1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Apogee Duet: HD-600 or 650s?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by parhelictriangle, Jun 29, 2008.
First

Back
1 2
  1. grawk
    You definitely should get a headphone amp for 650s, tho I don't know whether that specific one will make a difference or not. I'd recommend the 600s, as I think they're better headphones except when REALLY good amps are involved.

2. grawk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Thanks, grawk. Look forward to hearing your HF2-Duet impressions.

I posted some impressions in Jude's HF-2 thread. In summary, the duet and HF-2 are a match made in heaven.

Quote:

Does anyone have any good amp recommendations for the Duet? Something like the Headroom Desktop would probably be in my budget range (when I do have a budget). Seems a little difficult to to get impressions of the Headroom stuff-- not enough esoteric cred anymore?

I'm guessing the Micro line from Headroom isn't going to be a dramatic improvement over the Duet HP-out. No?

Anyway, something sub-1500 USD that sounds good with HD650s and the Duet? I'm trying to get things right enough to stave off the upgradeitis for a few more years. Famous last words, I know.

Sub $1500 gets you some darn good gear. From headroom, I'd get the balanced ultra desktop. It's a great amp. Other amps I've loved in that price range are a well built M^3 with Sigma 11, various Eddie Current amps, the Luxman P-200 from TTVJ, and the FET-A from TTVJ. I'm sure there are many others that would work well also.

3. elbuzzard
    My HD580 sound good out of the duet. I held off on selling my HD595 until i could cofirm that. i will miss being able to plug cans right into the ipod but suppose ill just need to get some new low impedance cans or IEM.
    incidentaly i just ordered a compass for a *cough pc system(work) i have...I will probably try to do a comparison of both the DAC and amp sections of duet and compass post burn in.

4. Vel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    You definitely should get a headphone amp for 650s, tho I don't know whether that specific one will make a difference or not. I'd recommend the 600s, as I think they're better headphones except when REALLY good amps are involved.

I've noticed that a lot while researching 600 vs 650... everyone seems to say 600's are better but how come the 650's are priced more? Is it a case of the 650s having a higher potential quality with the right gear and not being stellar without it while the 600's are easier to drive well without perfect gear?

5. ac3320
    Quote:
    Super old thread. Did you ever find the answer to this last part?

6. luisdent
    I'm curious too.  No one has described precisely how they are not the best quality on the duet or even the ipod.  Is the ipod simply not loud enough?  Or are there actual quality difference?  Does the duet's 32ohm impedance cause some frequency shifts?  Details please...

7. luisdent
    Quote:

8. luisdent
    I just got my hd600 and they sound excellent on the duet.  They meet the 1/8th impedance rule and the duet has plenty of power and details and frequency response are excellent.  Other than mismatched IEMs because of impedance issues, the duet is one of the best quality interfaces I've heard.  And I've heard a bunch.

UPDATE:
    These sound so good on my duet, all that I want to do all day is get home to listen to more music! haha.  But really.  I just can't get enough.

9. wrightanswer@ear
    Any update? Are you still pleased with the Duet/HD600 combo after a few months of use?
    I have the Duet 2 and am considering the HD600 but more than a few postings here and elsewhere say it isn't a good match. Then again, several other posters say they are very happy. Very confusing. 

10. grawk
    always trust your own ears.

11. luisdent
    If you mean me, I actually had to sell them.  I didn't want to, and I indeed loved them after a lot of use.  However, I needed a high quality portable earphone and couldn't justify the cost of both.  I've been considering re-buying them again when I can afford them if that means anything... :)  But I settled on an IEM as it can be used anywhere.  I couldn't take the hd600 anywhere (realistically).  I found them to be very high quality.  The only two gripes I have with them are the isolation (zero) and they are a tad too much mid bass.  When I say a tad, I mean a tad.  I prefer extreme flat graphed response and I lowered the mid bass a tad to make the perfect.

However, they were the closest thing I've ever heard to perfectly flat without eq, so I didn't find it necessary per se.  I simply wanted the utmost flatness. :)  If you are worried about the duet, I didn't hear any difference between that and any of my other high end gear or portable c5 amp...  They follow the 1/8 impedance rule that is generally accepted, and I don't hear any issue there.  They are powered with no issue by the duet either with plenty of headroom.

First

Back
1 2