Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 19, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #586 of 979
It was a combination of using my Apple Watch as source and switching between ANC and Transparency, something I do a lot while riding a bike depending on trail/protected bike lane/high traffic for safety. When the issue happened, it was tricky to resynchronize them. Simplest way would be to put them back in the case and take them out again, but I don't take the case on rides. I would have to change sources: Podcast app to Music app to phone function, toggling between ANC on and off, or disconnecting and reconnecting BT until they worked again.

Ah OK, so a different issue. For the APP2 it is a specific problem whereby the audio shifts left or right - or at least the FR changes, asymmetrically so, when switching from ANC off to on, and continues to change a bit for a few seconds.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #587 of 979
I’d use them for a week and see if the charging behavior changes. Sometimes lithium batteries need to run a couple cycles before they settle down. But if it‘s still doing it after a week contact AppleCare.
I decided to look into this. And noticed in the small print that to get 6 hours of music playback and with ANC on apple tested this with a iPhone 14 and volume at 50%.

I have a iPhone X and was using volume levels about 70% ish so decided to set the music at 50% and tried playing music for 1 hour.

I did some calculations and if you take 100% and divide that into 6 for the hours that’s 16.4% per hour. Take that away from 100% leaves about 83% roughly.

I got just that with 50% volume. So this seems right its just I am using higher volume and using about 22% a hour.

I got a iPhone 14 but still busy setting it up but looks like you might not get better battery with the new iPhone 14 as it’s using a new Bluetooth standard but I am getting the right battery level at 50% volume it would be interesting to see if it does save some battery.

I have owned the in ear Sony xm4 and STWM 2 and 3. And I have to say the ANC on these are just off the map way better never thought these would reduce it that much without them been cans. I would say the music quality is between the Sony and STWM. But they are I. No means rubbish at music far from it. There very impressive. I hated the 1gen pros and tried them for 2 min and thought they where rubbish. Not the gen 2.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #589 of 979
Anyone having an issue with the APP2 cutting out and only playing (iPhone) out of only one earbud (left one) …I am on the latest IOS
Happened once yesterday to me too. I re-booted the iPhone (latest iOS) and it was OK then.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #590 of 979
Anyone having an issue with the APP2 cutting out and only playing (iPhone) out of only one earbud (left one) …I am on the latest IOS
I've had it once on my 12 Pro Max (16.1 beta 5), not yet on the 14 Pro Max (16.1), but - only had that for one day.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #591 of 979
I decided to look into this. And noticed in the small print that to get 6 hours of music playback and with ANC on apple tested this with a iPhone 14 and volume at 50%.

I have a iPhone X and was using volume levels about 70% ish so decided to set the music at 50% and tried playing music for 1 hour.

I did some calculations and if you take 100% and divide that into 6 for the hours that’s 16.4% per hour. Take that away from 100% leaves about 83% roughly.

I got just that with 50% volume. So this seems right its just I am using higher volume and using about 22% a hour.

I got a iPhone 14 but still busy setting it up but looks like you might not get better battery with the new iPhone 14 as it’s using a new Bluetooth standard but I am getting the right battery level at 50% volume it would be interesting to see if it does save some battery.

I have owned the in ear Sony xm4 and STWM 2 and 3. And I have to say the ANC on these are just off the map way better never thought these would reduce it that much without them been cans. I would say the music quality is between the Sony and STWM. But they are I. No means rubbish at music far from it. There very impressive. I hated the 1gen pros and tried them for 2 min and thought they where rubbish. Not the gen 2.
This is where the sony XM4s shine, been listening 2-3 hrs without ANC but some Ambient..........
IMG_0024.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #592 of 979
This is where the sony XM4s shine, been listening 2-3 hrs without ANC but some Ambient..........
Yes they do have better battery but I travel 1h and 30 min a day so still have plenty. Even on a train travel which was 3h 1/2 hours they still had plenty left. So I am not to bothered as there doing there
Job. But Wanted to make sure the battery was doing its right levels.

I had the Sonys and did not
Like the fact you need to keep buying the tips as they don’t last more than 7 weeks for me. Also the AirPods Pro 2 fell like my older wired westone w4r light and can not feel them in my ears and to be honest fit better than the Sonys and the stwm2 and 3s.

There’s no wind problems with theee to as the stwm2 and especially the 3s are really bad at it and you have the turn that option on as well. The Sonys where better at wind control but the apple pro 2 just have it nailed.

Apple have also did a good job on sound quality on the pro 2 as I thought the first versions where rubbish and in fact the rest where rubbish as well. I would place them between the Sony and stwm2 and 3. The ANC on the pro2 are the best I have herd but been told the Bose do a slight better job. I was totally amazed how much they block out so much surround noise for there size.

The phone call quality is better than what I have used on the Sony and stwm2 and 3s not perfect but there up there. And do a fantastic job and suppressing the noise around u when on a call

And switching device just works if you have apple gear.

Dont get me wrong Sonys and sennheiser Are good but apple has upped their game With the pro2s.

I use them for travel Mainly so not in the house to much so it might be different for otters but I dismissed apple until these came out.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #593 of 979
I had the Sonys and did not
Like the fact you need to keep buying the tips as they don’t last more than 7 weeks for me. Also the AirPods Pro 2 fell like my older wired westone w4r light and can not feel them in my ears and to be honest fit better than the Sonys and the stwm2 and 3s
The stock tips are not very comfortable, so I tried these sonicfoam foam tips and you get 20tips for £13 and if you send feedback to sonicfoam you get a free packet... Anyway the sonicfoam tips are more comfortable and sounds better than the stock tips, plus they push in the ears easier and stays put... But foam only lasts me about a month... I did try different silicon tips before the foam, mainly because silicon lasts far much longer, but they all kept falling out of my ears...
So thats the reason for why I have lots of tips.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #594 of 979
Pretty clean sound from the APP2, almost audio-technica like in profile. I don’t think they sound like the APM (which to me are the best you can get currently with wireless) but they sound more refined than the APP1 to my ears.

Managing expectations, they are in no way more refined than a well set up pair of mid range IEMs (e.g IE600). Instead what you get is seamless wireless with iPhones/iPads, enjoyable sound especially with Apple Music, natural sounding stereo/spatial modes (I leave spatial audio on all the time) and a set of comfy low profile buds (for my ears ymmv) that you can wear to sleep.

My only key gripes are the still lightning connector instead of usb-c, and the weird chemical smell that comes from the ear tips out of the box (had same issue with APP1 but which went away with use, hoping it’s the same for the 2s).

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #595 of 979
It so surprising that all these YouTube reviewers don’t have the insight to critique this design catastrophe.

Remove a headphone jack and they cry, but something like this they are too scared or just not really using them daily.
Catastrophe? You must be severely handicapped because almost everybody is fine with the way these Airpods work. Even though you might need some time to discover how to use your fingers. You have to find out for example that you don’t need force to change the volume. Only very gentle movements will do the trick.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #598 of 979
Received my pair of APP 2 today and am pleased so far. Fit is great, they are comfortable, case is compact, they obviously work well with my other Apple products and ANC seems very good too so far. Transparency mode probably is still the best around in TWS (but I'm spoiled from the Max). Controls are easy and reliable, although the new volume touch/slide thing is not as convenient as I feel it could be.

They sound good on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Better than Gen 1 for sure. It's a very easy to like tuning to my ears. Not many flaws that I hear. Having listened to the Beyerdynamic Free Byrd intensively for the last couple of months, the APP definitely have less bass and feel a bit less exciting in direct comparison but they're still very good. And these are just first impressions of course. So far, I'd give them a 7.5 / 10 in the sound department. That's just for music in good old stereo on Apple Music, though. Spatial audio is amazing for movies or even Podcasts.

A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have recommended Airpods to anyone asking me for great sounding In-Ears or TWS. They have always been nice buds but more so for their convenience and software wizardry instead of being great sounding. Apple has come a long way with these. They are almost a no brainer for Apple users right now. There are better sounding buds out there still but the gap has narrowed significantly and as a whole package the Airpods Pro 2 seem fantastic.

Battery life, while ok to good, could still be improvement imo, and that Lightning port needs to die out immediately. Other than that, pretty impressed.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #599 of 979
AirPods Pro 2 really sounds great. I test my stereo and binaural recordings on it and they sound very three dimensional and have excellent resolution. In my opinion, they enliven the sound a little when compared with the reference source - this is not bad :)
I especially like the revealed three-dimensional sound!

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #600 of 979
AirPods Pro 2 really sounds great. I test my stereo and binaural recordings on it and they sound very three dimensional and have excellent resolution. In my opinion, they enliven the sound a little when compared with the reference source - this is not bad :)
I especially like the revealed three-dimensional sound!

Any recommendations for audiophile binaural recordings? I'm aware of Chesky, but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back