Apogee Duet + RSA Mustang+denon headphones - anyone tried this combination?
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Feather225

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to improve the sound quality of my Denon D7000. currently, I listen to the headphone right out of my Apogee Duet - No external Amp (sounds great.)
However,
I am thinking of buying a RSA Mustang and use it as an external amp connects to the Duet to feed the Denon.

I wonder if this new add-on will considerably improves Denon's performance or not...

Does it worth the money in my case?

any comments will be helpful~

Thanks,
Feather

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 12
I have Blutarsky's Duet here and I am not sure it sounds any different than the HP out of my mini-DAC. The Headphone out of the Duet or mini-DAC is pretty good with stock D7000 already, which we tried at the 11/1 CO head-fi meet along side my modded D2000 that sounded almost the same, but with slightly better treble extension due to my APS cable. The Duet HP out is pretty good and on par with other $250-400 headphone amp only boxes.

One portable that I know is great with the modded D2000 is the Meier 3MOVE which helps fill in the mids which are a little more recessed than those on the D5000, and the D7000 mids were just like those on the modded D2000. But, the 3MOVE and Duet may still be close to the same level, except the 3MOVE is just a little smoother in the highs than HP out of my Apogee mini-DAC or the Duet.

But normally I would recommend a desktop amp with lot of current output if you are trying to upgrade from the Duet HP out. The minimum amps I have found to be just a slight upgrade over the Duet would be something like Grahm Slee NOVO or Head-direct EF1 or Travagans Red with AD743 opamp upgrade (or OPA627), or Headroom Micro Amp. But if you are looking for a more noticeable upgrade you'd have to spend a lot more than those $250-400 options. In my house, the next jump up in sound quality is my upgraded Single Power Square Wave XL, which would cost $1249 if Mikhail could get his act together and actually ship stuff. The modded D2000 run balanced out of the Single Power is a nice upgrade over the Apogees, and you don't need a balanced DAC to get the sonic benefits from the balanced drive with this amp. Since Mikhail is so bad about delivering orders, I would recommend the Headroom Balanced Desktop, and re-terminating your cable to balanced (and get a single ended adapter). It will also convert the single ended input to balanced, and the Duet DAC is likely every bit as good as the optional one for the balanced desktop, and 98% as good as the Apogee mini-DAC.

The D7000 were also pretty nice out of a stock Woo WA6 set for low impedance phones at the 11/1/08 meet, and even better out of my maxed WA6 with PDPS mod and Sophia Princess rectifier that took it to the same $1250 as the Single Power.

I have never heard the Mustang, or other intermediate amps like KICAS Caliente, or LD Mk VI. But they may be good options too. Another great amp with the Denon (at least my modded D2000 but not tried D7000 with it) was the Headamp Gilmore Reference Amp which was extremely transparent and well controlled with Denon when I had the amp on loan last month or two, and a used one might turn up for between $600-800 if you look. I would still prefer the WA6 over the Gilmore Reference because of how it sounds better with my RS-1 and HD600.

So, if you are not going to spend 1.5 - 2x as much as the Duet costs for your amp, you might not find the improvement worth what you spend.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the Duet and I find the built-in HP amp works great with my RS-1s but not with my HD650s. I don't have the Denon D7000 so can't comment specifically to those. However, I do have the Ray Samuels SR-71 amp (the original) which I'm sure is quite close to the Mustang. Right now I am using the Duet DAC out to my SR-71 for my HD650s. It is definitely a big improvement for the HD650s over Duet's built-in amp but I am still not fully satisfied and am looking to upgrade the amp, possibly to the Graham Slee Solo SRG or the Cayin HA-1A since that will probably scale better with my Grados as well.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 12
I've noticed as you go up the amp scale that you tend to get noticably tighter bass out of Denons. Because they are only 25 Ohm, lower than many IEMs, they are easy to drive. I find my D5000s very listenable with a Corda Move. I'd pick a good desktop amp to drive them though.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 12
So do you use the Apogee Duet just for playing music or you do some recording as well ? Is it really worth buying the Duet if I won't be doing any recording stuff ? Or would you recommend something like iBasso D10 ? The Apogee mini-DAC is way out of my budget :p!

I currently have a Denon AH-D2000 with a Bithead from a Macbook pro. I don't see a big difference with and without the bithead in the setup.
So, I thought I will start upgrading my setup starting with a good source.

NOTE : my questions are open to all for answer ..not just for the quoted person
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to improve the sound quality of my Denon D7000. currently, I listen to the headphone right out of my Apogee Duet - No external Amp (sounds great.)
However,
I am thinking of buying a RSA Mustang and use it as an external amp connects to the Duet to feed the Denon.

I wonder if this new add-on will considerably improves Denon's performance or not...

Does it worth the money in my case?

any comments will be helpful~

Thanks,
Feather

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 12
The Duet is a seriously good DAC -- I've gone through four highly-regarded (and far pricier) DACs in the past year and come back to the Duet. It's superb.

As an HP amp, it seems to do better with low-impedance phones, though it will drive 650s. The Denon D7000s are surprisingly good out of the Duet, as are RS1s, though both will shine with a dedicated amp. The Senns are fine, but nowhere near as good as they can sound with a more powerful amp.

I've been listening to a Duet/Millett Max combo recently, and it is fabulous -- detailed, quick, spacious and electrifying on sympathetic music. So I'd say that the Duet plus an amp that is both detailed and a little warm (M3? HR Desktop?) makes a fine match and will be more of an all-rounder than just the Duet.

best,

o

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you're spending a lot of money on a system that doesn't really fit together, I mean, are you planning to keep the Duet as "portable" that you want a portable amp?

I'd say there are MUCH better options for a desktop setup.

Well, my situation is lil different, I cannot purchase a very dedicated desk reg because I am always moving around, from one state to another...

So I need something "transferrable" like the Duet, but not Lavry d10 for example.

I was planing to get a RSA mustang, but then I realize its no point... Duet runs denon just fine... afterwards I thought of getting a woo audio 6 as Larry recommended for both low and high impedance headphones... but then I had financial problem and I had to choose between a vocation to Austria or Woo audio 6, and I chose vocation to Austria... certainly the right choice for me ^ ^

I am still saving up for the woo audio 6...

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you use the Apogee Duet just for playing music or you do some recording as well ? Is it really worth buying the Duet if I won't be doing any recording stuff ? Or would you recommend something like iBasso D10 ? The Apogee mini-DAC is way out of my budget :p!

I currently have a Denon AH-D2000 with a Bithead from a Macbook pro. I don't see a big difference with and without the bithead in the setup.
So, I thought I will start upgrading my setup starting with a good source.

NOTE : my questions are open to all for answer ..not just for the quoted person
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

I never used my duet for recording, I use it as a DAC or HP amp. it worth every penny solely for the DAC.
and most people says its HP amp section rivals most if not all portable amps. (I certainly agree with my limited experiences)

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 12
A possibility might be a Graham Slee Novo. It comes with an international wall wart w/ the various adapters and it can be used from 100 volts to 250 volts so as you travel you can take it with you. The Novo drives my HFI-780 and AH-D5000 very well.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am using the Duet DAC out to my SR-71 for my HD650s.

Interesting. I hadn't heretofore pondered hooking the Duet up to a portable amp but I also have the SR-71 and love it.
Now I'm going to go give that a try with my full sized cans for the heck of it.
I've only paired it with my Triple Fis so far.
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 12
I find the Duet to be a good DAC and Amp.

I am still waiting on the KICAS Caliente Amp to pair with the Duet, so I will let you know how that goes. But I would say you can't really go wrong with the Duet to start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back