Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS!
Apr 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #197 of 552
Sorry, I misunderstood.

You're 20, you'll get it sorted in no time. When you get to 37 like me, you can no longer "be the MIDI controller."

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #198 of 552
Hahaha. Yes there are advantages of a youthfull mind but I bet you have a car/job/positive bank balance, and it's an advantage that I'm surely whittling away at with my student lifestyle.
smily_headphones1.gif
When I find out I'll let you know.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #199 of 552
Quote:

Sorry, I misunderstood.

You're 20, you'll get it sorted in no time. When you get to 37 like me, you can no longer "be the MIDI controller."

Chldren, both of you, but 20? I have a pair of black cowboy boots older than that. I should know this by now, but the Duet is 24/96, yes? Does it upsample?

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #201 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Duet

been there a hundred times. I see that it is 24/96 in/out, but if it upsamples lower res sources, I can't see where it says so.

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #203 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that it is 24/96 in/out, but if it upsamples lower res sources, I can't see where it says so.

I noted some of my observations with different setting here. For the bulk of my own listening, I configure Audio MIDI setup to 24/96 so that iTunes' sample rate converter plays my files through the Duet at this resolution. This sounds best to my ears, except with my ER-4S, In which case I use a configuration of 24/44.1.

There is no specific advice from Apogee about what sounds best, so in the end it's really a matter of personal preference.

By the way, I will be spending the summer in the States (not too far from you), so if you still haven't heard a Duet by then, perhaps I should plan on bringing it along
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #204 of 552
If i didn't post it before (I don't remember) the Duet doesn't have enough grunt to get the most out of the ALO-K701's I've got. To get the full sound stage I have to use my MKV amp. I'm not surprised that people are happy with it as it is and don't feel the need for an amp if they are using easy-to-drive headphones.

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #206 of 552
has anyone found a way to set headphone volume and monitor volume differently? It's really annoying when I have Duet volume on full, and then i switch to headphone mode, and it's full volume through my headphones - that can't be good for them!!!

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #207 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noted some of my observations with different setting here. For the bulk of my own listening, I configure Audio MIDI setup to 24/96 so that iTunes' sample rate converter plays my files through the Duet at this resolution. This sounds best to my ears, except with my ER-4S, In which case I use a configuration of 24/44.1.

There is no specific advice from Apogee about what sounds best, so in the end it's really a matter of personal preference.

By the way, I will be spending the summer in the States (not too far from you), so if you still haven't heard a Duet by then, perhaps I should plan on bringing it along
smily_headphones1.gif

Pardon my parcel full of DAC dumb, Jaska, but the Mac can choose the sampling rate for iTunes files, so no up-sampling is necessary?

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #208 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon my parcel full of DAC dumb, Jaska, but the Mac can choose the sampling rate for iTunes files, so no up-sampling is necessary?

Tim

yeah, im pretty sure u can.... its all in the MIDI.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #209 of 552
Hmmm...reading links. So my primary use for the Duet will be listening to iTunes lossless files. I just checked - rips from CDs, 128kbps downloads from iTunes, MP3s sent by friends, etc, etc...all 44.1. So the simplest, and probably the best solution woule be to set at that rate and leave it there, yes?

If it delivers the kind of brutal detail describe in Jaska's Duet/Ety post, I'll be a happy boy. I only use my Etys for mobile purposes. I've got plenty of warmtn in my old HK integrated HD580s for warmth. What I need is clarity, detail, and perhaps a bit larger sound stage.

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #210 of 552
Hmmm....more link reading going on here. Jaska, did you have a special cable made that terminates in RCAs only? Seems like a better solution than all those unnecessary breakout cables hanging off the back like little white plastic dreadlocks. If you did, do you mind saying where and how much?

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back