anything* > iPod 1G Shuffle ??
Oct 1, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 59
Better is subjective. Can you describe what you like about the 1st gen Shuffle?

arevalo, the Touch sounds better with burn in. I didn't like the ones I heard in the store but mine sounds more refined. That is exactly what I do not think the Shuffle is. It's not as refined as other units and it's not as detailed. The sound also doesn't have much body. All of these characteristics sort of make it mate well with Koss stuff.

I myself use an iAudio U3.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 59
I decided to compare my Rio carbon with the 1st gen shuffle. They both have the same Sigmatel chip

Headphones px100's / Music : Benny Goodman -the happy sessions

I have great difficulty hearing any difference to be honest
blink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 59
What still cracks me up is that the 1st gen Shuffle's great SQ was clearly an accident that Apple seemingly went to great lengths to correct.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 59
lol personally I think the 2nd gen was such an improvement aesthetically (aka NOT a flash drive look a like) speaking and in size that somewhere it had to suffer..too bad the SQ is allegedly a step back

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to compare my Rio carbon with the 1st gen shuffle. They both have the same Sigmatel chip

Headphones px100's / Music : Benny Goodman -the happy sessions

I have great difficulty hearing any difference to be honest
blink.gif

Hardly a surprise. The Carbon was meant to be good aswell.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 59
iAudio 7 and the U3 have good reviews on them around these parts...

the ipod 1G shuffle is quite possibly the best sounding small flash DAP for the money, so i say stick with it until you really want something BIGGER and BADDER ;D

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iAudio 7 and the U3 have good reviews on them around these parts...

the ipod 1G shuffle is quite possibly the best sounding small flash DAP for the money, so i say stick with it until you really want something BIGGER and BADDER ;D

there's nothing BADDER than a white stick of gum hung around ur neck that plays music at random

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's nothing BADDER than a white stick of gum hung around ur neck that plays music at random

Hey, it does alphabetical order as well... It should be possible to modify a python script to make your music into a play list when its not on shuffle mode. It would be cool to have a display though.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something under $200 with better SQ than my 1G shuffle. I was able to listen to the iPod touch and was not satisfied with the SQ. Problem is, my touch is coming in Monday as I love everything else about it, the SQ is not up to par (w/ 1G Shuffle) and I may just sell it.

Other options I have in mind are the trekstor vibez and the iaudio 7.

Any other recommendations as far as SQ? Capacity is of no importance as I don't mind switching it up via computer. But would another option be buying an amp for the touch since I like everything else about it but the lack of bass/warmth in SQ. I am not going to be leaving it in the dust just yet and will listen more once I get mine in but so far, my 1G shuffle has the upper hand.

Sony NWZ 818 - it trounches a 1G shuffle in sound quality.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something under $200 with better SQ than my 1G shuffle. I was able to listen to the iPod touch and was not satisfied with the SQ. Problem is, my touch is coming in Monday as I love everything else about it, the SQ is not up to par (w/ 1G Shuffle) and I may just sell it.

Other options I have in mind are the trekstor vibez and the iaudio 7.

Any other recommendations as far as SQ? Capacity is of no importance as I don't mind switching it up via computer. But would another option be buying an amp for the touch since I like everything else about it but the lack of bass/warmth in SQ. I am not going to be leaving it in the dust just yet and will listen more once I get mine in but so far, my 1G shuffle has the upper hand.

Sony NWZ 818 - it trounches a 1G shuffle in sound quality.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, it does alphabetical order as well... It should be possible to modify a python script to make your music into a play list when its not on shuffle mode. It would be cool to have a display though.

It's not alphabetical, it's the order the files were added.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #29 of 59
Whoaaaaaaa.

Can someone explain to me how the 1st gen shuffle's SQ was an "accident"?

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoaaaaaaa.

Can someone explain to me how the 1st gen shuffle's SQ was an "accident"?

Well, I think it seems like an accident because of the lack of focus they have on SQ in the rest of the product line. Kind of like how they replaced the DAC in the new classic with a cheaper one to lower costs which actually resulted in higher SQ. If it doesn't affect the common consumers purchase, it doesn't seem like Apple cares.

I don't buy headphones or players because they look like art, but I'm sure others do (iPods & iBuds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back