Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #196 of 415
You would need tight bass for rock.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #197 of 415
I was surprised to hear the amount of bass from a Sophia Electric after leaving it on for 5 hours.  This tube didn't have much bass when I first listened to it and so it only had less than 20 hours of usage.  Its bass now is close to Shuguang Treasure in some areas.  I wonder if it was due to burn-in or operating temperature.  

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #198 of 415
I'm starting to like this Sophia Electric because it has better resolution than ShuGuang Treasure and it doesn't sound grainy.  My only dislike is its bass is not up there with ShuGuang.  

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #199 of 415
The bad boy tops them both. Did you get your exchanged bb yet?

Quote:
I'm starting to like this Sophia Electric because it has better resolution than ShuGuang Treasure and it doesn't sound grainy.  My only dislike is its bass is not up there with ShuGuang.  

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #201 of 415
I see. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait. Check out the mouse ears too. The highs are recessed, and it doesn't go quite as low as the bad boy but it has uncanny mid-bass. I use it when my ears can't handle the up front highs from the bad boy. I rarely roll the BT in anymore, but plan to try it with classical. It's tight and up front, but not as smooth as the bad boy, and doesn't go as low. I'm surprised the Sophia had less bass than the BT. Based on it's description I imagined it on par with a Russian 68HC (thick bass but more loose).
Quote:
I'm still waiting for it.  Hopefully it's not too far away.  
mad.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #202 of 415
May be my Sophia needs more breaking in.  Its bass has improved a lot since I bought it which was surprising.

Have you listened to orchestral music or movie scores through your Bad Boy ?

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #203 of 415
Yes, a little. Some jazz too. Sounds great. I f I had to settle on a single tube, the bb would be the one.

Quote:
May be my Sophia needs more breaking in.  Its bass has improved a lot since I bought it which was surprising.

Have you listened to orchestral music or movie scores through your Bad Boy ?

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #204 of 415
I've been using my Peak/Volcano as a preamp lately, and I gotta say I still like to use my Mullard ECC32.  Another favorite is the Fivre 6SN7GT.  Maybe I'll pop in my Badboyz and give it a shot sometime soon.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #205 of 415
Could you describe the characteristics of the Fivre? I like the mullard too, but a little less so. With which speaker amp are you using the Peak as a preamp?

Quote:
I've been using my Peak/Volcano as a preamp lately, and I gotta say I still like to use my Mullard ECC32.  Another favorite is the Fivre 6SN7GT.  Maybe I'll pop in my Badboyz and give it a shot sometime soon.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #206 of 415
To me I find the Fivre a musical, but well balanced tube.  I am using a McIntosh MC252 as my amplifier, speakers are Dynaudio Focus 110.  This is my Vinyl rig, source is VPI Scout 2.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #207 of 415
Very nice vinyl rig!

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #208 of 415
I didn't even care about the pre amp portion when I got mine, and for a long time I only had one connection into it but now I'm loving the preamp and running out inputs. I've recently had 3 different DACs running into it and it made the perfect platform for checking differences between them.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #209 of 415
To be honest, I find the fact that its a good preamp the best part about it, because I don't really feel like spending more money for a another preamp, and well I use it more as a preamp now then a headphone amp, which I don't listen to cans as much as speakers anyways.  Personally, all the gear I've bought for headphones, I would have been better off either just buying my favorite headphone amp/preamp which is the Pinnacle to start with, hehe.  But, I like what I have, and have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back