Aperio Alpha on Ebay - A Non Electrostatic Stax
Jul 2, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by a529612
What's the point of getting a non-electrostatic Stax other than it being rare? It's like getting a Ferrari with a 4 banger engine. Am I missing something here?
confused.gif

to agree with dougeh: they may sound good. stax has never made an "iso bad" headphone, this includes their old electrets. they may only hold up to the standards of the very new medium and high grade dynamics, but thats not a bad standard to meet for a headphone that may be 25 years old.

ferrari used to make a small v-8, a 2.0L in fact. it was made SPECFICALLY to meet/dodge italian emisions/displacement requirements for people who didnt want to pay tghe taxes/surcharges on the standard engines. (the obvious thought is who can afford a ferrari to start, but not the tax...) anyways, ther is nothing wrong with a 2.0L engine at its conservative 10kRPM govenors. something AWSOME about small cylenders is that they are less apt to detonate under a given set of criteria comapred to a larger cylender. food for thought.

also, im not sure if ferrari was "involved" in the 1500HP 1.5L/4cyl indy cars of the 70's. bmw was for sure.

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Funny, the same identical ad has just gone up again for about the 4th or 5th time. Either there's funny bidness going on or he has a whole bunch of them.

I'd say the latter.

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Funny, the same identical ad has just gone up again for about the 4th or 5th time. Either there's funny bidness going on or he has a whole bunch of them.

Hahaha, funny "bidness" on eBay? Impossible!

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 32
Well, I don't think it's a scam. The seller has close to 3,000 feedback and while there's a few negatives, the last one was chastising him for not packing something correctly. I can look past that.

Looking at his past auctions, it seems that he sells a lot of hi-fi gear and is probably connected to some shops and possibly some places that have gone out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a stash of these put away and slips one out now and then for sale.

As for the point? First, Stax doesn't make junk. Everything they have is high-end and they do understand headphones. They can't be terrible, and might be great fun to listen to. Second, $120 isn't that bad. I can afford it these days. And finally, a few searches at Head-Fi showed that no one here has or has listened to this headphone. That's going to change. It will be at the Los Angeles meet. It will be at next year's National Meet. I'd be willing to lend it out to Head-Fi'ers I know and trust, too.

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Here. Use it wisely, my friends.

I have not seen one on sale for the past 2 months!!!
You might find this site interesting (in Japanese only)
Here
宜しくお願い致します。

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
I have not seen one on sale for the past 2 months!!!
You might find this site interesting (in Japanese only)
Here
宜しくお願い致します。

I'm well versed in Masakazu Ookura-san's website. In fact, you'll see I linked to it on the previous page
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 32
This guy has a stash of these. Here's another one for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stax-Aperio-Alph...QQcmdZViewItem

Same price. Anyone else interested?

I'm sure it's all legit. I've chatted with the seller, paid him, and everything seems normal so far. Going back through his auctions, he sold another pair of these to someone who left positive feedback. So if you're curious, pick them up while you can.

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #24 of 32
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I already wanted to buy them a few weeks ago, but was short on money,
glad he apparently has a bunch of them!

[size=xx-small]Stax Aperio Alpha 1 Headphones-NOS-No Reserve
Item number: 300003525290
You won the item!
Click the Pay Now button to confirm shipping, get the total price, and arrange payment through: PayPal; money order.
[/size]

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Shame we haven't had any reviews of them yet....

Ofcourse, when I recieve them I'll post some impressions,
I think the fact that there are no reviews/other information made me buy them.
From the headphones I heard so far the lambda pro and sr-001 are my favorites, so a dynamic headphone from stax, out of production/rare and no reviews to get an idea of how they sound - thats too much curiosity to not buy them, even if it turns out I don't like them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 32
Ah, another pair comes out of the stash! Same price and here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stax-Aperio-Alph...QQcmdZViewItem

I will post pictures and reviews/impressions when they get here. And they will be going to meets, so a lot of people will get a chance to listen.

Also, I ran a few searches on these headphones. What comes up is this thread, the eBay listings and a couple of Japanese websites that have already been listed in thie thread. Hopefully, another Head-Fi'er will buy this pair and we can put together a profile of it here.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Shame we haven't had any reviews of them yet....

They are cute but suck sound wise IMO. If for listening, I would much rather own a K-81DJ for less money. Nice collectible, but that's it IMO... Now the ATH-2 I picked up for practically nothing, that's a nice sounding old planar can
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator
Could someone comment on the sound quality of these headphones?

I think Larry just did, see the post above yours
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not heard them, but seem uber cool even for collection purposes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back