Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #526 of 979
I wouldn’t worry about those comments. the person you responded to likes beyer iem. If you know anything about beyer, it’s that they are extremely colored. Some love the “beyer sound” some hate it, I personally hate it so there is that frame of reference. APP2 sounds fantastic to me (I already articulated its shortcomings in an easier post) with my personal HRTF enabled (without head tracking) and using Apple Music. HRTF changed timbre, upper midrange and soundstage for me for the better. Also running app2 off of MBP 2021 sounded better to me than iPhone and turn off ANC for less sound artifact.

For me isn't a worry the comments, I seeing the intention of the post clearly. If he preferring the Xelento or other wired alternative, this is 100% OK for me, is his preference. And I know too the common signature of Beyer headphones. The peaks in the treble of Xelento, for example, are problematic for me, and similar peaks are usually giving impression of better resolution, etc.

For me the real problem is the different generalisations that maybe making others people, with less experience (many people buying APP 1 or 2 because they're popular and they don't know well real differences in audio products, codecs, etc.) believing this comments, comments that aren't often true, but are comments that are repeating by many people (like wired vs BT, lossy vs lossless, LDAC vs AAC or MP3, headphones are always better in sound than IEMs, etc.) and mentioning often (very) expensive alternatives. This is similar when many people saying that very expensive DAPs are many more better than the sound from a mobile phone, for example, or that expensive DAC is making tremendous big difference in sound. And this comments are coming often with exaggerations in the language, "A is killing B", "A is leaving B in dust", "A is blowing B out of the water", etc. and with addition of special audio terminology.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #527 of 979
For me isn't a worry the comments, I seeing the intention of the post clearly. If he preferring the Xelento or other wired alternative, this is 100% OK for me, is his preference. And I know too the common signature of Beyer headphones. The peaks in the treble of Xelento, for example, are problematic for me, and similar peaks are usually giving impression of better resolution, etc.

For me the real problem is the different generalisations that maybe making others people, with less experience (many people buying APP 1 or 2 because they're popular and they don't know well real differences in audio products, codecs, etc.) believing this comments, comments that aren't often true, but are comments that are repeating by many people (like wired vs BT, lossy vs lossless, LDAC vs AAC or MP3, headphones are always better in sound than IEMs, etc.) and mentioning often (very) expensive alternatives. This is similar when many people saying that very expensive DAPs are many more better than the sound from a mobile phone, for example, or that expensive DAC is making tremendous big difference in sound. And this comments are coming often with exaggerations in the language, "A is killing B", "A is leaving B in dust", "A is blowing B out of the water", etc. and with addition of special audio terminology.

I stand by my impressions of the APP2. I have no axe to grind. I’ve been working professionally in the Apple ecosystem for over 25 years. I’ve been an audio enthusiast for even longer. I’m disinclined to offer knee-jerk commentary on any audio product and I’m always careful to note that my comments are pure subjective opinion.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #528 of 979
I got these in, and I generally like the APP's design in terms of practicality and the ANC performance. I like the bigger sound stage and bass. Bass is improved, probably one of the best bass quality of any TWS. What I don't like about the APP2 is that it sounds way too warm. Too warm in a way that reduces clarity. Mids sounds too thick. I recently got the new Bose as well, and I much prefer the sound quality of the Bose. Just that Bose's isn't as great when it comes to practicality of usage. I really want the best of both worlds.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #529 of 979
Same general impressions. They’re clearly superior to the first generation. I agree that the fit is better. I’m getting a solid seal with the L tips. I can even get them to pass the seal test in settings. They’ve gotten better with wear.

I think someone else already mentioned it but it seems like the sound is better on the 2’s with ANC turned off. With it on there’s a too much of that compressed sound coloration. It makes the whole soundstage seem thinner to me.

And on ANC, while it’s absolutely better on the 2, they still offer less isolation than just about all of my wired IEMS. Deeper insertion mechanically blocks a lot more than the ANC on AirPods Pro can.

Good write up. I would say that these need some run in time. Mine sound smoother after 50 or so hours, some of which is attributable to the tips softening up some.
Yes of course, but at the expense of comfort. Traditional iems offer passive isolation by entering deep inside the ear canal which as a result causes ear pain, discomfort, itching and fatigue after around 1 hour of continuous usage. APP2 offer great ANC and at the same time being comfortable like a feather. You can have the APP2 in your ears all day long and feel you have nothing at all. This is the real difference!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #530 of 979
I wouldn’t worry about those comments. the person you responded to likes beyer iem. If you know anything about beyer, it’s that they are extremely colored. Some love the “beyer sound” some hate it, I personally hate it so there is that frame of reference. APP2 sounds fantastic to me (I already articulated its shortcomings in an easier post) with my personal HRTF enabled (without head tracking) and using Apple Music. HRTF changed timbre, upper midrange and soundstage for me for the better. Also running app2 off of MBP 2021 sounded better to me than iPhone and turn off ANC for less sound artifact.
I never said APP2 didn't sound great. For a bluetooth iem it sounds great. There are wired iems that sound leagues ahead of it, and for not much more.

My interest was in, have Apple closed the gap with wired iem performance, at the $300ish price category. They really could with the insane budget they have for the APP2. Sadly, technically, they have not closed that divide.

At the same time, the APP2 are, in my opinion, the best tws on the market for overall features and sound.

I'm not repeating comments. I very stringently test my iems with test tracks I know well, and I listen very carefully to the various parts of the FR curve, independently, to evaluate the iem. the APP2 are a great tws. They do not compete with a Xelento, which is not an expensive iem, check ebay, they are going for $300-400 used.

The APP2 don't even compete with an S12 technically. These are just facts, annoying ones, as I dearly want APP2 to replace my wired iem usage. I love the product. But if you sit down, carefully, with a good wired iem, and the APP2, you will notice considerable differences in the clarity of the sound and the imaging, even with a decent wired iem. Try a 7hz timeless, an S12, anything well received and you'll see.

If it makes your purchase feel better, then by all means turn a blind eye to the alternatives and enjoy what you have. But there's no need to devalue the opinions of others, which have been carefully arrived at, simply because they unsettle you. Or perhaps this thread should exist like a Techradar review, only to make favourable comparisons and to drum up our purchase with pure hype...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #531 of 979
Yes of course, but at the expense of comfort. Traditional iems offer passive isolation by entering deep inside the ear canal which as a result causes ear pain, discomfort, itching and fatigue after around 1 hour of continuous usage. APP2 offer great ANC and at the same time being comfortable like a feather. You can have the APP2 in your ears all day long and feel you have nothing at all. This is the real difference!

I like the deeper insertion but yes, point taken.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #532 of 979
1664864113116.png
1664864125340.png

Anyone tried this? To compare

I've enjoyed earpods ($20 wired) with the tips and really like them. Anybody know gen2 vs new pro, pro gen 2

I not super happy with wireless in general (use galaxy bud + ), and earpod is miles better (w/ foam tips)

To clarify, I am wondering if the newest can beat earpods (the cheapest) with foam tips.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #533 of 979

This is key. It’s unreal how comfortable these are!

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #534 of 979

Yes, this is very true. I mentioning something similar before in this thread. The semi-shallow insertion of the APP 2 (similar like APP 1 but better now) and the vents that allowing the earpieces better breathing is making a big difference in comfort AND in the health of your ears that needing breathing.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #535 of 979
1664864113116.png1664864125340.png

Anyone tried this? To compare

I've enjoyed earpods ($20 wired) with the tips and really like them. Anybody know gen2 vs new pro, pro gen 2

I not super happy with wireless in general (use galaxy bud + ), and earpod is miles better (w/ foam tips)

To clarify, I am wondering if the newest can beat earpods (the cheapest) with foam tips.
That's an interesting solution to get some low-end. Looks to be questionable stability however.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #536 of 979
That's an interesting solution to get some low-end. Looks to be questionable stability however.

I had these on my original AirPods briefly. They really added way, way too much bass with the tighter seal. I guess the non-pro APs are tuned more like an earbud, which makes sense with the loose fit.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #537 of 979
The semi-shallow insertion of the APP 2 (similar like APP 1 but better now) and the vents that allowing the earpieces better breathing is making a big difference in comfort AND in the health of your ears that needing breathing.
Can you explain what you mean by "health of your ears" with respect to IEM insertion depth? Completely agree about shallow depth being more comfortable, but I'm not aware of there actually being a health implication.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #538 of 979
I had these on my original AirPods briefly. They really added way, way too much bass with the tighter seal. I guess the no-pro APs are tuned more like an earbud, which makes sense with the loose fit.
Yes, I see where you are coming from. I can see them applying a lot of bass due to non-existent seal.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #539 of 979
Yes, I see where you are coming from. I can see them applying a lot of bass due to non-existent seal.

Some people might actually like it, but it was way too far from neutral to my ears... and I like bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back