Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Jul 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #106 of 361

As I mentioned earlier, compared to iFi's iDSD Micro, the Apogee couldn't quite match its soundstage.

The Groove sounds great and has a good (but not immense) amount of soundstage (also depends on headphone being used and whether it is capable of exhibiting a very wide soundstage). I used both the HD598 and HD650 and a Fiio HS2 switcher to test. My other headphones are mostly closed and have a lower soundstage ceiling. To my ears, the 598 carries a wider soundstage than the 650 although the 650 beats it in many other areas.

I could hear a distinct difference in soundstage between both dac/amps. The Groove sounded smooth and wide until I switched to the iDSD Micro and the width increased (by my ears) roughly 20% on most tracks. Both have full metal outer casings but the Micro does have an internal battery and dual dac chips (even though it's not balanced). The Groove, being much smaller, gets much hotter in comparison but it can still drive high-impedance headphones.

That is the Groove's main advantage. Its small enough to fit on a keyring (even has a notched loop to attach a wrist strap) and still drive headphones like the hungry HD650 to ear splitting levels.

FYI: Just ignore the Groove if you only have Windows......

EDIT: for reference the iDSD Micro's dac section has been argued to be second (for portables) only to the Chord Hugo's. I used it to give a better picture of perhaps a TOTL soundstage. I also have a Fiio E17 but it's hard to compare only soundstage against it and the Groove. Imo, both have similar levels of soundstage but the Groove just sounds so much better all around. The E17 can be had for about half the Groove's price putting the Groove almost exactly between the E17 and Micro (in sound and price). Again, no battery in the Groove but certainly the most portable although the other 2 work much more stably with my Note 3.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #107 of 361

As I mentioned earlier, compared to iFi's iDSD Micro, the Apogee couldn't quite match its soundstage.

The Groove sounds great and has a good (but not immense) amount of soundstage (also depends on headphone being used and whether it is capable of exhibiting a very wide soundstage). I used both the HD598 and HD650 and a Fiio HS2 switcher to test. My other headphones are mostly closed and have a lower soundstage ceiling. To my ears, the 598 carries a wider soundstage than the 650 although the 650 beats it in many other areas.

I could hear a distinct difference in soundstage between both dac/amps. The Groove sounded smooth and wide until I switched to the iDSD Micro and the width increased (by my ears) roughly 20% on most tracks. Both have full metal outer casings but the Micro does have an internal battery and dual dac chips (even though it's not balanced). The Groove, being much smaller, gets much hotter in comparison but it can still drive high-impedance headphones.

That is the Groove's main advantage. Its small enough to fit on a keyring (even has a notched loop to attach a wrist strap) and still drive headphones like the hungry HD650 to ear splitting levels.

FYI: Just ignore the Groove if you only have Windows......

EDIT: for reference the iDSD Micro's dac section has been argued to be second (for portables) only to the Chord Hugo's. I used it to give a better picture of perhaps a TOTL soundstage. I also have a Fiio E17 but it's hard to compare only soundstage against it and the Groove. Imo, both have similar levels of soundstage but the Groove just sounds so much better all around. The E17 can be had for about half the Groove's price putting the Groove almost exactly between the E17 and Micro (in sound and price). Again, no battery in the Groove but certainly the most portable although the other 2 work much more stably with my Note 3.

I am currently in the market to get an amp and dac and I am currently using a Fiio E17 with my mac. Will the groove be a noticeable upgradE? 

I am also considering the likes of Headstage Arrow 5TX and Leckerton UHA 6S MKII. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #108 of 361

I am currently in the market to get an amp and dac and I am currently using a Fiio E17 with my mac. Will the groove be a noticeable upgradE? 

I am also considering the likes of Headstage Arrow 5TX and Leckerton UHA 6S MKII. 

I think it would. The Groove (as a dac and amp combined) sounded much better overall (bass quality, treble clarity; much smoother; soundstage and warmth, imo, about the same) than my E17. The E17 is no slouch but the Groove was that much better on my Mac and Chromebook (don't recommend it for Windows). Is it worth double the price? Only you can answer that after trying it for yourself.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #111 of 361

how do they sound with the Z5? I am on the fence about it and I found a local store selling the groove for 367 canadian.

Z5 is perhaps the BEST pairing with Groove.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #113 of 361
would it be as good as balanced out of the PHA-3? I am hoping to use the groove as my only amp/dac for a long time. So am hoping to have it future proof as well.

PHA-3 sounds better in that regards.

Here's my little hack.  :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #118 of 361
  I ordered my groove and expect to receive it in 2 days. I don't have a usb power hub and I'm wondering if anyone connected one to it and did it provide anything? Thanks!

I am happily running this straight from my MacBook laptop. No powered hub or other devices.
It's a great question! Maybe someone else is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back