Apogee Duet: HD-600 or 650s?
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by indianbraker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
many reviews suggest the hd600 had a better overall sound while the hd650 had better individual characteristics that apparently didnt blend as nicely as the hd600s

Please cite said reviews.

EDIT: 8/14/08: No response. Figures.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 41
I asked Apogee if the Duet was capable of driving 300 ohm headphones.
Their response was non committal.

Quote:

The 30 Ohm headphone output will drive 300 Ohm headphones, but there will be less SPL. If it is too low, then you should get an external headphone amp.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 41
which 300 ohm headphones? I have used the duet with 580s, 600s, and 650s all with some success. Not better than my m3, but still sound good.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which 300 ohm headphones? I have used the duet with 580s, 600s, and 650s all with some success. Not better than my m3, but still sound good.

HD-600. My HD-600s sound mostly great through the duet, but never having heard them before the duet, i am curious if they can sound better.

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #22 of 41
Sure, they can sound better, but not easily. There's always better, find a spot you like and enjoy it for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #23 of 41
After listening to the HD-600's connected to my modest Proton 520 integrated, i am convinced that the 2 Sennheisers are not a good choice for the Duets headphone output.

On my old amp the bass was tight instead of bloated and the soundstage significantly wider. I am very happy with the sound but am looking forward to getting a good H/P amp/DAC more suited to the HD-600s.

I now have a pair of Audio Technica ATH- AD1000. They sound better on the Duet than on the integrated instead of the opposite with the HD-600's.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

I don't use maestro save files personally. I also found that I got better performance by using the line out and not instrument out setting, and just setting the volume at max on the duet.

Apologies for the large bump; I seem to have developed a veritable crapload of questions.

Grawk, do you still use the Duet?

Eventually, I'd like to add an amp to the chain, using the Duet as a DAC. I think I can be pretty happy with my MBP/ALAC/Duet as my digital source.

I do think the Duet drives the HD650s reasonably well (and I do love my 650s), and certainly better than a lot of cheap or portable setups that I've tinkered with briefly. I'm happy with it for now, but I definitely want to upgrade the amp stage when I have more income.

So, although I'm just pipe-dreamin' at this point, I'd love some advice on how to set up the Duet for this purpose. Amp advice-- how is this H3? Also, do you still recommend the line out, duet at 0db attenuation for connecting to an amp? I've seen on some other, err, head-related forums where I lurk but haven't registered that some prefer setting the Duet at 25% or so. For some reason the idea of this bugs me-- shouldn't the Duet be maxed to give the best signal-to-noise ratio?

Incidentally, when I run the Duet outs to my powered speakers, I need to keep the Duet at about 25% to avoid blasting my ears out before the channels sound balanced for near-field listening.

Another question: does anyone know where I can find a break-out cable with the appropriate RCA-connectors for amp use. And--beyond that-- is there any way to go balanced from the Duet, so I can really do the HD650s a service?

Gah, I apologize again for question-dumping in this old thread. Any advice would be much obliged.

Edit: One last question. I'm sort of a n00b to computer audio-- but I'm a little confused by sample rates. I listen to lossless files mostly, these are 16bit, 44.1 khz. But under Audio MIDI setup, the sample rates are listed as 44.1 with 24 bit sample size (for input and output). Do I have this setup right?

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies for the large bump; I seem to have developed a veritable crapload of questions.

Crap away
Quote:

Grawk, do you still use the Duet?

I just got it back, as a matter of fact.
Quote:

Eventually, I'd like to add an amp to the chain, using the Duet as a DAC. I think I can be pretty happy with my MBP/ALAC/Duet as my digital source.

I do think the Duet drives the HD650s reasonably well (and I do love my 650s), and certainly better than a lot of cheap or portable setups that I've tinkered with briefly. I'm happy with it for now, but I definitely want to upgrade the amp stage when I have more income.

So, although I'm just pipe-dreamin' at this point, I'd love some advice on how to set up the Duet for this purpose. Amp advice-- how is this H3? Also, do you still recommend the line out, duet at 0db attenuation for connecting to an amp? I've seen on some other, err, head-related forums where I lurk but haven't registered that some prefer setting the Duet at 25% or so. For some reason the idea of this bugs me-- shouldn't the Duet be maxed to give the best signal-to-noise ratio?

I don't know what an H3 is, but my preference is still setting it to line out, then running it at 0db. But I also recommend experimenting to find out what works best with your amp. You don't want to overload the input on your amp, and the duet can be quite a hot signal. Quote:

Incidentally, when I run the Duet outs to my powered speakers, I need to keep the Duet at about 25% to avoid blasting my ears out before the channels sound balanced for near-field listening.

Right, that's like running the speakers at full volume with a preamp, you're getting as loud as the speakers will deliver. Not a great plan
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Another question: does anyone know where I can find a break-out cable with the appropriate RCA-connectors for amp use. And--beyond that-- is there any way to go balanced from the Duet, so I can really do the HD650s a service?

I think blue jeans makes them, and if you head over to the DIY forum, you could probably find someone willing to do it.

You can't get a balanced signal out of the duet, so you'd need to use some kind of balancing circuit to use it with a balanced amp. What I did was use a pair of cinemag CMLI 15/15b transformers.
Quote:

Gah, I apologize again for question-dumping in this old thread. Any advice would be much obliged.

Edit: One last question. I'm sort of a n00b to computer audio-- but I'm a little confused by sample rates. I listen to lossless files mostly, these are 16bit, 44.1 khz. But under Audio MIDI setup, the sample rates are listed as 44.1 with 24 bit sample size (for input and output). Do I have this setup right?

I'd give setting it to 96/24 a shot, as well, just to see what you prefer, but yes, 44/24 is appropriate if you want to avoid sample rate conversions.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 41
Thank ye kindly, grawk!

Quote:

I don't know what an H3 is, but my preference is still setting it to line out, then running it at 0db.

Hah, sorry; late-night typo on my part. I meant the m3.

Quote:

You can't get a balanced signal out of the duet, so you'd need to use some kind of balancing circuit to use it with a balanced amp. What I did was use a pair of cinemag CMLI 15/15b transformers.

Ah, cool. I did some searching around for those transformers in relation to balancing circuits but much of the discussion was a few stages over my head. Is this a pretty simple process? Most of the talk I've seen in DYI forums sort of assumes a level of proficiency with these sorts of things, and I am far from proficient, apparently!

Quote:

I'd give setting it to 96/24 a shot, as well, just to see what you prefer, but yes, 44/24 is appropriate if you want to avoid sample rate conversions.

Ok, thanks. Wasn't sure if upconverting would cause a ridiculous level of distortion; IIRC older versions of iTunes had serious problems with this sort of thing. I'll start playing around.

Thanks again for the responses.

Also, if you get a chance, could you try those new HF2s through the Duet headphone out? I'm guessing they'll be driven more than amply, but I'm curious as to what the resulting sound sig would be. Granted, I can just wait a few more weeks and figure that out myself, but this wait is a little rough.
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 41
The trick is to start itunes after you change the sample rate, then everything is hunky dory.

My plan is to use the hf2s with the duet exclusively, since I don't have any other options for headphone amps atm.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

The trick is to start itunes after you change the sample rate, then everything is hunky dory.

My plan is to use the hf2s with the duet exclusively, since I don't have any other options for headphone amps atm.

Thanks, grawk. Look forward to hearing your HF2-Duet impressions.

Does anyone have any good amp recommendations for the Duet? Something like the Headroom Desktop would probably be in my budget range (when I do have a budget). Seems a little difficult to to get impressions of the Headroom stuff-- not enough esoteric cred anymore?

I'm guessing the Micro line from Headroom isn't going to be a dramatic improvement over the Duet HP-out. No?

Anyway, something sub-1500 USD that sounds good with HD650s and the Duet? I'm trying to get things right enough to stave off the upgradeitis for a few more years. Famous last words, I know.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #30 of 41
I am in exactly the same position as OP, wanting to upgrade my HD 595's with my Duet up to 600 or 650 (don't try to make me go away from Sennheiser :p). I'm thinking HD 650 and curious whether I should get a headphone amp with that or will it be ok straight from the headphone jack? If I do get an amp, what do you guys think of the Perreaux headphone amps (made in New Zealand where I am). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back