Anything better than ER-4P for me?
Nov 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cpach

New Head-Fier
I have seemingly lost my ER-6 headphones, and even if they do turn up, I'm interested in an upgrade from them. So there's the matter of what to upgrade to.

Is there anything I'm likely to like better than the ER-4Ps at a roughly comparable price? I generally liked the sound of my ER-6s, though I might prefer somewhat more forward bass, and perhaps a slightly warmer overall character, but still with lots of detail. Still, my non-portable/isolating rig is a pair of K701s or Mackie HR-826 studio monitors, which are both on the bright/analytical end of things.

Furthermore, my primary reason for having IEMs is isolation--and the ER-4Ps are known to isolate very well.

I listen predominantly to classical, especially lots of choral and chamber music. I also listen to a spattering of IDM, and a fair amount of rock (Radiohead, Sonic Youth), but powerful thumping bass isn't as important to me as bass extension and clarity.

Sources will be either my Macbook's audio out (for composing, and general coffee shop usage), my iPod Classic 80GB, or my Macbook running through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro into a Gilmore Lite headphone amplifier. If I get a ER-4P I can pick up a P-to-S converter for the amp.

So is there anything else besides the ER-4Ps I should be looking at? Let's say I'd like to keep this under $200.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
HF5?? maybe. I've heard they are a great balance of the ER6i and the ER4.. and some say are better than the ER4... just a little suggestion.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Just buy the ER-4P... I find them considerably better than the ER-6 in every way (except maybe cord noise, but your uses probably won't show that anyway).

They isolate better, have better bass, more detail, etc. You really can't go wrong if you liked the ER-6 at all. I've been enjoying my ER-4's for years and am sure I will continue to. I've felt no need to move beyond them for my portable use. I still have the ER-6, but only use them in a pinch... they pretty much stay in my car, just in case. I used them at work this week because our roof was getting worked on and missed the ER-4 the whole time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Under $200, no. Get the ER.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF5?? maybe. I've heard they are a great balance of the ER6i and the ER4.. and some say are better than the ER4... just a little suggestion.

Yes HF5 is deffinately a possibillity. Cheaper, better ergonomics and essentially the same sound (possibly slightly less treble sparkle and slightly fuller bass) as the ER4-P

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks everyone, I'm just going to go order ER-4Ps. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything else. I mean, $160 is a good value compared to some high end IEMs, but its still a crapton of money. But they're honestly well suited to my tastes, budget, etc. Time to stop worrying and listen to and make some music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back