I receiving one month ago (30 August) have very, very better battery life than my original case and probably the same very better battery life like the second case I testing 6 months ago. Except that this time I taking screenshots for 25 days instead of only 5 days, without using this new case at all, in all that period.

EDIT: Correcting last paragraph.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #947 of 979
This is very strange because I comparing directly 2 pairs in March, like I explaining in my first post 3 days ago, my original pair from September 2022 and a new pair I buying in March 2023. My original pair is in like new condition because I only using maximum of 2.5 hours a week. I comparing for 5 days and taking screenshots of both pairs 2 times a day without using both pairs at all. I sending this proof to Apple in that time (6.5 months ago) but the technicians doing very poor job and don't testing correctly. I think, like I saying before, Apple making this very difficult for avoiding replacing thousands of charging cases.

The new charging case replacement that I receiving one month ago (30 August) have very, very better battery life than my original case and probably the same very better battery life like the second case I testing 6 months ago. Except that this time I comparing for 25 days instead of only 5 days and taking screenshots 2 times a day of each pair without using both pairs at all in all that period.
It was draining before but it behaves normally after software and version updates. That is just my experience though, I don't know if it is relevant to others. I am sure though they fixed it with software.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #949 of 979
So I’m looking to buy APP2s this weekend. I know there’s 2 models now and heard from some Youtubers that they sound different. Any truth here? Or is this due to firmware?
The USBC variant has a 5ghz wireless chip which can transmit lossless audio to the Vision Pro headset, it’s safe to assume that future iPhones will also support lossless audio via Bluetooth once they get the H2 Chip.

The lightning case version is less powerful and only has a 2.4ghz chip. It will not support lossless audio transmission on the vision pro (or any future iPhones)

Buy the USB-C version for future proofing.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #950 of 979
The USBC variant has a 5ghz wireless chip which can transmit lossless audio to the Vision Pro headset, it’s safe to assume that future iPhones will also support lossless audio via Bluetooth once they get the H2 Chip.

The lightning case version is less powerful and only has a 2.4ghz chip. It will not support lossless audio transmission on the vision pro (or any future iPhones)

Buy the USB-C version for future proofing.
It is not just about the H2 chip missing on iPhone. Vision Pro can get lossless mainly due to proximity to the AirPods (practically stuck to each other on someone's face). Also in Vision Pro zero latency is very important due to the 3D nature of the experience. Both above conditions are not valid in iPhone use cases. So I don't think it is that safe to assume that there is any necessity or tech capabilities for iPhones to get lossless audio.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/apple-explored-gps-for-airpods-pro-adaptive-audio/

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #951 of 979
Hello , please what air tips best for airpods pro 2?
I cant use them with original apple air tips. All air tips coming out of my ears. They don't hold on in my ears. Its strange , because all in ears headphones i use normal , all is good. But apple has got small tips, and they coming out of my ears. I thinking to change Airpods PRO 2 for original airpods..

Maybe new different tips will be better? thanks

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #952 of 979
I cant use them with original apple air tips. All air tips coming out of my ears. They don't hold on in my ears. Its strange , because all in ears headphones i use normal , all is good. But apple has got small tips, and they coming out of my ears. I thinking to change Airpods PRO 2 for original airpods..

The Apple ap2 medium ones worked for me. For better bass, the Comply medium fits well enough for jogging. Almost as comfortable as Apple’s with better passive isolation.

Be warned that the Comply will last about a year max if you sweat.

image.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #953 of 979

I was using SpinFit tips on mine but I went back to the stock ones. I also have SednaEarFit tips for the AirPods Pro 2 and they’re fine too.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #954 of 979

Have moved from apple tips to sonic foam tips from Amazon this week. Not sure if there’s any anc benefit but sound feels fuller and not constantly readjusting the buds in the gym

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #955 of 979
My problem is that the ear pads come out of my ear after half an hour or an hour. The inside of the ear begins to sweat a little and the silicone near the ear pads begins to come out. I tried different attachments. Large ones are difficult to stuff into the ear, which is also not correct. And medium and small sizes come out of the ear after half an hour or an hour. and constantly have to adjust and push them back. Conventional in-ear headphones do not have this problem, because the ear pads themselves have a longer shape and therefore do not come out. But on an apple they are short and therefore easily come out of the ear

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #956 of 979
My problem is that the ear pads come out of my ear after half an hour or an hour. The inside of the ear begins to sweat a little and the silicone near the ear pads begins to come out. I tried different attachments. Large ones are difficult to stuff into the ear, which is also not correct. And medium and small sizes come out of the ear after half an hour or an hour. and constantly have to adjust and push them back. Conventional in-ear headphones do not have this problem, because the ear pads themselves have a longer shape and therefore do not come out. But on an apple they are short and therefore easily come out of the ear
Foam tips might really be the solution here, the once from Comply work fine.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #958 of 979
Came to this forum via the threads on Sony TWS's. Sony is buying back my WF1000-XM4's after they developed the battery issue. This made me consider getting XM5's more than I would have. But instead, while getting set up with a new iPhone, I demo'd and purchased the AirPods Pro 2. I was expecting more of a compromise, sacrificing sound for convenience, and so far that's not the case.

- Sound: I was initially drawn to the Sony's with the promise of stellar sound + really good ANC. I did enjoy the sound on mine, and actually preferred their initial "darker" tune that got changed with a firmware update (and apparently I'm in the minority on this). After my recent purchase I compared the APP2's with my XM4's before mailing them back to Sony and I think I actually prefer the APP2 sound, or at least find it different without being noticeably inferior. It's more...alive? More wide-ranging? (I'm not sure of the correct terminology.) There seems to be more air between components. The bass is heavier, maybe too much at times, and I'll be looking into an EQ app. But it's much better than I was expecting. I had seen a YouTube video from ... someone (can't find it now) with recordings of the sounds coming from these two and a third brand, and from that, I preferred the Sony XM5 sound -- more detailed and richer, flatter but in an objective way. The APP2 sounded more "boosted" in a way that seemed calculated to appeal to the masses listening to popular music. (Nothing wrong with that but not my thing.) But in practice, my XM4's just sounded kind of flat in comparison. I didn't think the reported incremental improvement to the XM5's sound would make that much difference to me in daily use, especially given Apple's convenience.
- It turns out I like to use transparency mode just as much as noise cancelling, and the one on the AirPods seems better to me. Although, at first, the APP2 transparency sounds unnaturally amplified, almost harsh in the upper end. I get used to it after a few minutes. Not sure if there's something I can do to change it. In contrast, the XM4 had an obvious "live mic" hissing noise, small but noticeable.
- Time will tell if ANC is comparable. I recently got Dekoni foam tips to recreate the passive noise cancelling of the XM4's but haven't had time to really test them. So far the stock tips are not terrible but I haven't been on a plane, on a busy street, etc. The APP2's don't seem to cancel out as much upper end noises as the XM4's -- I can hear things like fabric swishing, silverware clinking, etc. Not a deal-breaker and I wonder if I need to mess with any settings, besides trying tips.
- On tips: The consensus in this thread seems to be that aside from fit issues, there is little to no reason to change the stock tips, as they work well. I didn't feel initially like I was getting a good seal, but using these with NC turned off shows that they have more passive isolation than I would have expected. I get a "good" seal test with medium or large tips. Apple's fit test seems less picky than Sony's, or maybe it is that the tip size is not as crucial with the APP2's as it was with the XM4's.
- Since I got the XM4's in 2021, I use buds for calls and meetings much more than I thought I would, and the Apple ecosystem factor is real. I'm amazed at the fast and easy switching between computer and phone. Also, I discovered that Conversation Awareness turns the sound down just for actual in-proximity conversations and not for Zoom or phone calls, which is fabulous. After one fumbling start to a meeting where I introduced myself and then couldn't hear what was going on, I turned off the equivalent feature on the XM4's and forgot about it.
- I think the oval shape on the APP2 fits my ears better. Heard a lot of complaints about "Apple and their proprietary BS" when this came out, but it makes a lot of sense in practice. I got used to a whole long process for getting the XM4's seated and sealed in my ears, with continuous adjustment on top, but it seems like I can basically slap the AirPods in and call it good.
- Controls: I'm still not used to the swipe gesture for volume control, but it's getting better, and there is no way the XM5's multitude of taps to change volume would possibly work for me. That was honestly one of the the final straws that tipped me to the APP2's direction. A small thing, but I like to change volume often.
- Customization: I followed another video advice and am messing with settings -- have not gone so far as to input an audiogram, but may try that next. So far, I'm finding the proprietary, automatic bells-and-whistles like Adaptive NC mode and Personalized Volume to be useful or at least OK, not annoying yet. Another straw in Apple's favor: apparently with the XM5's, one needs to create a Sony account and log in to get the best ANC performance. No thanks.
- Having Find My is like extra insurance. I often use buds when doing yardwork and it seemed only a matter of time before I lost one of the XM4's. Not a fan of the APP2's color but that nice bright white will also help with finding them. I've turned Find My off now in the winter with indoor use to save battery life but will use it in lots of future situations. With it on, the case chirps sometimes when I pick it up or move it and I have yet to figure out why, but it's not annoying.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice here!

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #959 of 979
I think they sound pretty good with a little bass reduction and SpinFit CP360 tips.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #960 of 979
I haven't really been keeping up with issues (if any, but I know refreshes and especially first-gen products of anything Apple always has problems) but have there been any major issues with the second-gen Airpod Pros? And is there news of a complete redesign on the horizon in late '24 or is that more likely '25-'26?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back