Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Jul 25, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #78 of 361
I finally managed to get my Xperia Z3 repaired, and surprise!, the Groove doesn't work with it - I get a flashing blue light. 
My two year old Moto G has no issues, with and without UAPP....
But again the Groove was never designed to be compatible with Android, or to be used with smartphones.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #79 of 361
I finally managed to get my Xperia Z3 repaired, and surprise!, the Groove doesn't work with it - I get a flashing blue light. 
My two year old Moto G has no issues, with and without UAPP....
But again the Groove was never designed to be compatible with Android, or to be used with smartphones.

If it works with moto lollipop, we have hopes for Note series....
What kind of OTG cable did you use?
This groove DAC will be an amazing addon to my Note 4 with 10,000mAh battery case.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #80 of 361
Tried the Groove with my Note 3 and......IT WORKED!

Running Note 3 upgraded to stock 5.0 with UAPP (set to USB Tweak 2). Didn't run it for too long after battery dropped 2% after only a few minutes. 

Used a 6in standard micro usb to usb A cable on the Groove's end and a micro usb otg adapter on the Note 3. It's the adapter from this kit (you can see the small otg piece in pics 5 and 6 from the top):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQPVVV0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #81 of 361
Tried the Groove with my Note 3 and......IT WORKED!

Running Note 3 upgraded to stock 5.0 with UAPP (set to USB Tweak 2). Didn't run it for too long after battery dropped 2% after only a few minutes. 

Used a 6in standard micro usb to usb A cable on the Groove's end and a micro usb otg adapter on the Note 3. It's the adapter from this kit (you can see the small otg piece in pics 5 and 6 from the top):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQPVVV0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Amazing...thanks for this info.
I'm thinking about using micro USB to micro USB cable.
Do you have anything like this?
This can be truly a one cable solution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TQOEST0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1437806813&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=micro+usb+to+micro+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=31dr--9ePLL&ref=plSrch

It's an OTG cable and will fit both Note 4 and Groove...
My Note 4 has 10,000mAh battery case so I don't worry about battery too much.

And how did the groove and note combo sound?
Is Groove DAC better than Geek Out, iBasso, Dragonfly, HA-02?

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #82 of 361
If it works with moto lollipop, we have hopes for Note series....
What kind of OTG cable did you use?
This groove DAC will be an amazing addon to my Note 4 with 10,000mAh battery case.

I used a cheap OTG cable off eBay.
Looking in to it I found out Sony removed their own USB audio DAC implementation, found in KitKat, and broke Lollipop function in their firmware.
That 'squite sad as Sony had the best compatibility with USB DAC until the Lollipop upgrade.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #83 of 361

That cable should work since its otg and I imagine a big battery can only help.

Groove and Note 3 sound good but not quite as good as my iBasso DX100. Haven't tried the Dragonfly and other you mentioned.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #84 of 361
That cable should work since its otg and I imagine a big battery can only help.

Groove and Note 3 sound good but not quite as good as my iBasso DX100. Haven't tried the Dragonfly and other you mentioned.

I had DX100... Is it not better?
I sold mine because of DX100's short battery life and terrible firmware.
How much is Groove DAC behind DX100?
DX100 sounds incredible. I agree.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #85 of 361
I had DX100... Is it not better?
I sold mine because of DX100's short battery life and terrible firmware.
How much is Groove DAC behind DX100?
DX100 sounds incredible. I agree.

Mine is the Japanese version called the R10. It has better firmware and longer battery life (still short compared to some players but worth it for the sound). The R10 also has a bit less power than the DX100 but still enough to drive power hungry headphones.

http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/ibasso_audio/3289.html

It's not a huge difference between the two. Soundstage is very similar but I think the R10 has a bit more detail.

The Groove gets fairly hot though after minutes of playing while the R10 is only warm after about 45min. Of course the Groove is much, much smaller.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #86 of 361
Mine was R10 too. Its firmware still sucks. Battery life is worse than that of Note 3, 4. Its touchscreen is bad too.
But it sounded better than anything else I've heard.
Is R10 better in nearly all songs?
I loved R10's sound stage. It's one of the widest I've heard.
It's great that Groove DAC can match that.

Is Groove DAC good enough for professional usage such as mixing and mastering? Is it detailed enough?

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #87 of 361
Mine was R10 too. Its firmware still sucks. Battery life isnworse than that of Note 3, 4. Its touchscreen is bad too.
But it sounded better than anything else I've heard.
Is R10 better in nearly all songs?
I loved R10's sound stage. It's obe of the widest I've heard.
It's great that Groove DAC can match that.

Is Groove DAC good enough for professional usage such as mixing and mastering? Is it detailed enough?

I use firmware made by a Russian user (should be links to it in the R10 thread). Much faster UI and improved sound.

Most songs sound better to my ears but the Groove does have a bit more low end than the R10.

Also tried the Groove on my Chromebook and it works. So it seems to be plug-and play with everything except Windows (for which you'll need to jump on 1 leg to get the drivers).

With my Note 3, there is some static (popping) when playing music through the Groove. The Groove doesn't get quite as hot when connected to the Note 3 vs. a computer so I'm betting it's a bit starved for power but it works. Static happens in UAPP and Pandora. No static in VLC when playing movies though but, strangely, static returns when playing music using VLC.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #88 of 361
I use firmware made by a Russian user (should be links to it in the R10 thread). Much faster UI and improved sound.

Most songs sound better to my ears but the Groove does have a bit more low end than the R10.

Also tried the Groove on my Chromebook and it works. So it seems to be plug-and play with everything except Windows (for which you'll need to jump on 1 leg to get the drivers).

With my Note 3, there is some static (popping) when playing music through the Groove. The Groove doesn't get quite as hot when connected to the Note 3 vs. a computer so I'm betting it's a bit starved for power but it works. Static happens in UAPP and Pandora. No static in VLC when playing movies though but, strangely, static returns when playing music using VLC.

I will buy an R10 again then.

Have you tried HibyMusic app? It's an app like UAPP but it's far more stable and compatible than UAPP.
Try this app and let me know how it sounds with Groove. HibyMusic is designed for DACs.

I guess the less sound quality could be caused by lack of power.
It may work better on my Note 4 with 10,000mAh battery case.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #90 of 361
My groove hardly gets warm at all, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It drives my HD650s fine, but have to crank it to 100 for most songs to be pretty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back