Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Jul 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #61 of 361
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #62 of 361
Is there a more detailed manual?

I must say that it irks me a little that there are two ways to control volume - is it OCD of me to refuse to touch the physical volume buttons until I read in a manual exactly what effect they have? However I have also seen the top LED blink red. I have submitted a help ticket (because I did not find a manual) to try to understand the cause. Of course I know it means something was clipping:

• Did it mean that my USB power source could not provide enough power, thus the AMP clipped?
  • Did it mean that the audio track being played had clipped data, a sign that someone was too aggressive during the audio mastering?

My vote is for the second. But I could use some help from anyone here who knows, or can point me in the right direction.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #63 of 361
My guess was correct. Tech response was that red LED was indicative of the audio. It may not specifically indicate clipping, but simply maximum volume in the playback for a continuous period of time.

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #64 of 361
Take into account that if you're listening to mp3 files, those can have overs because of the encoding, it's a common thing. Nothing to be worried about though, if the original tracks don't distort.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #65 of 361
  Take into account that if you're listening to mp3 files, those can have overs because of the encoding, it's a common thing. Nothing to be worried about though, if the original tracks don't distort.

Thanks!

I'm only listening to RedBook (i.e. Tidal if I am streaming) or higher quality at the moment. I think it is just an unfortunate studio error to boost the sound relative to all the other popular music. I have had my suspicions for a while about the particular song, and this just confirms. I link to the song below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Star

The higher up the fidelity chain I move, the less I like this song - once one of my favorites 
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #66 of 361

So I upgraded the computer to a MacBook Pro.  This thing knocks me out.    

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #67 of 361
  Hi Guys,

Just thinking out loud here and following in the trail-blazing path of the hifiguy528 video. I wonder if this cable would work for making the Groove work on an iPhone, along with a run-of-the-mill USB Battery pack and an Apple Camera Connection Kit?

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2.0/Micro/1foot-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Drive-Dual-USB-A-to-Micro-B~USB2HAUBY1

Best Regards!

I haven't found anyway to get the GROOVE to work out of my iPad.  i tried the GENESIS powered Y cable (a very expensive Y cable set up with AC filtered power to the
power needs of the dac, and a non ac big battery charger pac, but no matter what i do the iPad gives me a  GROOVE REQUIRES TOO MUCH POWER error message,
strange it recognizes its a GROOVEA  but won't play through it even though the groove is glowing with a blue power dot and getting its power from an external source.
any other workarounds???

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #68 of 361

I haven't found anyway to get the GROOVE to work out of my iPad.  i tried the GENESIS powered Y cable (a very expensive Y cable set up with AC filtered power to the
power needs of the dac, and a non ac big battery charger pac, but no matter what i do the iPad gives me a  GROOVE REQUIRES TOO MUCH POWER error message,
strange it recognizes its a GROOVEA  but won't play through it even though the groove is glowing with a blue power dot and getting its power from an external source.
any other workarounds???

You need this to bypass Apple's restrictions.  Note: Apogee Groove does not officially support iOS devices.  This is a hack.

http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437502859&sr=8-1&keywords=cute+usb+hub

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #73 of 361

Trying the Apogee Groove now. Surprisingly, it actually drives the HD650 very well and sounds very good. Gets pretty hot but the full metal design seems to be working.

Initial impression is it sounds smoother and has more low end compared to the iDSD Micro. The Micro clearly has a sharper roll-off and a bit more detail. Still doing A/B comparisons.

Caution: wouldn't recommend the Groove if you only have Windows. It doesn't auto install to 96Khz like some other DACs and you MUST register to get the driver. Wouldn't be a giant issue if Apogee's site was secure but it's not ( I said screw that; register at your own risk). I'm driverless for the moment and using an old Hackintosh. The Groove may go back just for Apogee being jerks with their software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back