Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Jul 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #91 of 361

I only had the Groove stay at max volume once with the HD650. Happened for an old 80s song. Max vol is far too loud on newer or remastered tracks.

The heat might be an indicator of how much power is available to it. Less heat, perhaps less power output.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #92 of 361
I could have sworn when I first started using it, it used to get hot, but not anymore.

From amazon and other places, it seems most people claim theirs gets hot so that's kind of weird.

max volume is loud for me but not too much that I have to turn it down. I would prefer about 25% louder.

I guess I'll email their tech support and see what they say.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #94 of 361
How is the bass, soundstage?

I'm not sure what you mean, because I tend to think of bass and soundstage as being an attribute of a speaker and not the AMP or DAC. But here's my interpretation.

There are headphones I own that seem "thin" when driven by a weaker power source. The AKG Q701 comes to mind. I most recently "borrowed" a Sony MDR-V6 and found it behaved similarly, missing the bass when driven by a weak source. Both headphones, when driven by the Groove have plenty of accuracy and deep bass.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Sennheiser HD650 can often sound veiled. It too sounds quite full and detailed when driven by the Groove amplifier. The Groove truly seems to push headphones, all that I have tried, to a more detailed sound signature.

I'm not going to comment on soundstage, which I still think is an attribute of the headphone.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #97 of 361
  Has anyone had the chance to compare the Groove with other existing smaller amp/DACs? 

Do you have any specific ones in mind?

I've made a small collection, because I feel there are many good values to be had. And it let's you play around with various amp/DAC options to hear the differences when paired with each headphone 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #98 of 361
  Do you have any specific ones in mind?

I've made a small collection, because I feel there are many good values to be had. And it let's you play around with various amp/DAC options to hear the differences when paired with each headphone 
biggrin.gif

I was looking at the Oppo HA-2, Dragonfly v1.2, and the Geek Out IEM dac/amp. I only have a Fiio E07K to run my 846s so any information you might have will definitely be helpful. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #100 of 361

I was looking at the Oppo HA-2, Dragonfly v1.2, and the Geek Out IEM dac/amp. I only have a Fiio E07K to run my 846s so any information you might have will definitely be helpful. Thanks!

Have you checked out the Oppo HA-2 thread? I think that box is on an entirely different level from these other boxes. I have it in my queue to catch up with the reviews there, but have not found the time
frown.gif

I've heard the Dragonfly version 1.2, and feel that it was once the premium DAC/AMP. Now it seems that there are many other options that are smoother, more detailed, more power, etc. I would recommend against the Dragonfly, simply due to the other options available today.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #101 of 361
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #102 of 361

Have you checked out the Oppo HA-2 thread? I think that box is on an entirely different level from these other boxes. I have it in my queue to catch up with the reviews there, but have not found the time
frown.gif

I've heard the Dragonfly version 1.2, and feel that it was once the premium DAC/AMP. Now it seems that there are many other options that are smoother, more detailed, more power, etc. I would recommend against the Dragonfly, simply due to the other options available today.

I have a bit, but the packaging and description of the Groove have me intrigued. I'm also not AS interested in devices with batteries since I have an irrational fear of them going bad, and the device I'm shopping for is to use primarily in my office and on planes with my MacBook Pro. Many thanks for your notes on the Dragonfly - looks like I will be ordering myself a Groove soon!

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #103 of 361
Originally Posted by sheldaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not going to comment on soundstage, which I still think is an attribute of the headphone.

My experience is, soundstage can vary noticeably from one dac to another, and one amp to another.  I notice this most with iem's, SE 535 in my case, and notice it much less if at all, with open back full size headphones.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #104 of 361

My experience is, soundstage can vary noticeably from one dac to another, and one amp to another.  I notice this most with iem's, SE 535 in my case, and notice it much less if at all, with open back full size headphones.

I'll agree and disagree, and try to explain
blink.gif

I'll agree because I've heard exactly what you're describing with my stereo speakers. I switched between two amplifiers, made by the same manufacturer mind you! The new amplifier was spec'd to 170 watts per channel, which was higher than the amplifier I had been using (probably 120 watts). The new amp was also in a more convenient package. But I listened and listened and started to lose my mind, until I realized that the sound had changed dramatically. Switching back to the original "lesser" amplifier, the soundstage returned. The same thing happened when switching from what I would call a "standard" DAC (i.e. Schiit Bifrost w/ Uber, Oppo BDP-105) to a Meridian Director. Think what you will of the proprietary processing that Meridian runs, with no options to turn off - the soundstage again grew wider, taller, deeper, whatever adjectives you would use to describe it.

I too have heard soundstage when a specific DAC/AMP is paired with a specific headphone. But to my ears, it is not to say that because DAC/AMP model A works well with headphones B, that it will also work well with headphones A and C. It just doesn't sound that way to me. What created a vast, amazing stage for me with one headphone will often fall flat with the next headphone, despite IMHO the next headphone having a generally larger soundstage. So that's why I tend not to try to focus on soundstage when speaking of headphones and DAC/AMP products. It may be a magical pairing, or not
blink.gif

Just my thoughts
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #105 of 361

I'll agree and disagree, and try to explain
blink.gif

I'll agree because I've heard exactly what you're describing with my stereo speakers. I switched between two amplifiers, made by the same manufacturer mind you! The new amplifier was spec'd to 170 watts per channel, which was higher than the amplifier I had been using (probably 120 watts). The new amp was also in a more convenient package. But I listened and listened and started to lose my mind, until I realized that the sound had changed dramatically. Switching back to the original "lesser" amplifier, the soundstage returned. The same thing happened when switching from what I would call a "standard" DAC (i.e. Schiit Bifrost w/ Uber, Oppo BDP-105) to a Meridian Director. Think what you will of the proprietary processing that Meridian runs, with no options to turn off - the soundstage again grew wider, taller, deeper, whatever adjectives you would use to describe it.

I too have heard soundstage when a specific DAC/AMP is paired with a specific headphone. But to my ears, it is not to say that because DAC/AMP model A works well with headphones B, that it will also work well with headphones A and C. It just doesn't sound that way to me. What created a vast, amazing stage for me with one headphone will often fall flat with the next headphone, despite IMHO the next headphone having a generally larger soundstage. So that's why I tend not to try to focus on soundstage when speaking of headphones and DAC/AMP products. It may be a magical pairing, or not
blink.gif

Just my thoughts
biggrin.gif

Very well explained thank you!  I totally get it, and agree with your approach.  Thank you for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back