Anything better @ $499 than Koss ESP/95X for high fidelity?
Dec 23, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #31 of 46
I picked up the Koss 95x for $412 shipped (massdrop). Plenty of value there at this price, i mostly listen to blues and Jazz they are very acceptable. The energizer will clip if you drive them too hard but this is a known issue. Otherwise solid value if you can’t afford at least double the price for entry into estat world.Happy listening.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #33 of 46
Dec 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 46
how? It shows up at $400
004A9A0F-D4BB-4412-B0F8-AB52F4A43D0C.jpeg

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 46
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #37 of 46
I’m pretty sure $ is a dollar sign and not a euro sign.
Well it said EU. I thought was meant it was shipping to the EU.

Mine comes up $400 so lucky you.

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #38 of 46
I’m pretty sure $ is a dollar sign and not a euro sign.
looking closer there are 2 entries for this product. One says EU at the end. Guessing that is the EU version. Make sure you got the right one.

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #39 of 46
Merry Christmas everyone!

I can only say thanks to Drop and Koss for providing a Christmas surprise for their EU ESP95x version at $290. I guess i am part of the lucky few that got the Koss combo for that price. I saw it go out of stock after 2 hours so i guess a very limited number was available.

Can't wait to get these. Always wanted an electrostatic setup.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #40 of 46
Merry Christmas everyone!

I can only say thanks to Drop and Koss for providing a Christmas surprise for their EU ESP95x version at $290. I guess i am part of the lucky few that got the Koss combo for that price. I saw it go out of stock after 2 hours so i guess a very limited number was available.

Can't wait to get these. Always wanted an electrostatic setup.

Merry Christmas. This is so exciting. Electrostatics for only $290 USD. Can’t wait for mine. Yes they sold out so fast.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #41 of 46
Just ordered these now that the 120v version is back in stock. I'm excited to hear them and am preparing myself to be underwhelmed by the bass. But if it's similar to the HD800, it should be fine.

What impact did those Vesper Audio pads have on the sound signature?

And how do people care for them to keep dust out as much as possible?

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #42 of 46
So the Vesper Pads I believe are similar to the pads on the 95X, as the Massdrop 95X has a pad swap already installed when they ship,

The sub bass extension is fairly flat it's just a little recessed, so while I find HD 800 to be better it's not rolled off like HD 600, personally I kinda like 95X over HD 600 the only draw back is the amp which I don't always have hooked up

Tho hopefully I can find a better amp for the 95X as it's likely the only eStat I'm going to need/want,

still for $400 even the system as a whole is difficult to beat if you like a more neutral/flat or "studio" sound, the new JDS Labs Atom Dac @theotherjude, is likely going to be a excellent $100 dac to pair with it making the whole package $500 pretty stunning, but if you want something with boosted or a more "forward" or "fun" sound 95X isn't for you, still if you enjoy that more linear polite presentation than I think it's quite literally the best thing under $1000, an if your curious check out my Review of the Hifiman Jade II vs HD 800 and 95X [as I talk about how good 95X is in comparison]

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #43 of 46
Not sure who makes the earpads for the 95X but the Vespa pads I have on my 950 are angled and a lot thicker. Comfort LVL = Angels massage my ears while I blast music through them.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #45 of 46
I can only give you my personal input based on owning a pair of Koss ESP950 and Audeze LCD-2. I own the Koss version, ESP950, same package as the Drop 95x, but with pleather pads and leather case. My Audeze is an LCD-2 (Fazer version w/ vegan pads), not the LCD-2c (non-Fazer).

What I prefer from my LCD-2 over the ESP950:
Bass goes lower and with less distortion at higher volumes
Lower mids seem smoother to me
Can play louder / higher volumes
Can handle complex music well

What I prefer from the ESP950 over the LCD-2:
The mids are more even and extended. The mids are quite pleasant, which is part of the reason I purchased them.
Highs are more present, but not harsh. I find the LCD-2 to be rolled off at the top.
They are much lighter and comfortable to wear. Sure, they are mostly plastic, but they are light. LCD-2 hurt the top of my head after 2 hrs use.

The LCD-2 are more portable as you don't need to haul the energizer around.

I read that you can adapt a Stax Pro (high voltage) energizer to work with the ESP950 / ESP95x for an increase in sound quality.

In the end, I use my ESP950 more than my LCD-2 due to weight. I also think it's more relaxed sounding in a good way. There's also times I just want to jam out at higher volumes with my LCD-2. I'll eventually do the Stax energizer upgrade.

At the price the ESP95x are being sold, try them for a couple months and if you don't like them, just sell them for a little less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back