Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #496 of 979
Maybe my post you quoting isn't clear. I'm NOT fan of spatial audio for music, either, and I think the majority of the time, for music, normal stereo is sounding definitely better. BUT for podcasts I really love spatial audio a lot more than normal stereo, and same is true for films.

Right. When it comes to music Spatial Audio just muddies things up. It wants to give you an experience that’s similar to good IEMS that have natural imaging and instrument separation. But it’s artificial so it doesn’t sound natural or right. On the flip side, it does a reasonable job of replicating a 5.1 surround system so it’s great for movies and TV.

Apple has to hit a lot of targets with these, so it makes sense that they’re not the best for audiophiles.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #497 of 979
First time comparison between my new APP2 and PI7 were done on an iphone - and with the ANC turned on.

Now I have tried to compare them using my Fiio M6 for my PI7 and iphone for my APP2. Unfortunately I still can't get my PI7 to work with aptx-HD. Not sure if it is my M6 or my PI7 that are the problem. Using the case for my PI7 it will connect as LL.

I do consider myself reasonably "sophisticated" when evaluating headsets, but I am not an "expert" and especially for IEMs I don't have that many references (full sized I have spent a fair amount of time listening to quite a few headsets and I will typically drop by shops to test when new headsets drop).

Typically I will have a clear view on the difference between headsets (obviously subjective even if it always feels "objective" in your own head). Between the PI7 and APP2 I don't when the ANC is turned off for the PI7 and I use my Fiio M6 vs. iphone and ANC on for the APP2. For all other configurations using the PI7 on the iphone or with the ANC on I would say the APP2 is better (trying to stay away from the slightly hyperbolic language I used in my first post in this thread).

The main difference between them for me is that the PI7 is slightly "fuller" when listening to let's say Tool. But I am surprised that it isn't by much. Maybe the difference would have been clearer if I could have used aptx-HD. For classical music I can hear more detail on the APP2 - even if for more "heavy" parts like when listening to the likes of Beethoven I might prefer the tonal sound on the PI7.

And since the ANC in my opinion completely distorts the sound on the PI7 the overall winner in terms of actual practical use is for me clearly the APP2. But when others in here claim the PI7 is actually a better IEM I can't say they are wrong. With aptx-HD and the ANC turned off that could very well be true (probably is).

Interesting also how things are quite relative. I see people coming from the APP1 considers the APP2 to be bass heavy and a bit dark (not necessarily on this forum, but I have seen comments along those lines several places elsewhere). For me coming off the PI7 I would argue the opposite. They are a bit light and thin if anything. Not sure what would be "objectively" true.

Looking forward to hear what others who got the PI7 think.

By the way. Used my APP2 at a cafe this morning. ANC is very very good. Very impressed how such small and light IEMs can significantly reduce overall noise level. Can't wait to test them out on some flights within a couple of week. And in the office. Might finally have found a "headset" that works reasonably well for about everything.
I have the PI7s and in my opinion, I was never able to get them to work with my A&K 1000 in aptx as well. And the thing that really bothers me about them they never had an update.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #498 of 979
Am I the only one who thought that APP1 sounded better with ANC or transparency mode ON but with APP2, I think they sound better with both OFF? Cleaner, more transparent and a bit more midrange?

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #499 of 979
Am I the only one who thought that APP1 sounded better with ANC or transparency mode ON but with APP2, I think they sound better with both OFF? Cleaner, more transparent and a bit more midrange?
APP1 sounds okay with ANC on and not so great with ANC off. APP 2 sounds good with ANC on and great with ANC off and spatial on fixed (at least to my ears). APP2 needs slight EQ to sound best - it’s upper mid range has a bit of grain and needs to be EQed down just a bit. I also had to ever so slightly bump upper bass to add a touch warmth to the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #500 of 979
Here's something very nice I see today in reference with the volume control. Is actually more easy turning up or down the volume with the index finger moving up and down almost completely in the side of the stem than moving up and down exactly in the middle of the flat area. This is not exactly in the side of the stem but in the outside edge of the flat area and this is making reachability of this part of the stem more easy and is more quickly responsive too AND isn't necessary pressing hard for this action being effective. Excellent job by Apple.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #501 of 979
Here's something very nice I see today in reference with the volume control. Is actually more easy turning up or down the volume with the index finger moving up and down almost completely in the side of the stem than moving up and down exactly in the middle of the flat area. This is not exactly in the side of the stem but in the outside edge of the flat area and this is making reachability of this part of the stem more easy and is more quickly responsive too AND isn't necessary pressing hard for this action being effective. Excellent job by Apple.
I guess I still have to get used to exactly how to reach the sensitive area for this gesture.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #502 of 979
I guess I still have to get used to exactly how to reach the sensitive area for this gesture.

Now that yesterday I discovering the best way for controlling the volume in APP 2, I must saying that now this earphone is the best in this aspect and not the MW08 like I saying before. Only the h95 (900 euros full size ANC headphone) in this aspect is my favourite from all earphones or full size headphones with its fantastic volume wheel. I'm saying this again: I'm a person that is changing volume very, very constantly, so good AND very quickly volume control is a very big plus for me, so important that I can paying more money for good implementation if is necessary.

I'm sure when you testing more the correct position of your index finger, you will thinking "Wow, now I see how really excellent is this design"

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #503 of 979
Now that yesterday I discovering the best way for controlling the volume in APP 2, I must saying that now this earphone is the best in this aspect and not the MW08 like I saying before. Only the h95 (900 euros full size ANC headphone) in this aspect is my favourite from all earphones or full size headphones with its fantastic volume wheel. I'm saying this again: I'm a person that is changing volume very, very constantly, so good AND very quickly volume control is a very big plus for me, so important that I can paying more money for good implementation if is necessary.

I'm sure when you testing more the correct position of your index finger, you will thinking "Wow, now I see how really excellent is this design"

I’ve never had a problem with the volume control, but I can see how others would. Your tip is correct. You can use the edge of the touch sensitive area. I can feel the edge of the flat area with my fingertip and if I swipe that instead of trying to swipe along the center it works very reliably and is easier to operate.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #504 of 979
Listening to my APP2 right now, just picked them up this morning. I don't have much time with them but initial impressions are positive. I agree with others that the sub-bass is appreciably stronger than 1st gen. I will have to adjust to the new gesture controls but I imagine that after a couple days it will seem intuitive and simple. The tips that came preinstalled fit my ears well, but nice to see options included for other sizes.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #505 of 979
I passed the fit test with S,M, And L stock tips. Didn’t try XS but I feel like I probably could’ve passed with those too. Not too impressed with that test.

Nevertheless, the stock tips don’t give me that secure seal feeling. Bought the CharJen memory foam tips from Amazon and have been using those the last 2 days. Fit feels secure and sound seems a bit better, though difficult to do a quick A/B. They have just a little memory foam but still have a silicone cover so at first glance they look like the OEM tips.

Here’s the link in case people are curious.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D8NY25S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Just got them today and agree that they are an improvement over the stock ones.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #507 of 979
Better fit is good. What about sound quality vs. stock?
Can't say that I noticed any difference but keeping them properly fitted in ears does prevent degradation from poor fit that was happening when my right tip tended to get looser.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #509 of 979
Right. When it comes to music Spatial Audio just muddies things up. It wants to give you an experience that’s similar to good IEMS that have natural imaging and instrument separation. But it’s artificial so it doesn’t sound natural or right. On the flip side, it does a reasonable job of replicating a 5.1 surround system so it’s great for movies and TV.

Apple has to hit a lot of targets with these, so it makes sense that they’re not the best for audiophiles.
I only use it when listening to Audible Books which works really well. However for Movies and Music it is not for me. Seems to deliver a more compressed output with lower resolution to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back