Anyone want to discuss Vista? I hate Bill.
Oct 19, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #46 of 49
Larry, I think you misread my post, or perhaps I didn't explain what I was trying to say clearly. I'm sympathetic to your position, and I realize you didn't choose Vista. What I'm saying is that now that you've been burnt, give alternative vendors a serious look next time you're in the market for hardware or software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryVale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have programs that will only run under XP and I was not going to suddenly switch OS's in midstream so to speak.

Be aware that solutions exist on other platforms, such as VMWare Fusion, which let you run all your old software. And I'm not talking in a big Window with the rest of Windows surrounding them, I'm talking as first-class citizens in the new operating system, which can be manipulated and switched to like any other native application. Also, these solutions do not require you to spend money on a new Windows license; you can use one of your old XP licenses, and keep using it to run your legacy Windows apps, while enjoying the benefits of whatever new system you choose.

Quote:

I may not be a "savvy computer user" I'm simply a user that wants mail, EAC, multiple software and hardware items to simply work as I would expect them to. I feel like a beta tester for MS.

I agree with you. These are not unreasonable expectations by any stretch, and you have been treated as a beta tester. This is not going to change unless people people start voting with their wallets and choosing alternative vendors. Complaining to Bill (more properly, to Steve Ballmer or Steven Sinovsky, who are more responsible for the current state of Vista) is not going to do anything. They won't care unless people start voting with their wallets.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I think you misread my post, or perhaps I didn't explain what I was trying to say clearly. I'm sympathetic to your position, and I realize you didn't choose Vista. What I'm saying is that now that you've been burnt, give alternative vendors a serious look next time you're in the market for hardware or software.

I knew you were being sympathetic to my position.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was explaining the situation more fully, and poking fun at those sophisticated Vista users. Not computer users.

Do you remember Clevon Little holding a gun to himself in Blazing Saddles and begging for mercy and the townspeople "accepting" that there was another person holding the gun to his head? Their expectations and assumption that the new sherriff was so dumb lead them to be incredibly stupid.

I was letting myself be seen as the dumb sherrif since thats all some folks expected of me, while they have been drinking the MS kool-aid.

Obviously if I have a complaint it must be because I'm one of them there dumb computer hillbillies. How completely arrogant!

Why do I need to spend more money on hardware to get less useability? Because MS says I need it???? It's good for me? Because sophisticated vista users know I just want an OS to be able to run MY simple applications and thats totally boring. How smooth a computer game plays and how fast a processor can run a particular test is where it's at!

I try to stay within somones assumptions about my position in order to get across a point. Perhaps a convoluted way. I watched a friend of mine, a teacher get physically lower than others especially when presenting something that might be considered threatening otherwise.

Theres a song from a one album wonder group in the 80's titled "I'll play the fool for you".

You did clue me in on some ways of getting around the OS's nature. Thanks!

k1000smile.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #48 of 49
I've been using Vista for a few months now, and really it isn't a bad operating system. One of the features I just can't live without now is the easy launch button. I love features that keeps me from having to constantly switch from the keyboard to mouse. Switcher and windows key launching rock. Other utilities like great Voice Recognition, Easy transfer from pc-to-pc (vista to vista) are not really given enough attention. I implore everyone to give the speech recognition a shot. Dictating application openings and navigation has an eerie future feeling to it. Although the system isn't without its flaws, it's the best kick at the can, plus every version of windows vista has it free. Take that OS X and Linux!

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. I implore everyone to give the speech recognition a shot. Dictating application openings and navigation has an eerie future feeling to it. Although the system isn't without its flaws, it's the best kick at the can, plus every version of windows vista has it free. Take that OS X and Linux!

Uh, just so you know, OS X has had speech recognition built in for a long time. It is nice to see Vista finally adding it though. I agree, it is pretty nice. One of the fun demo features is to say, "Computer, tell me a joke." Then it engages you in a knock-knock joke. Of course, it doesn't just tell jokes. Application navigation, etc. works too.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting a small, shirt-clippable bluetooth mic so I can speak commands to iTunes while I'm in the kitchen washing dishes, but I've never bothered, since the infrared remote works fine, and it's not expensive to replace if I bump it into the sink accidentally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back