Anything better than Hugo2 under $2000?
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ngd3

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for a DAC/Amp recommendation under $2K. I'm sure there will be some disagreement, but seems like Hugo2 is a popular choice. Appreciate any feedback. Going rate used for the H2 seems to be ~$1800

Will be using it almost exclusively with IEMs.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Had a Mojo, Hugo 1 , and Hugo 2. Sold all and been using the ifi Black amp/dac.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Np

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Soekris 1541, 1421.
Soundevices usbpre2,
As well as the already mentioned rme.

Imo I've found chord to have a house sound.
The stage tends to be a lot wider than most stuff and reduces the depth.
The impact tends to be on the softer side, lending to a more laid-back presentation. It pushes the Microdynamics a bit forward and sort of hypes the dynamics a bit. Making reverb and other features in music stand out.
From my own personal tests the Hugo 2 occupies an odd spot in the lineup and the Dave improves on the house sound quite significantly without the tonal issues of the Hugo 2.

Myself and many other people I know prefer the mojo to the Hugo 2 because it has fewer tonal issues, despite it not being as technically capable.

My main issue with the chord stuff is that the amplifier section isn't really that great, especially compared to the dac.

Alternatives which work well with iems is hard.
I prefer the rme to the Hugo 2 because it's got a lot better tonality for me. While it still has softer transients for a more laid-back sort of sound, the stage is more natural for me and it sounds more resolcing as an aio. The same reverb is there without feeling hyped, but it allows sound to decay with greater depth.

Although for iems something more portable like a dap makes sense. The Sony zx300 and wm1a pop to mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back