Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Aug 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #167 of 415

I got mine from tubeworld for around 300 dollars US. It's not my favorite at this time, though. My current favorites are the 1950's Sylvania Bad Boy (for upfront everything and harder kicking bass) and the TungSol Mouse ears (more laid back but still has excellent detail). They were only 60 each.
Quote:
Where could I get Mullard CV181 at a good price ?  Is there anything I should be aware of ?

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #170 of 415
I have no idea. My tube knowledge is very limited. I just checked my Shuguang. It doesn't have it printed on mine. Just the words 50 years treasure, a logo, and cv181-z. I like this tube, it's the goto for extreme detail, but I've found the bad boy to be close but smoother and does bass better. 

Yeah, the mullard is way up there in price. On the other hand it's on its way to becoming completely unavailable/extinct (like the Osram b65, etc). So i'm glad I got one when I did. It doesn't do bass as well as the bad boy, but it's smoothness can't be beat.

Quote:
My Shuguang tube has I1 8.0mA and I2 8.0mA written on it.  What do those figures mean ?

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #172 of 415
I think so, but I'd suggest running it by the experts in the 6SN7 thread to be sure. Or email Todd at TTVJ. 

Quote:
Could the Peak take all variations of the 6SN7 tubes ?

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #173 of 415
90% of the Pinnacle is kind of relative I think.  Some might say its 95% depends on how close to being "there" you are looking for.  The Pinnacle is a beast of an amp and quite frankly it is the very best I have heard the LCD-2.  That is just my opinion.  I like the Peak a lot and it is a great amp.  The chassis quality is very good, the chassis looks aren't what most people like.

Sound wise I love the Peak/Volcano and I think its a great amp.  If I had the money, would I buy a Pinnacle, absolutely, but I don't cause I want to buy a new car.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #174 of 415
I agree. if it's 90%, then that last 10% is THE 10% (contains the holy grail, ark of the covenant, fountain of youth, etc).
biggrin.gif

I would love to hear the Pinnacle but I know I'd only be sad after knowing that presently I can't have one. 

You really can't compare a product built to a specific price point with one that was built almost completely without cost concerns in mind.
My guess is the Peak was Pete showing what he could do with an affordable product, and the Pinnacle just shows what he can do, period.  

I really love the Peak/Volcano. It's been about 2 months and I still feel the wow factor. 
Are you still using it with the HD800's mostly?

Quote:
90% of the Pinnacle is kind of relative I think.  Some might say its 95% depends on how close to being "there" you are looking for.  The Pinnacle is a beast of an amp and quite frankly it is the very best I have heard the LCD-2.  That is just my opinion.  I like the Peak a lot and it is a great amp.  The chassis quality is very good, the chassis looks aren't what most people like.

Sound wise I love the Peak/Volcano and I think its a great amp.  If I had the money, would I buy a Pinnacle, absolutely, but I don't cause I want to buy a new car.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #175 of 415
The figures have to do with tests on both sides of the tube.  The numbers show they are matched but I don't know how to determine how much life there is left for the tube though.  That's why it's a good idea to keep extra tubes.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
My Shuguang tube has I1 8.0mA and I2 8.0mA written on it.  What do those figures mean ?

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #176 of 415
I don't use the HD-800s primarily, I actually use the LCD-2s mostly.  I think the Peak/Volcano for me so far works great with all headphones I have tried where as other amps are a little bit more picky.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #177 of 415
have you tried the peak as pe-amp to your speakers/amp? I don't have any speakers or speaker amps yet, but am curious. On another note, it looks like the b65 tube is now all but extinct, I searched and searched. 

Quote:
I don't use the HD-800s primarily, I actually use the LCD-2s mostly.  I think the Peak/Volcano for me so far works great with all headphones I have tried where as other amps are a little bit more picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back