Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #616 of 979
I don't think there is any reason to use AirPods on android. There are many really good wireless ANC headphones by Sony, Sennheiser, B&O etc. On android you don't have same AAC bluetooth sound quality as on iPhone, but you have AptX etc which AirPods do not support. So AirPods sound will be kind of inferior on android. Also no spatial audio, possible ANC problems due to OS incompatibility etc.
I would disagree. I have xm4 and xm3 from Sony and one from Bose if we are talking about ANC TWS. For me APP2 beat them as an overall package. The only thing I don't like is that the ANC seems to pass through hign frequencies, so I think that I may need some third party tips to combat that. As about codecs for casual listening to me it doesn't matter too much, as it's playing in a backgroud and I mainly listen to podcasts on the go anyway.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #617 of 979
I would disagree. I have xm4 and xm3 from Sony and one from Bose if we are talking about ANC TWS. For me APP2 beat them as an overall package. The only thing I don't like is that the ANC seems to pass through hign frequencies, so I think that I may need some third party tips to combat that. As about codecs for casual listening to me it doesn't matter too much, as it's playing in a backgroud and I mainly listen to podcasts on the go anyway.
Ok thanks. Well 51dB is pretty low. I wish the FR was that way for 91dB instead.

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #618 of 979
For sure the APP2 beat all those buds, including the Sony ones, not only as an overall package but for just sound quality as well. The problem is that this package is not there in full for you on android. So, if you compare the 30% of APP2 package that you may get on android with the 100% of a Sony package, Sony may win in your case. Whatever tips you may buy you cannot have the absolute ANC because the H2 chip by Apple is not working in your case. No spatial audio, no adjustable personalised FR, just SBC bluetooth and so on. If you love them that much, on which I agree with you, maybe you could consider buying an iPhone to use them with and get this way the iOS experience as well.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #619 of 979
I have the Comply tips for APP and don’t feel they make a difference in that regard.
I reckon it’s the ANC which doesn’t cancel the high frequencies properly but actually passes them through.
Edit: I actually noticed that I only have the Comply M tips and they don't quite seal enough, I will try again with the L tips.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #621 of 979
New firmware update today for the APP2 (and the case) - it's version 5B58 now (case is at 51.11.1).

Bug fixes and other improvements apparently - as vague as ever.

Just updated - let's see.

Attachments

• Airpods Pro 2 (second firmware update).png
    Airpods Pro 2 (second firmware update).png
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #622 of 979
So I got my Comply L tips yesterday.
The seal works now so I recommend that you order these a size larger than the stock tips.
As for the higher tones getting through, I don’t think it makes much of a difference, if at all.
However I think they are more comfortable to wear, less „sweaty“ if you wear the APP for longer periods.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #623 of 979
I know for some people this is difficult believing, usually because of bias and misinformation of the differences in price and/or the form factor (IEMs vs headphones), but I owning the new 700€ Bowers & Wilkins PX8 headphone (not earphone) for 3 weeks and after extensive comparisons, the APP 2 is having better sound very clearly, so I returning the px8 yesterday.

I owning too the 1000€ Mark Levinson 5909 headphone (not earphone) for 9 months, my favourite BT ANC headphone, and even when I always preferring the 5909 in my comparisons, the APP 2 isn't so far in sound quality.

Yes, the 300€ APP 2 is really excellent earphone, and not just for ANC, transparency, spatial audio (for Apple devices), or convenience. The APP 2 really is have excellent sound quality too. The APP 2 is one of the best purchases for me in many years.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #624 of 979
Yes, the 300€ APP 2 is really excellent earphone, and not just for ANC, transparency, spatial audio (for Apple devices), or convenience. The APP 2 really is have excellent sound quality too. The APP 2 is one of the best purchases for me in many years.
Yes, I also really enjoy the APP2 every time I use them. But sometimes it is also very satisfying to use my Etymotic EVOs for more resolution and clearer sound. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with what the APP2 has to offer for the money.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #625 of 979
I know for some people this is difficult believing, usually because of bias and misinformation of the differences in price and/or the form factor (IEMs vs headphones), but I owning the new 700€ Bowers & Wilkins PX8 headphone (not earphone) for 3 weeks and after extensive comparisons, the APP 2 is having better sound very clearly, so I returning the px8 yesterday.

I owning too the 1000€ Mark Levinson 5909 headphone (not earphone) for 9 months, my favourite BT ANC headphone, and even when I always preferring the 5909 in my comparisons, the APP 2 isn't so far really in sound quality.

there is not a great deal of difference between these and my moondrop variations either. yes the variations are better but it’s negligible when you’re out and about. the app2 aren’t the best sounding thing ever - my focal clear wipes the floor with them - but i am struggling to see the value of iems when the app2 and buds2pro exist

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #626 of 979
I know for some people this is difficult believing, usually because of bias and misinformation of the differences in price and/or the form factor (IEMs vs headphones),
What you mean to way is in your opinion. Assuming others prefer the 5909/px8/bathys or other over ears because of bias and misinformation is a huge assumption on your part.

I happen to be in the latter camp by a long way, the over ears are noticably more detailed to my ears, and Ive sat and compared side by side too. Tws has inherent limitations which I'm yet to see a model overcome in the way a wired iem can. Switching to Xelento from app2 im struck by a pretty astounding improvement in sound.

APP 2 are a great tws though, and a really nice update in sound from the first gen.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #627 of 979
What you mean to way is in your opinion. Assuming others prefer the 5909/px8/bathys or other over ears because of bias and misinformation is a huge assumption.

I happen to be in the latter camp by a long way, the over ears are noticably more detailed to my ears, and Ive sat and compared side by side too. Tws has inherent limitations which I'm yet to see a model overcome in the way a wired iem can.

APP 2 are a great tws though, and a really nice update in sound from the first gen.

I'm not comparing the APP 2 to wired headphones or wired IEMs, but I know very well that the APP 2 is very better than many wired headphones AND earphones.

You're HUGE fan of px8 and of b&w (and the wired b&w P9 that is for me a very terrible headphone), and many, many posts showing that. I owning several very good / excellent wired headphones and earphones, and I'm sorry but my ears, in quiet environment, telling me ALWAYS that the APP 2 is better than px8, and is coming close in sound quality to 5909, but truth is the 5909's resolution is in different level. Still, the APP 2 is simply very excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #628 of 979
I'm not comparing the APP 2 to wired headphones or wired IEMs, but I know very well that the APP 2 is very better than many wired headphones AND earphones.

You're HUGE fan of px8 and of b&w (and the wired b&w P9 that is for me a very terrible headphone), and many, many posts showing that. I owning several very good / excellent wired headphones and earphones, and I'm sorry but my ears, in quiet environment, telling me ALWAYS that the APP 2 is better than px8, and is coming close in sound quality to 5909, but truth is the 5909's resolution is in different level. Still, the APP 2 is simply very excellent.
Nothing to do with PX8, P9, or any headphone. I simply mean the statement

'I know for some people this is difficult believing, usually because of bias and misinformation of the differences in price'

You're implying people who don't hold your opinion here are biased, victims of misinformation or clouded by their judgement of price. This is pretty presumptuous and makes it sound like an objective position. You may not have intended this I don't know, just giving you a headsup on how that reads.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #629 of 979

'I know for some people this is difficult believing, usually because of bias and misinformation of the differences in price'

You're implying people who don't hold your opinion here are biased, victims of misinformation or clouded by their judgement of price. This is pretty presumptuous and makes it sound like an objective position. You may not have intended this I don't know, just giving you a headsup on how that reads.

I know very well what I writing and I know very well what I am saying.

I know that I see a lot of BS, tremendous bias, AND specially A LOT of misinformation, usually many people just repeating the incorrect information that many others members (often members with many posts, but not necessarily good experience, are giving incorrectly). This is my experience not only as member of Head-fi for 7,5 years, but maybe 6-8 years of reading this forum before I creating my account in 2015.

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #630 of 979

removed: not fair to anyone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back