Apartment Rent Increase
Apr 10, 2006 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve been living in the same apartment for over a year. Recently I received a letter stating they "value my tenure" and are increasing the rent from my current $1395 to $1695. That is an additional $300 per month. If I choose to forego the lease the monthly fee becomes $1895. I feel these increases are at the very least unreasonable and perhaps even illegal. Where can I determine what my tenant rights are and whether I have any legal recourse (is there a percentage limit for increases)? I live in San Jose, CA. I’m already settled here and the apartment is right between school and work so I don’t want to move until I can afford a house, but I also cannot afford the rent increase and don’t believe such an increase is even lawful. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 35
I just checked the site and my street is not within the ordinance boundaries - does this mean I have no protection?

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 35
damn, you must live in a really expensive area. i lived in a 1 room appartment in downtown los gatos for 1200 a month....

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 35
Only advice I've got is to go talk to the leasing office and see what they'll do for you. Unless people are beating down their doors, they probably want to keep you in the apartment because that's income - no costs for cleaning, having the unit sit vacant a couple months, paying the utilities during that time, etc.

I thought mine was bad going from $1160 to $1235 (and $1360 if I do month to month). I went and talked to the office about it, they said that prices are handed down from the leasing company higherups and that pretty much everybody who got a lease renewal letter came in to complain about the increases (biggest one was ~$150). They've managed to get almost all of 'em reduced and said they think they can get at least 25 bucks off my increase, which is better than nothing.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 35
Wow, a 22% increase is pretty egregious, but unless your apartment falls under some sort of rent control regulation, then it's really what the market will bear unfortunately. Previously when I was renting, I thought it was pretty bad that my rent increased by 7% per year, but then I was paying $2,060 for a 475 square foot studio.

Elec is right though in negotiating with your landlord. If you've demonstrated that you are a good tenant, paying the rent on time, no complaints from neighbors, they would hopefully rather work something out to keep you than having to relet the apartment (meanwhile losing a month or 2 of rent potentially). If what is important for them is to indicate a higher rent on the rent roll (for financing or sales reasons), then maybe instead of a lower rent, you negotiate a free month or something. But then next year you'll be up against the higher rent for renewal.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I’ve been living in the same apartment for over a year. Recently I received a letter stating they "value my tenure" and are increasing the rent from my current $1395 to $1695. That is an additional $300 per month. If I choose to forego the lease the monthly fee becomes $1895. I feel these increases are at the very least unreasonable and perhaps even illegal. Where can I determine what my tenant rights are and whether I have any legal recourse (is there a percentage limit for increases)? I live in San Jose, CA. I’m already settled here and the apartment is right between school and work so I don’t want to move until I can afford a house, but I also cannot afford the rent increase and don’t believe such an increase is even lawful. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Just call me. A few of our asset s include large (500 unit) apartment complexes in the Bay area. I can give yo any info you need on landlord/tenant rights in CA.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 35
NeilPeart I’m already settled here and the apartment is right between school and work so I don’t want to move until I can afford a house said:
That's what they're counting on!
eek.gif
mad.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 35
I recall that my sister, parents, and a friend have all been subject to the rent raise, in different complexes. My parents were able to negotiate a significant cut in the raise. My sister and the friend were able to negotiate their way out of the raise entirely. You don't lose anything by trying (unless you go berserk in the main office, lol), but it helps if you have a viable backup living arrangements. Don't let them think that you really want to stay there. Many people will accept the raise without protest (especially future tenants), and that's what they're counting on. They haven't tried raising my rent yet...

Edit: Of course we live in GA, not CA
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 35
in berkeley, fear of pricing students out of the city prompted a "rent stabalization board" which allows only small increases every year for apartments near the university; i don't know what the rules are for further away places.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 35
Man, you guys made me feel good about where I'm living. $700 a month for a 2 bedrooms, I guess is not too bad compare to what you all have to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back