Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #422 of 979
Does the AirPods Pro 2 support alac? Or is there any point in downloading more than aac?

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #423 of 979
I have been listening Apple Music Lossless using Airpods Pro and I like it very much. I can see significant increase in sound quality in Apple Music Lossless. Its weird as the transmission is still 256 kbps AAC codec even though source is lossless

Is anybody experiencing the same using Apple Music Lossless?
Don’t think you get different sound using lossless. Since the transmission is aac 256? So it’s scaled down to this regardsless of the lossless playing?

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #424 of 979
Some good points about the PI7 after my post. I should have been more precise. Long story as I have never been able to connect my PI7 to aptx-HD for some reason (I even bought a new player specifically for it). So my comparison so far is based on a iPhone which is probably not fair towards the PI7. I’ll have a listen with aptx later (even if HD still doesn’t work).

Still impressed with the APP2 and they don’t have the flaws or weaknesses the PI7 got. If you could combine them that would probably be something.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #425 of 979
I sold Airpod Pro 1 and just got these. So far extremely disappointed:
1. Sounds too sharp sibilant. Not enjoyable. Bass distortion. Much worse than Airpod Pro 1.
2. Volume control is too difficult to use by swiping on Airpod and they fall out/loosen when trying.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #428 of 979
1. Sounds too sharp sibilant. Not enjoyable. Bass distortion. Much worse than Airpod Pro 1.
2. Volume control is too difficult to use by swiping on Airpod and they fall out/loosen when trying.
My initial impressions differ: Not sibilant (but I have high frequency hearing issues); Bass is good; volume control works well after some getting used to how it functions.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #429 of 979
My initial impressions differ: Not sibilant (but I have high frequency hearing issues); Bass is good; volume control works well after some getting used to how it functions.
The falling out was fixed when I started using the largest tips supplied.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #430 of 979
Did you try changing tips? The medium passed the fit test for me, but I changed to the large and they sealed better, and are more comfortable and the sound changed quite a bit on me, sound became way less thin. These things have adaptive EQ, and wants you to scan your ears with the camera. It’s trying to create a tailored sound so it’s doing weird stuff with its processing based on that scan and what its mics are picking up.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #431 of 979
First time comparison between my new APP2 and PI7 were done on an iphone - and with the ANC turned on.

Now I have tried to compare them using my Fiio M6 for my PI7 and iphone for my APP2. Unfortunately I still can't get my PI7 to work with aptx-HD. Not sure if it is my M6 or my PI7 that are the problem. Using the case for my PI7 it will connect as LL.

I do consider myself reasonably "sophisticated" when evaluating headsets, but I am not an "expert" and especially for IEMs I don't have that many references (full sized I have spent a fair amount of time listening to quite a few headsets and I will typically drop by shops to test when new headsets drop).

Typically I will have a clear view on the difference between headsets (obviously subjective even if it always feels "objective" in your own head). Between the PI7 and APP2 I don't when the ANC is turned off for the PI7 and I use my Fiio M6 vs. iphone and ANC on for the APP2. For all other configurations using the PI7 on the iphone or with the ANC on I would say the APP2 is better (trying to stay away from the slightly hyperbolic language I used in my first post in this thread).

The main difference between them for me is that the PI7 is slightly "fuller" when listening to let's say Tool. But I am surprised that it isn't by much. Maybe the difference would have been clearer if I could have used aptx-HD. For classical music I can hear more detail on the APP2 - even if for more "heavy" parts like when listening to the likes of Beethoven I might prefer the tonal sound on the PI7.

And since the ANC in my opinion completely distorts the sound on the PI7 the overall winner in terms of actual practical use is for me clearly the APP2. But when others in here claim the PI7 is actually a better IEM I can't say they are wrong. With aptx-HD and the ANC turned off that could very well be true (probably is).

Interesting also how things are quite relative. I see people coming from the APP1 considers the APP2 to be bass heavy and a bit dark (not necessarily on this forum, but I have seen comments along those lines several places elsewhere). For me coming off the PI7 I would argue the opposite. They are a bit light and thin if anything. Not sure what would be "objectively" true.

Looking forward to hear what others who got the PI7 think.

By the way. Used my APP2 at a cafe this morning. ANC is very very good. Very impressed how such small and light IEMs can significantly reduce overall noise level. Can't wait to test them out on some flights within a couple of week. And in the office. Might finally have found a "headset" that works reasonably well for about everything.

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #432 of 979
I want mentioning something important about ANC.

Today is second day I testing the APP 2 with construction work outside (only 30 meters away!). Yesterday I'm changing quickly for comparisons but today I using ANC more and no comparisons with others ANC IEMs/headphones. The important thing is that when turning on ANC the noise cancellation is changing in the next few seconds (2-3) and sometimes is changing more after 6-7 seconds if you position the earpieces little better, and is always for better isolation. This is impressing me very much because I can see the computational aspect working.

Then I deciding doing my typical test with a speaker and youtube video of airplane noise and loud cafe sounds, and comparing with the excellent ANC of the Sony XM3 headphone. In both categories the APP 2 is clearly better.

Speaking of different topic, I'm looking for opinions of differences between new Bose QC Earbuds 2 and APP2 and every video or article online saying the Bose having more bass than APP2 and that ANC is little better in Bose QC 2. If the bass is more strong in Bose QC 2, then the Bose isn't for me because for me the new APP 2 bass is just correct in the quantity. About the ANC that is better in QC 2, maybe this is true but after my experience (above) today, where the ANC is adapting with outside noise in 2-7 seconds, I don't know if the people comparing this 2 earphones waiting sufficient time for that opinion. But even is Bose is little better, the APP 2 is really very impressive.

For the person that saying that the APP 2 is sibilant comparing with APP 1, I'm 99,9% he isn't having correct fit / tips because from my memory of APP 1 the APP 2 is having more relaxing treble and more big bass, a more warm signature. I always using medium tips with other IEMs, but with the APP 2 I'm using large tips. The hearing test is saying medium is sometimes good and sometimes not good. With large the test is saying is always good and I can hearing the difference. People with IEMs experience (I having a lot) knowing very well that tips size and insertion are critical aspects.

And, by the way, the volume control in APP 2 is working excellent. I love the haptic and sound aspects of this. My seal is never breaking when I changing the volume.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #433 of 979
Did you try changing tips? The medium passed the fit test for me, but I changed to the large and they sealed better, and are more comfortable and the sound changed quite a bit on me, sound became way less thin. These things have adaptive EQ, and wants you to scan your ears with the camera. It’s trying to create a tailored sound so it’s doing weird stuff with its processing based on that scan and what its mics are picking up.
This was good advice. I normally use size small ear tips, but switched to the medium after reading this and i’m getting a better seal and better bass.

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #434 of 979
I am getting some bass distortion as well. Thought it was in my head. Really weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back