Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Sep 20, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #406 of 415
Currently I find the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base to be the most amazing tube, with great detail to the base, powerful impact in the highs. I have a Mullard CV181 on it's way currently. The Schitt Yggy sounds great with it. I actually bought this because of Skylabs review on it. I also got a 2stepdance for the same reason. Great advice Skylabs, I am happy with this amp.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #407 of 415
I've had three differing Beta's, several of the Gilmores. The best of the bunch is the Peak (S/N 2) with Volcano.... I have the Arete also. The "honest" amps with the portray actual, your best served by the best source you can afford. I like the gold metal base (nickel bottom) Sylvanias also for the Peak!

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #408 of 415
Anyone thinking of selling their Peak + Volcano? 
wink_face.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #410 of 415
I have found in my experience though, that tubes can be microphonic or noisy with the APV, and silent through other gear.
I am not sure why that is...
I believed for a while, heck maybe still believe, that the tube socket was to blame. The socket isn't the tighest i have seen, thats for sure.
Because, the tubes i have had problems with all fit more loosely and/or had chipped or corroded pins.
Anyway, finding a silent tube is not too hard.

Still enjoying the APV very much.

Hi,
I see from your profile that you had Liquid Fire in the past.

How would you compare LF to Apex Peak? Was LF better with some headphones and Peak with others? Which one was better for high impedance cans like HD800?
thanks

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #412 of 415
Question to peak owners:
- I have a TH-X00 that sounds absolutely wonderful with Peak, and ZMF Atticus and Eikon, that both lack impact compared to Th-X00. Both are 300 Ohm.

what could be the cause? Not enough power? Poor impedance matching? Headphones just have inferior dynamics vs TH-X00? Any ideas?

Anyone experienced poor matching with high impedance cans?

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #414 of 415
Using mine with Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Stunning amp. Fast, dynamic, neutral, smooth, clean… definite upgrade from a WA6-SE.

May 12, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #415 of 415
I highly recommend putting some absorption under the tube chassis. I dropped my phone on the desk and I heard the vibrations through the headphones. I then put some isolation feet under the chassis, no more noise. Definitely improved clarity and focus - IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back