Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Sep 23, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #406 of 984
It's not a berylium driver, it's a berylium coated, which tons of iems have under $300. Doesn't mean anything, tiny boost in rigidity.

Sure some people like them. I'll be honest, i suspect they haven't rigorously compared them side by side. There are details in the treble of Airpods Pro that just aren't there on the MW08, or are very faint. It's an objective thing. I can see someone preferring the MW08 if they love bass.
I'm not alone at all either, I just checked Crinnacles tws list and he gave the MW07+ a D+ grade, said they're tonally poor and interestingly the exact same finding as me, mids pushed back due to excessive V shape. And he gives the Airpods Pro a respectable B-. I'm not saying he's an authority, just that people do agree with me and the other poster, so it's not that strange at all. Each to their own.

You're comparing the mw08 with APP 1. I'm comparing mw08 with APP 2 and I only mentioning the APP 1 from my memory. And it's "an objective thing" that treble performance in mw08 is better than APP 2 and that bass in APP 2 is having more quantity / amplitude. Crinnacle giving mw07 Plus D+ grade? Ok. For me the mw08 is better in sound than mw07 Plus. And if you asking Crinnacle, he probably giving the bowers & wilkins p9 that you loving so so much a big failure score. I buying the p9 when is releasing 5 years ago (or about that time) and I returning in only few days because the sound is very dark. I think isn't good headphone at all, and many people thinking this too because nobody speaking about that headphone in that time or after, and that is objective too, by the way.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #408 of 984
Wow! Thanks for the information. This would work on my M1 MacMini and IPad Pro?
iPad should work for sure. Not sure about Mac mini. You need the iOS device to output audio in hi res losses from Apple Music or Tidal etc. you may need a cck connector.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #410 of 984
I just got the APP2’s. They are almost like listening to open backs… wasn’t expecting that at all. Tone seems to be opening up, only been listing to them for 15 minutes. I imagine thats probably got something to do with the adaptive EQ figuring itself out.
They do indeed sound very open. Not sure it’s good or bad but it’s there.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #411 of 984
They do indeed sound very open. Not sure it’s good or bad but it’s there.
I rather like it, I mostly listen to open backs. It’s like open backs that don’t bleed. Win win for me. A couple of other interesting things I’m seeing on the web about them. Apparently Apple says don’t change the tips, they claim it changes the sound quality. They don’t want you using Airpod pro 2 tips on regular AirPod pros and vice versa . Also because these can utilize Bluetooth 5.3 there is the possibility Apple could push lossless to them in the future if you have the iPhone 14 or yet to be named future iPad.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/23/23368633/apple-airpods-pro-ear-tips-incompatible-mesh

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/10/airpods-pro-2-lossless-support-comment/amp/

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #412 of 984
I rather like it, I mostly listen to open backs. It’s like open backs that don’t bleed. Win win for me. A couple of other interesting things I’m seeing on the web about them. Apparently Apple says don’t change the tips, they claim it changes the sound quality. They don’t want you using Airpod pro 2 tips on regular AirPod pros and vice versa . Also because these can utilize Bluetooth 5.3 there is the possibility Apple could push lossless to them in the future if you have the iPhone 14 or yet to be named future iPad.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/23/23368633/apple-airpods-pro-ear-tips-incompatible-mesh

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/10/airpods-pro-2-lossless-support-comment/amp/
I can’t decide yet. For some types of music I like them - acoustic for example. For rock they seem to be a little thin sounding.

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #413 of 984
To me they sound open as has been said, but also rather laid back. A more relaxed sound overall, not what i’d call exciting. Not sure how I like it. Maybe they’ll evolve with time?

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #414 of 984
To me they sound open as has been said, but also rather laid back. A more relaxed sound overall, not what i’d call exciting. Not sure how I like it. Maybe they’ll evolve with time?
They aren’t very exciting. They are purposely boring. Balanced. Safe. It’s not a knock on them. But that’s how they feel to me. I am not sure I’d pick them up with music in mind. Too many better sounding tws. They have their place. Media. Phone calls. Play nice with iOS. But music? Meh.

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #415 of 984
They aren’t very exciting. They are purposely boring. Balanced. Safe. It’s not a knock on them. But that’s how they feel to me. I am not sure I’d pick them up with music in mind. Too many better sounding tws. They have their place. Media. Phone calls. Play nice with iOS. But music? Meh.
Yes, exactly. They remind me of the Meze Empyrean. Safe, a bit flat, and dull. But how much of that is firmware/software? Apple could “fix” them if they wanted to. And maybe the drivers need some time?

The tips definitely make a difference. I tried swapping in my Dekoni foam tips and the sound was worse, kind of muffled. They sound better with the default tips.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #416 of 984
I can’t decide yet. For some types of music I like them - acoustic for example. For rock they seem to be a little thin sounding.
I agree that acoustic does sound good.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #417 of 984
I see them as a big improvement over the old airpod pros. I like them. I think they are a bit relaxed perhaps. Not too warm or too bright, but not exactly neutral either. For all around out and about use and convenience, they fit the bill for me. To me the sound quality sounds just a bit different when you switch between ANC and transparency mode. You could try some EQ I suppose. I haven’t played around with that yet. And I agree with the poster that said perhaps they need a bit of time. To me no headphone or speakers sounds their best fresh out of the box, which is why I’m mainly focusing on their openness right now.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #418 of 984
I see them as a big improvement over the old airpod pros. I like them. I think they are a bit relaxed perhaps. Not too warm or too bright, but not exactly neutral either. For all around out and about use and convenience, they fit the bill for me. To me the sound quality sounds just a bit different when you switch between ANC and transparency mode. You could try some EQ I suppose. I haven’t played around with that yet. And I agree with the poster that said perhaps they need a bit of time. To me no headphone or speakers sounds their best fresh out of the box, which is why I’m mainly focusing on their openness right now.
They do seem to sound different switching modes as you observed.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #419 of 984
I see them as a big improvement over the old airpod pros. I like them.
Same. I didn’t like the APP for music, mainly just used them for podcasts / Apple TV. Only a day with these but was listening to music last night with them and it was enjoyable.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #420 of 984
NC appears to be better than my Sony WH-1000EM4 cans in regards to my home furnace or AC noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back