Apogee Duet vs. Cambridge DacMagic?
Jul 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vjack

New Head-Fier
I'd like to pick up one of these to sit between my iMac and Audioengine A5s. I'm aware of the reported USB jitter with the DacMagic and would use a Toslink connection if I go that route. I've had little luck finding comparisons of these two. Any opinions?

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 17
I play the guitar and while I wouldn't have to record anything on my Mac with the Duet (have other recording interfaces) it would be a minor plus. I don't like that the Duet can only be used on a Mac. Even though I will be using it on my Mac Pro, that is limiting if I want to shuffle things around in the future.

But from a pure DAC perspective, I'm also interested in how these two compare over an optical connection.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 17
probably so. Also, they are both in about the same price range, so chances that someone has both are not so big. The Duet is nice by the way
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 17
The Duet is very nice for the money but the DACMAGIC is more versatile.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 17
I can say that the duet is a remarkable device. Amazing sound, even if you don't consider the many features. The dac magic, by review, is decent but nothing special. But it is a stand alone dac, so that's a benefit over the duet.

You may want to give the apogee ONE a shot, if you don't need the inputs, and you're doing most of your listening at 44 or 48.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dac magic, by review, is decent but nothing special.

which reviews?

The DacMagic is pretty acclaimed. The only "reviews" that slammed it were Stanley Beresford in the original DacMagic thread and some other random people. Most reviews I have read about it said it sounds great . . . I should know, because I own one.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Heard them both ( on different systems). They have different features in regards to connectivity. I think the ADC functions of the Apogee make that unit worth more to me but firewire in/MAC only is kinda a bummer. I have been using mine every day for almost 2 years now and havent heard anything that makes me want an upgrade. But I also own a Compass to use on secondary systems including a PC laptop, CD player and bedroom TV.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't argue with how you hear things, having not heard them myself, but the duet plays in pretty lofty company.

If you have not heard it why come out with this comment in the first place, "The dac magic, by review, is decent but nothing special" and then go on the defensive when someone challenges you.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 17
grawk loves his Duet.
wink.gif

It was only slightly behind my Lavry DA10 (using an optical connection from my MacBook Pro) when I owned both. With a custom break-out cable it would be hard to find anything at the price to beat it, except in naturalness, which it lacks.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have not heard it why come out with this comment in the first place, "The dac magic, by review, is decent but nothing special" and then go on the defensive when someone challenges you.

I didn't get defensive when challenged, I merely didn't challenge you. I stated all along I hadn't heard the dacmagic. I've heard a LOT of sources tho, and the duet is something special.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grawk loves his Duet.
wink.gif

It was only slightly behind my Lavry DA10 (using an optical connection from my MacBook Pro) when I owned both. With a custom break-out cable it would be hard to find anything at the price to beat it, except in naturalness, which it lacks.

Unless you're making your own recordings, I don't know how anyone knows what is "natural" in an audio component.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 17
I decided I didn't like the fact that the Duet was Mac only. After reading some more reviews and doing some shopping around, I settled on a Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It hasn't arrived yet, but it looks like it will be a good starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back