Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #33 of 361
  I too would VERY much like to see and Iphone version. That would be heaven when out and about.  I think the idea was for this to work with 600ohm cans, so maybe if they dialed the power back or cut it in half.   I can tell you that this thing produces a lot of heat.  It runs much warmer than my Iphone has ever been.  Not uncomfortable heat, to where it's hot, but warm enough for you to go, "wow" when you pick it up.  I don't think an iphone battery would produce this much heat for very long. 

hifiguy528 actually made a video using the groove on an iphone 6 with a neat hack. It consists of an iphone 6, lightning to usb camera dongle, external battery, and a dual usb cable. Not sure if I would walk around with that though. :p

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #34 of 361
Only listened to the device briefly with few of my head gear and I am very impressed so far by this tiny device. Enjoying it right now through my AKG812.
I tried my CIEM and earbuds and it seems to be extremely quiet. I couldn't detect any hiss or hum, even when pushing the volume to max.
The volume control seem to be very well designed with fine and precise adjustments possible with all the iem/headphone I tried so far.
Crappy pic...:

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #35 of 361
Was talking to customer service on the apogee site and they are in the process of sending out review units to the likes of Jude and other well known reviewers on head fi. can't wait to see how it fares against established players in the arena

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 361
Can u elaborate some more about the SQ?
Thanks.

Does anyone know what chip is inside?
It only says "ESS Sabre DAC"

Does anyone know how much this impacts sound? "Quad Sum DAC™, 4 DACs per channel"

And does anyone know if its possible to get a perfect line out?

Sorry for the many questions!
Thank you.
Only listened to the device briefly with few of my head gear and I am very impressed so far by this tiny device. Enjoying it right now through my AKG812.
I tried my CIEM and earbuds and it seems to be extremely quiet. I couldn't detect any hiss or hum, even when pushing the volume to max.
The volume control seem to be very well designed with fine and precise adjustments possible with all the iem/headphone I tried so far.
Crappy pic...:

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #41 of 361
Crappy pic...:

zenpunk...can you make a comparison with the Apogee Groove, Roland Mobile UA, and JDS Labs C5D?

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #42 of 361

I don't see why you would ever want some big DAC/amp on your desk when something like this is available.

That's what I've been asking myself looking at my NAD d1050. I have been using the groove with my beoplay h6 and its pure sex. Have also tried it briefly with hd650, nad viso, grado sr325i, beats solo 2 and q701 and they all sounded great. Sorry I'm not going into details but i'm very sleep deprived thanks to the groove. lol

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #43 of 361
  How is it with IEMs?

I'm using JH16pros right now.  I find that the volume at 03 is about right (that's -47db in the Groove Control Panel)  You'll have no trouble with adjusting the volume using the buttons on the Groove, I would stay the hell away from the volume slider in windows with CIEMs. 

On a side note, as much as I hate to say this, really, the SRH1540's kill the JH16s.   The JH16's have their place, like anytime you don't want some big goofy headphones on your head.  But damn, the SRH1540's are a real eye opener. Especially with this thing.

-edit-
I think to be fair I must say I have long ear canals.  I think this has an effect on the overall sound of the JH16s. So for me it may not the same as for someone else, like everyone is going to have a different experience with the exact same model/drivers, because our anatomies are all different.  I really don't like to talk bad of the JH16's they are spectacular for isolation and low profile mobile use.  But for critical listening like mixing and mastering, gotta go with some bigger high end cans.

K702's sound smooth and lush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back